PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on new Woodpeckers DP Pro Drill Press Fence

John Goodin
11-03-2020, 11:58 PM
Does anyone have experience or thoughts about the new woodpecker drill press fence? Basically it is hollow aluminum rectangle tube with with an opening in the center and attachment for a shop vac on the end. This allows the fence to be a conduit for dust collection. The link below also show the new table as well but I am most interested in the fence.

https://www.woodpeck.com/dp-pro-drill-press-table.html (https://www.woodpeck.com/dp-pro-drill-press-table.html)

Steve Wurster
11-04-2020, 6:41 AM
I doubt anyone has any experience yet, as they're not due to ship until the end of the year. I ordered one of the fences a few months back, so my wait time keeps getting larger.

I'm not convinced it will work extremely well, but I'm still hoping it works better than the stay-put hose I use these days. While the suction from that hose is good, it doesn't truly "stay put" when working, especially if you have to move the piece along to cut a series of holes, or if you're swapping in and out pieces. My main concern with the Woodpecker's fence is the size of the channel, and how well large shavings from Forstner bits will travel in there. I'm hoping they don't get stuck regularly.

Matt Day
11-04-2020, 7:17 AM
Sure looks purdy!

It wouldn’t fly on my DP, fence is way too high. The handles would hit it too much.

It also wouldn’t fit my budget, lol.

William Chain
11-04-2020, 8:03 AM
It’ll be like all the other WP stuff - pretty, functional, and dramatically overpriced.

Brian Tymchak
11-04-2020, 8:34 AM
It’ll be like all the other WP stuff - pretty, functional, and dramatically overpriced.

Whoa, that is a high price. If your heart is not set on thw WP fence, may I recommend checking into the Woodcraft fence (https://www.woodcraft.com/products/deluxe-drill-press-fence-woodriver) ? I bought that recently and it with a couple $15 T-track clamps does everything I need a fence to do at 25% the cost.

Steve Wurster
11-04-2020, 8:43 AM
Whoa, that is a high price. If your heart is not set on thw WP fence, may I recommend checking into the Woodcraft fence (https://www.woodcraft.com/products/deluxe-drill-press-fence-woodriver) ? I bought that recently and it with a couple $15 T-track clamps does everything I need a fence to do at 25% the cost.

That's why I only ordered the 24" fence from Woodpecker's and not their table or anything else. The fence is the same size as ones from Rockler and Woodcraft, roughly the same price, and I already have a table that should work fine for the fence.

Jim Becker
11-04-2020, 9:11 AM
I really like some of the ideas behind this design for sure and may incorporate one or more into my planned DP table upgrade...the one I've been using since about 2000 needs replaced.

Larry Frank
11-04-2020, 9:24 AM
Like all other Woodpecker tools it is pretty and EXPENSIVE. I have built my own with several similar features for a lot less.

William Chain
11-04-2020, 9:25 AM
Guys - you can buy extruded aluminum with t-track built in or just plain t-track from amazon in a large variety of sizes and dimensions. Cut it down with a non-ferrous metal blade and make anything you like. DP fence, flattening jig, tables with t-track, whatever. Their prices are ridiculous for what you get, and it's stuff you can bang out in an hour from cheap starting materials. Even the connection hardware is accessible on amazon. Cheap.

Sanford Imhoff
11-04-2020, 10:46 AM
Sure looks purdy!

It wouldn’t fly on my DP, fence is way too high. The handles would hit it too much.

It also wouldn’t fit my budget, lol.

This is the issue to watch for. Tall, long fences are often a problem interfering with the DP handle.

Bob Jones 5443
11-04-2020, 12:28 PM
Yikes, that price. Why not save the photos for inspiration and make your own, using the features that resonate with you? I made mine out of all wood last year, with earthbound-priced T-tracks and hold-downs. It does everything I need, including precise, sturdy xy settings and nifty dust and chip pickup, plus several extras. It has revolutionized my drill press use. It turned out nice: I admire it every time I use it. I daresay I appreciate it far more because I made it, rather than one that would have cost me almost five hundred bucks. It's a drill press.

