PDA

View Full Version : Twin Cities

Bob Yarbrough
01-02-2006, 10:06 AM
How many Creekers from the St. Paul / Minneapolis area are there? Ever think about a get together?

Thomas Prondzinski
01-02-2006, 10:24 AM
Bob
I'm from Medford, 50 miles south of twin cities. Tyler got a group together after one of the woodshows a couple years ago.I'd be game for this.

Tom

Chad Pater
01-02-2006, 10:36 AM
Yeah I wanted to go to that but ended up I was too busy here on the farm. Winter time would be better for me. Isn't there a show by the St Paul River center in March or April?

Charlie Kocourek
01-02-2006, 10:37 AM
I attended the get together with Tyler a few years ago and I would be up for another!

Tyler Howell
01-02-2006, 12:22 PM
Was a nice turn out for a first shot as the guys said. Let's do it again. I can help.;)

Rick Schubert
01-02-2006, 9:53 PM
I am in Mpls a fair amount in the winter and would sure be up for it.

Rick

Dale Thompson
01-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Was a nice turn out for a first shot as the guys said. Let's do it again. I can help.;)

Hey Tyler,
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND YOURS!! :)

Anyway, I can't understand why a bunch of "normal" folks would want to get together with YOU!? :confused: All they will do is listen to you whine about how many pics they have posted over the last decade! :) Of course, they may also be the fortunate recipients of your incredible philosophy and neat way with words. ;) :)

DANG! If the logging trails between here and the Twin Cities weren't blocked by Wolves, Cougars, Bears, Snarling Gnus and Viking Fans, I would even attempt the trip myself! :)

Dale T.

Frank Chaffee
01-02-2006, 11:35 PM
Tyler,
I was born in the good ole MPLS of A and have some reasons to visit there this year. I would love to combine that visit with a Creeker gathering. Please let me know of any pending plans.
Thanks,
Frank

Dave Richards
01-03-2006, 7:01 AM
I used to live in St. Paul. Could I come?

Dale Thompson
01-03-2006, 7:37 PM
I used to live in St. Paul. Could I come?

Dave,
I REALLY love your signature! :D I've repeated it at the last few gatherings of all of my Norwegian relatives. I've been told that I am no longer welcome at these events. ;) Could ANYONE ask for a HAPPIER New Years gift? :confused: :) :D

Dale T. :)

Dave Richards
01-03-2006, 9:00 PM
Thanks Dale. I can't take credit for it, though. All the credit belongs to some old Norse fisherman who has likely gone to feed the cod.

I don't know why your Norwegian relatives would ban you from their gatherings for that old saying though. If you're going to get banned it should be for something good like, "What do you call a Norwegian under a wheelbarrow?" or "You know why Norwegians can't tell jokes?Timing." You gotta say dat last vun witout waiting for the "No. Why?" part. :D

BTW, I got both of those from my father in law who is 100% Norse. I figure they must be safe to tell. ;)

Dale Thompson
01-03-2006, 9:58 PM
[QUOTE=Dave Richards "What do you call a Norwegian under a wheelbarrow?" [/QUOTE]

Dave,
Ve Novegians are too smart to be caught up in all of this "Politically Correct" stuff. Ve hav fun yust teasing each udder vith da fax! :) :cool: Anyhows, ve is prowd uv r nasional hairatige! After all, ve invented the veel - ve ovurcookd it doe. Ve yust soked it in lie, allowed it to rot an renamed it Lutefisk!! :cool: ;) :D

Ifn youse gives me da "wheelbarrow" answer, I vil tel your fodder-in-law how he can tell ven a bunch of Norvegians has gone on a choclat binge. Vatever, youse can tell by the piles of M&M shells lieing aroun' on da floor! :) ;)

Dale T.

Tyler Howell
01-03-2006, 10:55 PM
Tyler,
I was born in the good ole MPLS of A and have some reasons to visit there this year. I would love to combine that visit with a Creeker gathering. Please let me know of any pending plans.
Thanks,
Frank
Hey, Frank I suspected a connection, I'm just trying to figure which lake by I 694 you use to bike to and camp at???

Sounds like we got some local planning to do.

Pesh as long as you keep posting pix of your daughter and grand kids we'll let you come. Better yet send them and you hold the fort.

Frank Chaffee
01-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Tyler,
It was Silver Lake, on property that my Scout troop used to go to.

We did one outing each month of the year and if it was not below zero we also did an overnight.

I look forward to sharing more with you, where ever, when ever.

‘Till then Tyler,
Frank

Dale Thompson
01-03-2006, 11:29 PM
[/I][/B]

Tyler,
I've never received a more heart-felt invitation! :) :cool: While drowning in my tears of appreciation, I can't help but think that you may be a better guy than I thought you were!?! :) ;) By the way, was there a second sentence to your message?!? I was so teary eyed that I just couldn't READ it!! :confused: :) :)

Dale T.

Dave Richards
01-04-2006, 6:42 AM
Tyler, we might just have to let Pesh come. He'll feel right at home with all dem Norwegians.

Pesh, the answer is, "a mechanic." And I'm going to tell your joke. :D

David Wilson
01-04-2006, 8:59 AM
Can I come too?