Orlando Gonzalez
11-04-2020, 7:57 PM
I doubt anyone has any experience yet, as they're not due to ship until the end of the year. I ordered one of the fences a few months back, so my wait time keeps getting larger.

I'm not convinced it will work extremely well, but I'm still hoping it works better than the stay-put hose I use these days. While the suction from that hose is good, it doesn't truly "stay put" when working, especially if you have to move the piece along to cut a series of holes, or if you're swapping in and out pieces. My main concern with the Woodpecker's fence is the size of the channel, and how well large shavings from Forstner bits will travel in there. I'm hoping they don't get stuck regularly.

I ordered the 36" fence, a couple of stops, and the base since I already have the table and have to wait until they decide to ship it. But I think that it will be a good product.

Frederick Skelly
11-04-2020, 8:13 PM
It"s pretty and it will be high quality. But I dont personally need anything that elaborate, especially at that price. But if YOU can get full use out of it, you'll probably enjoy it.Bet you could build your own if you wanted to.

(Full disclosure. I have a harbor fright DP table that cost me $20, and I still dont use all if it's capabilities. The one you're looking at would be wasted on the likes of me. :) :) :) )

David M Peters
11-04-2020, 10:19 PM
It solves a lot of problems that I don't have, but I do like those micro-adjust flip stops! And adding a drawer beneath is smart.

I got a chuckle out of the massive pile of forstner bit shavings in the video...

David Buchhauser
11-05-2020, 7:47 AM
Does anyone have experience or thoughts about the new woodpecker drill press fence? Basically it is hollow aluminum rectangle tube with with an opening in the center and attachment for a shop vac on the end. This allows the fence to be a conduit for dust collection. The link below also show the new table as well but I am most interested in the fence.

https://www.woodpeck.com/dp-pro-drill-press-table.html

It looks very similar to what I have on my Kreg router table.
David

Derek Cohen
11-05-2020, 8:57 AM
So many drill press tables use a square replaceable section at the centre of the table. This can be rotated to offer a fresh surface.

My preference is a round replaceable section which is off set. The square section provides 4 sides, while the round offers an infinite number.

https://i.postimg.cc/VNkbDqP3/Wixey3.jpg

I purchased, then sold, the Woodcraft fence. It, like the WP fence, made provision for dust collection. I could not get it to work well enough - with a Festool CT26e and either 27 or 36mm hoses - and in the end decided it was irrelevant.

Simpler is better ...

https://i.postimg.cc/zvs1htYS/fence2.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Becker
11-05-2020, 9:17 AM
My plan is to duplicate that insert arrangement, Derek, when I get to making my new DP table "someday". Maybe even soon given cooler weather coming in this hemisphere and most of my clients going out of business. I have lots of personal projects lined up!

Steve Wurster
11-05-2020, 9:18 AM
So many drill press tables use a square replaceable section at the centre of the table. This can be rotated to offer a fresh surface.

My preference is a round replaceable section which is off set. The square section provides 4 sides, while the round offers an infinite number.

Completely agree, Derek, and that's what I did with my table. I still haven't flipped my insert over to use the other side yet, and I made this table a few years back!

Clifford McGuire
11-05-2020, 9:44 PM
Derek, is the laser an add on to the Nova?

Bob Jones 5443
11-06-2020, 1:06 AM
I made my insert blanks square because I thought a round one might want to rotate under torque from the drill bit. But square was easier to make, and I just quickly made eight 4x4” blanks from 1/2” Baltic Birch ply. So fast and easy on the table saw, and the recess in the table was fast and easy to make with a plunge router and a straight fence.

Each blank can be used in eight spots if all you do is rotate and flip them, but I can also move the table a few mm right or left, giving me dozens of backing spots for each blank. I’m still on my first one, but when I come to the end of the line I’ll dash off eight more.

Derek, yours is elegant, but I may have almost as many position possibilities.

Derek Cohen
11-06-2020, 6:06 AM
Derek, is the laser an add on to the Nova?

Clifford, it is a Wixey.

My apology to all if I sound like a broken record on some of these accessories and machines. I just love using them ... :)

The Wixey laser ...

https://i.postimg.cc/d0NZXhqD/Wixey2.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Z5ZNyk7Y/Wixey1.jpg

Invaluable for setting up accurate drilling for mortices in these stool ...

https://i.postimg.cc/g0tXN4Fj/6.jpg

One done, two to go ...

https://i.postimg.cc/RC1HGwLm/25.jpg

The Nova Voyager also lacks a down light ... which, to be honest, I have not really missed. Nevertheless, the one I have found easiest to add is a rechargeable bicycle light, with an epoxied on magnet ...

https://i.postimg.cc/fbjcV0Gn/bike-light1a.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/3wHjrZbF/bike-light2a.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Alan Lightstone
11-06-2020, 9:20 AM
Derek:

Yup, put the Wixey laser on my Nova also. Really is nice, though a bit of a pain to initially set up.

I've been using square MDF inserts on my Woodpeckers table because they are so quick and easy to make. Seems like a lot more work to make round inserts (though no question they are more useful as they should last much longer.)

One problem I have had on all of these tables is the ability to clamp small pieces. The T-tracks are always too far apart. I modified my last drill press table to have a horizontal t-track as well as the two vertical ones. Far, far easier to clamp that way.

Brian Tymchak
11-06-2020, 9:37 AM
One problem I have had on all of these tables is the ability to clamp small pieces. The T-tracks are always too far apart. I modified my last drill press table to have a horizontal t-track as well as the two vertical ones. Far, far easier to clamp that way.

Well that just makes too much sense. Good idea Alan.

Derek Cohen
11-06-2020, 9:48 AM
Derek:

Yup, put the Wixey laser on my Nova also. Really is nice, though a bit of a pain to initially set up.

I've been using square MDF inserts on my Woodpeckers table because they are so quick and easy to make. Seems like a lot more work to make round inserts (though no question they are more useful as they should last much longer.)

Alan, what are needed are longer arms on the clamps! :)

The round inserts literally take a minute to make a half dozen at a time ...

https://i.postimg.cc/nVXxVhqY/DP2a.jpg

They are marked out from a template, bandsaw them just oversize, and then a quick turn to size on the lathe.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Alan Lightstone
11-06-2020, 10:29 AM
Alan, what are needed are longer arms on the clamps! :)

The round inserts literally take a minute to make a half dozen at a time ...

https://i.postimg.cc/nVXxVhqY/DP2a.jpg

They are marked out from a template, bandsaw them just oversize, and then a quick turn to size on the lathe.

Regards from Perth

Derek

No lathe. Sigh...

So square it is.

Steve Wurster
11-06-2020, 10:38 AM
No lathe. Sigh...

So square it is.

Once you've done one you do the rest with a flush trim bit. That's what I did anyway.

Brian Tymchak
11-06-2020, 12:07 PM
No lathe. Sigh...

So square it is.

Can easily set up a quick and dirty circle sanding jig for a one-off run of 5 or 6 inserts if you have belt or disk sander. Even though I have a lathe, that's how I did my first insert.

Mike Goetzke
01-15-2021, 2:02 PM
I just ordered a Nova Voyager and started looking at tables & fences. I went to WP site and saw the new DP-Pro and at first was same as most in sticker shock, but, if you built your own table and had all the features of the WP you would come to around the same price. Probably $200 for a phenolic/microdot table with t-tracks, another $100 for the tall fence, and another $100 for flip-stops and clamps.

I made a table years ago for my current Ridgid drill press based on plans from Wood Magazine (think I saw Woodcraft sells them). This has a hardboard top with t-track, a tall fence with t-track for stops, and extendable arms on the fence. I see the WP table extends but isn't extendable fence better?

If anyone has used the new fence or purchased the who system I would appreciate the feedback.

Steve Wurster
01-15-2021, 2:16 PM
If anyone has used the new fence or purchased the who system I would appreciate the feedback.

I have the new fence on my homemade table. The fence works well, although I did have to extend the opening on the brackets on the back of that slightly to make it work with my T-track spacing.