Bruce Haugen
01-04-2006, 10:38 AM

We did one outing each month of the year and if it was not below zero we also did an overnight.

Frank,
The BSA Northern Lights Council gives out a Zero Hero badge for camping out 24 hours when the temp is BELOW zero. The coldest temp my troop camped at was -25F, -65F with the wind chill.

Bruce, a ND native, now transplanted to MN.

Scott D Johnson
01-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Went to college in St. Paul. Does that qualify me as Minnesotan? Had to pay state tax for 3 years.

Tyler Howell
01-04-2006, 1:54 PM

Frank,
The BSA Northern Lights Council gives out a Zero Hero badge for camping out 24 hours when the temp is BELOW zero. The coldest temp my troop camped at was -25F, -65F with the wind chill.

Bruce, a ND native, now transplanted to MN.
We did -10 with the Girl Scouts, wasn't my idea:o .

Tyler Howell
01-04-2006, 2:01 PM
Well Bob and fellow Minnesotans, Do you have any ideas and a time line for a "Yall Come"????
I tied mine to the shirt tails of a WW show in town for those that would be coming anyway.
I haven't heard or seen anything on the horizon.
Maybe the MN. WW Guild. Their annual show is coming up in February I think.:o
We'd love to have our cheesie creekers join us too.
What do you think???

Gredo Goldenstein
01-04-2006, 5:11 PM
When is the MN WW Guild show? I would love to go and get together with other Creekers. It would be a nice break during a MN winter.

Gredo Goldenstein

Tyler Howell
01-04-2006, 6:42 PM
The Northern Woods Exphibition is April 27 to April 30, 2006 at Southdale Center. See mnwwg.org for details. I think they are still taking entries for the friendly compitition.
No wolves bears or major snow storms that time of year Pesh.

Bob Yarbrough
01-04-2006, 6:57 PM
When & where, I ready.

Frank Chaffee
01-04-2006, 7:34 PM
Wow Tyler,
Minus ten! That is deep. Cold I mean.
Frank

Frank Chaffee
01-04-2006, 7:49 PM
Bruce Haugen,
My father was a transplant from North Dakota also. Carrington. A few years ago he got too old to live alone in Minneapolis and I came back from Arizona and moved him here to my mother’s house so we could take care of him. He died at home.

This year I will move back to AZ with LOML.

My kindergarten teacher at Tuttle School was named Miss Haugen. I’m sure she is related to you. The Twin Cities are still a small town, right?

Our Boy Scout Troop did a double overnight at Carlos Avery Game Preserve once when the temps did go below zero. I never saw any -25° tho!!! You should get 25 badges for that!

Frank

Bruce Haugen
01-04-2006, 8:09 PM
Hi, Frank
there are several batches of Haugens in ND, and as it turns out, it is a fairly common Norwegian name, meaning "hill." I grew up maybe 100 miles from Carrington.

The Zero Hero patch was earned if your troop camped out when the temp reached below zero at any time during a 24 hour period of the campout. The Montana district council awarded one called "100 degrees of frost," which was a lot tougher. To earn that one, you had to camp out in weather that accumulated 100 degrees of camping in temps below zero. And you got credit for the number of hours at that temp. My troop earned that one in two days. Uffda! that was cold.

Bruce

Frank Chaffee
01-04-2006, 9:15 PM
Bruce,
Holy ka you know what!!!
Frank

Charlie Kocourek
01-05-2006, 12:30 PM
The Mn. WW Guild show is great. I like Tylers idea of meeting at Southdale during the Guild show.

Dave Richards
01-05-2006, 1:15 PM
Southdale it is but I still don't know if I'm invited. I might just have to crash the party. :D

Tyler Howell
01-05-2006, 1:41 PM
Southdale it is but I still don't know if I'm invited. I might just have to crash the party. :D
Don't Know Dave,
You might have to bring wife and child in order to get in Just like Pesh.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: .
All are welcome;)

Gary Kittleson
01-05-2006, 2:02 PM
There is a couple of us in Rochester.

Gary

Dave Richards
01-05-2006, 2:19 PM
Tyler, I might just inflict them on you. Do you remember how to change diapers? :D

Gary, it appears you don't live too far from me either. We might have to meet. What station are you at?

PeterTorresani
01-05-2006, 6:48 PM
Name the Time and place.

I assume Seven Corners still has a show. I haven't been there in 4-5 years

PeterTorresani
01-05-2006, 6:51 PM
Frank, I noticed the Arena location on your post. Friends and I take a canoe trip from Arena to Lone Rock every year. Never thought anyone really lived there.

Dale Thompson
01-05-2006, 8:39 PM
Never thought anyone really lived there.

Peter,
Actually, no one does! :) ;) It just happens that Frank has a fire number in the area. :D Sorry Frank, old bud, I just couldn't pass it up. :cool: I used to take a lot of flack on Peshtigo also - until it burned down! :( ;) :) I forget. Was that LAST week or NEXT week? :confused: ;) EGADS! I'M STARTING TO FEEL THE HEAT ALREADY! :eek:

Dale T.