Alan Lightstone
01-16-2021, 8:44 AM
I just ordered a Nova Voyager and started looking at tables & fences. I went to WP site and saw the new DP-Pro and at first was same as most in sticker shock, but, if you built your own table and had all the features of the WP you would come to around the same price. Probably $200 for a phenolic/microdot table with t-tracks, another $100 for the tall fence, and another $100 for flip-stops and clamps.

I made a table years ago for my current Ridgid drill press based on plans from Wood Magazine (think I saw Woodcraft sells them). This has a hardboard top with t-track, a tall fence with t-track for stops, and extendable arms on the fence. I see the WP table extends but isn't extendable fence better?

Mike, I have the Nova Voyager and the new Woodpeckers DP table.

Overall, the table is quite nice. The drawer underneath is actually quite handy.

There is some limitation on where the table can bolt to the DP, but not of great concern.

My criticism with the table, is one I've had with all retail DP tables. They need the horizontal T-track to hold small objects. As you can see on Steve's homemade table, and Jim Becker's table https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?288326-Shop-Project-New-Drill-Press-Table, adding that horizontal T-track I really feel is essential.

Dust collection with the new DP fence is superb. Easily the best I've run across, so kudos there.

Clamping boards, with the rods and such for the expandable arms on the sides is sometimes challenging.

I also added the Wixey DP laser. Needs a little dialing in, but a nice addition to it for sure.

Overall, quite happy with it.

Mike Goetzke
01-16-2021, 10:20 AM
Mike, I have the Nova Voyager and the new Woodpeckers DP table.

Overall, the table is quite nice. The drawer underneath is actually quite handy.

There is some limitation on where the table can bolt to the DP, but not of great concern.

My criticism with the table, is one I've had with all retail DP tables. They need the horizontal T-track to hold small objects. As you can see on Steve's homemade table, and Jim Becker's table https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?288326-Shop-Project-New-Drill-Press-Table, adding that horizontal T-track I really feel is essential.

Dust collection with the new DP fence is superb. Easily the best I've run across, so kudos there.

Clamping boards, with the rods and such for the expandable arms on the sides is sometimes challenging.

I also added the Wixey DP laser. Needs a little dialing in, but a nice addition to it for sure.

Overall, quite happy with it.

Thanks Alan - exactly what I was looking for. So the expanding table is not really a great value?

How do you like the new fence flip-stops?

I also have these extrusions called TrackTubes I bought for my MFT slab table support. They are basically an aluminum 2x4. I'm wondering if I can use a section and cut a center section out for dust collection and add extensions like my current fence has. Problem would be the flip stops. This extrusion has a t-track in the top but doubt it's compatible with any flipstops on the market.

Jim Barstow
01-16-2021, 11:17 AM
I have a bunch of woodpecker tools (not the dp table though). I view them as 75% tool, 25% work of art. When I’m gone, sell everything but make sure the Woodpecker tools go to a good home.

The thing you have to keep in mind is that these are designed and built in the US (in Ohio). One of the reasons I am willing to pay Woodpecker prices is that I know they aren’t assembled by 8 year old fingers paid $1/day required to get low prices. Woodpecker offers the consumer a choice that just isn’t available for things like electronics or cell phones. We just have to acknowledge that buying American from ethical sources costs more.

Justin Rapp
01-16-2021, 7:08 PM
I have the 1st DP table from Woodpecker along with the DP3 fence. It works great and having the stops on the tracks make it easy for repeat drilling into multiple parts. Clamping also works great. The DP3 fence to hold work on edge is also really 90 degrees, at least with the 3 right angles I have checked it with. (Unlike my router fence from rockler which I had to shim to 90).

On the DPPro, I do like the ability to go wider, with up to a 48" fence however, the table isn't very deep which I don't like for larger pieces. The price for it does seem a bit excessive. $400+ is approaching about 1/2 the price of most drill press machines.

https://www.woodpeck.com/complete-woodpeckers-drill-press-table-package-3.html
https://www.woodpeck.com/dp3-drill-press-fence.html

Woodpecker sells their rail kit and rail clamps and you can make your own table but it won't save you much money once you buy all the parts without the table.