Frank Chaffee
01-05-2006, 9:09 PM
Peter,
Dale Thompson is correct in stating that no one actually lives in Arena. There are however some small number of encampments here where we poor natives huddle our meager masses together to conserve body heat, and we had to get some fire numbers in order to keep from having our warming fires doused by DNR planes during the one month of winter here.

I know all of the people here who rent canoes. Sorry you need to do business with them. [Joke]. Next summer when you come let me know and we can get together.

Frank

Frank Chaffee
01-05-2006, 9:18 PM
Dale Thompson: "EGADS! I'M STARTING TO FEEL THE HEAT ALREADY! "

Dale, my advice to you is to learn to savor the heat, as, after all is said and done, you will be feeling the heat for a long time. [Another joke].

Dale Thompson
01-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Dale, my advice to you is to learn to savor the heat, as, after all is said and done, you will be feeling the heat for a long time. [Another joke].

Frank,
I should know better than to leave myself open like that. :( :D GOOD SHOT!! ;) :) :D

Dale T.

Frank Chaffee
01-05-2006, 10:11 PM
Dale,
You would have thought less of me if I had missed the opportunity.
Your friend,
Frank

Chad Pater
01-23-2006, 12:53 PM
The Northern Woods Exphibition is April 27 to April 30, 2006 at Southdale Center. See mnwwg.org for details. I think they are still taking entries for the friendly compitition.

I'll try and revive this thread...

I don't believe we picked a date. The 29th is a Saturday. Maybe meet in the afternoon and grab something to eat after? Is South Dale the mall with The Cheese Cake Factory in it? (Good food not just cheese cake).

Please add your thoughts as this is just an idea.

Rick Schubert
01-23-2006, 1:16 PM
Yes, Southdale has a Cheese Cake Factory. It is bordered by France Ave and Xerxes Ave and 66th & 69th Streets in Edina, just south of Minneapolis.

Rick

Tyler Howell
01-23-2006, 1:53 PM
Cheese Cake Factory may be a challenge. (Good food but spendy). They didn't take reservations last time I checked. Long lines on weekends. Not the best for 'meet and greet'.
Last time it was hard to select a location because of slow reservations, no shows and surprise guests. They don't balance out.
Do you want to secure a room with $$$$$ up front???
An odd meeting time like 3-4 it may be easier to get a group of seats.

Mark J Bachler
01-23-2006, 7:59 PM
HHHHHHHHmmmmmmmmmm sounds like you guys need a token cheesehead to pick on.

Dale Thompson
01-23-2006, 10:49 PM
Cheese Cake Factory may be a challenge. (Good food but spendy). They didn't take reservations last time I checked. Long lines on weekends. Not the best for 'meet and greet'.
Last time it was hard to select a location because of slow reservations, no shows and surprise guests. They don't balance out.

Hey Tyler,
It looks like the confidence of the entire Forum is directed toward you!! :eek: EGADS!! This Forum is failing RAPIDLY!! :)

I don't want to hobble seven jillion miles to spend money that I don't have at a Strip Joint called, "Cheese Cake Factory". We have a couple of those within a couple of miles of my house and it only takes me seven or eight hours to guide my wheelchair to them - even on icy roads. :cool: ;)

Maybe you should start a new thread on this subject. Are we talking about visiting a previously scheduled Symposium where demos and vendors will be available or are we just going to get together and lie to each other for a few hours? :confused: I'm for the latter because I am MUCH better at lying than I am at woodworking! :(

Whatever, I've got certain restrictions to my interest:
- Will Spring appear without his wax mustache?
- Is Karl "Dells" REALLY invited?
- Will "Arena Frank" be required to "check his firearms" at the door?
- Do we REALLY have to go on a "Boat Ride" with the Vikings?
- Will my protective brace of 14' King Cobras be welcomed with open arms?

There are others but I've got a GREAT idea for a "Cover Charge". Everyone has to bring a sample or a picture of their WORST woodworking disaster. :cool: :) If anyone has a problem with that, just PM me and I figure that I can supply pretty much everyone in the entire universe. :cool: :)

Dale T.

Chad Pater
01-24-2006, 11:13 AM

Good points...although we should be able to get a seated at 3 or 4 I would think. Also, it just was just a thought, I open to better ideas:) .

Chad Pater
01-24-2006, 11:18 AM
Maybe you should start a new thread on this subject. Are we talking about visiting a previously scheduled Symposium where demos and vendors will be available or are we just going to get together and lie to each other for a few hours? :confused: I'm for the latter because I am MUCH better at lying than I am at woodworking! :( Dale T.

Dale, I'm not familier with this show so other will need to chime in, but I believe this is just finished peices on display. So no demos and the the such here.....think "Please do not touch!!" instead.

Thomas Prondzinski
01-24-2006, 5:50 PM
Chad
You are correct this is a show of members and non-members of the Minnesota Woodworkers Guild, this is a furniture show of members work.I entered a piece two years ago,would like to but running out of time. Usually has 50 to 75 pieces on display.

Tom

Gredo Goldenstein
01-24-2006, 8:42 PM
Any room for a fellow chipper from St. Cloud? I look forward to the show at Southdale. Just let me know where and when.