Mike Goetzke
01-16-2021, 7:54 PM
I have a bunch of woodpecker tools (not the dp table though). I view them as 75% tool, 25% work of art. When I’m gone, sell everything but make sure the Woodpecker tools go to a good home.

The thing you have to keep in mind is that these are designed and built in the US (in Ohio). One of the reasons I am willing to pay Woodpecker prices is that I know they aren’t assembled by 8 year old fingers paid $1/day required to get low prices. Woodpecker offers the consumer a choice that just isn’t available for things like electronics or cell phones. We just have to acknowledge that buying American from ethical sources costs more.

One thing with the new DP-Pro is the site doesn’t give much info on dimensions. I’d be interested in the table depth, dimension between t-tracks, drawer/shelf... some you can guess from the pictures. I emailed them and didn’t get a response yet.

Pat Rice
01-16-2021, 8:47 PM
John, I have in the past built several drill press tables, but none had a good dust collection option. When I saw the new Woodpecker DP Pro setup it checked all the boxes for me. I have it installed and I am especially pleased with the dust collection through the fence and really like the new stops.

Steve Wurster
01-16-2021, 8:57 PM
One thing with the new DP-Pro is the site doesn’t give much info on dimensions. I’d be interested in the table depth, dimension between t-tracks, drawer/shelf... some you can guess from the pictures. I emailed them and didn’t get a response yet.

The "Specifications/FAQ's" tab on that page on their website has most of those dimensions listed. For example, the tables are listed as 20" deep in the middle and 1" thick. What's not listed in the dimension between T-tracks, but I happen to know that the fence itself supports 12-16" spacing, so the table itself is in there somewhere.

Mike Goetzke
01-16-2021, 9:13 PM
The "Specifications/FAQ's" tab on that page on their website has most of those dimensions listed. For example, the tables are listed as 20" deep in the middle and 1" thick. What's not listed in the dimension between T-tracks, but I happen to know that the fence itself supports 12-16" spacing, so the table itself is in there somewhere.

Totally missed that - thanks!

So looks like the top is wider than past models. DP3 16"x23" and the new DP-Pro 20"x24"+12" or 20"x36"+12".

Christopher Chen
08-18-2021, 11:07 AM
Can you guys offer some thoughts on what size table and fence to buy from wood peckers. For a more mobile drill press setup, the 48” table and fence seems too bulky, but maybe a game changer for certain operations, feel like I’m not thinking about something here.

Mark Klika
09-24-2021, 3:01 PM
Steve,
I was looking to do the same thing you did, use a WP 24" fence on my own table which I'm in the process of designing. You said you had to extend the opening on the back of the bracket to accommodate the T track placement. Could you tell me what the maximum spacing was originally? They don't give alot of specifications on the WP site... It looks like you're design was similar to the one Woodsmith has. Their older version had instructions on modifying the crank so it's in the front of the table. That seems particularly useful to me. Kennyearings1 on Youtube posted good video on that feature. Any issue with the round insert spinning on you? Thanks in advance. Mark

Steve Wurster
09-24-2021, 3:35 PM
Steve,
I was looking to do the same thing you did, use a WP 24" fence on my own table which I'm in the process of designing. You said you had to extend the opening on the back of the bracket to accommodate the T track placement. Could you tell me what the maximum spacing was originally? They don't give alot of specifications on the WP site... It looks like you're design was similar to the one Woodsmith has. Their older version had instructions on modifying the crank so it's in the front of the table. That seems particularly useful to me. Kennyearings1 on Youtube posted good video on that feature. Any issue with the round insert spinning on you? Thanks in advance. Mark

Mark,

From the emails that Woodpecker's provided me, the spacing on the fence supports 12-16" between track centers. Mine is closer to 18", so I had to modify it to fit.

Yes, my design is based on some Woodsmith plans. I didn't look into that crank modification idea though, as that seemed too much work for me (lol). I don't adjust the height of my table frequently enough to bother, really.

And my insert is placed so that the middle of the bit comes down pretty much half way between the center of the insert and the edge of the insert, so I have never had any issues with spinning.

Good luck with your build!

Mike Goetzke
09-24-2021, 4:20 PM
Glad I didn't end up purchasing one of these fences for a new DP. We'll not against WP but I decided to order the Nova Voyager from Zoro in January. There was a 60 day wait but was able to use a 15% off coupon. Days ticked by and I checked on the DP almost daily. The days till shipping went down to 10 days then guess what - my order was cancelled. I was very very very disappointed. I did get a letter from them saying they would honor the price when it was available. So I kept checking back and about a month later the DP shows up as available again but this time a 20% coupon worked. Yes!....No! Two months later that one is cancelled!

I'm not happy with Zoro but I have contacted them and Teknatool (Nova) and they blame each other but if you look online seems all suppliers have long lead times or are not taking orders. Here is another killer - the price of the DP has increased by $150 since January. Only good news is, I have a probably 30+year old Ridgid DP and she keeps on drilling.

OK done venting.

Mark Klika
09-25-2021, 4:56 AM
Thanks for getting back to me, Steve!

Yeah, you're right, the crank modification is alot of work. Probably be expensive too when you factor in the shipping costs. (Amazon Prime doesn't have all the parts I need).
I'm going to give it a shot anyway. I always thought that the height adjustment on a DP was a PITA.

Thanks again!
Mark

Mike King
09-25-2021, 7:51 AM
You guys just aren't looking to spend enough money:

https://ruwi.de/en/wood-line/clamping-plate/

Gordon Stump
09-25-2021, 8:42 AM
It looks precise and is very engineered! But drilling holes in wood on a drill press is not a very precise endeavor. I drill holes in the center of 7-9" wide boards. I doubt the dust extraction will be very effective at that distance. But like most things...build it and they will come. So congratulations to Woodpeckers on a beautiful drill press table.

H. Gregory Porter
09-25-2021, 12:07 PM
I wasn’t able to read all the posts in this read. In general, Woodpeckers has well made products, but you have to make an investment in them. I consider each of those I have as a lifetime tool.

Most of what they sell, I desire but I have a hard time justifying. I have a few squares, and their pen turning system. I classify it as the best on the market.

As far as drill press fences, I would consider the Mag-Switch system that Kevin Kline designed over the WP design. Just my humble opinion.

https://mag-tools.com/products/drill-press-fence-pro

Mike Wilkins
09-26-2021, 11:37 PM
I have had the Woodcraft version of the Woodpeckers table for several years (the original version). I upgraded with the new fence in the 36" version and like it a lot, especially the dust collection feature.
My only problem is with the dust collection port. I looks like a 2 1/2" size but it will not fit a 2 1/2 " hose. As usual I improvised; makes cleaning up drill chips much easier.

Vince Shriver
09-27-2021, 12:34 AM
Pat, a little unrelated, but looking at your photo I have to ask; how effective is the dust collection inside the DP fence?

George Yetka
09-27-2021, 6:57 AM
The Magswitch is nice but i wanted to go with a soft material(the only real reason to cover up the powermatic table as it was farely large for a stock table.

I bought the 2' WP pro fence. So far no complaints other than the dust port is a 2-1/4". It was deceiving in pictures with the Green hose. I 3d printed an adapter but was too loose on the 2-1/4 side. Second iteration is printing tomorrow.
Their new flip stops look nice but I had 2 Katz Moses stops on hand So I figured I wouldnt waste them

Doug Colombo
09-27-2021, 11:17 AM
The Magswitch is nice but i wanted to go with a soft material(the only real reason to cover up the powermatic table as it was farely large for a stock table.

I bought the 2' WP pro fence. So far no complaints other than the dust port is a 2-1/4". It was deceiving in pictures with the Green hose. I 3d printed an adapter but was too loose on the 2-1/4 side. Second iteration is printing tomorrow.
Their new flip stops look nice but I had 2 Katz Moses stops on hand So I figured I wouldnt waste them

Do the Katz Moses stops work with the WP Pro fence ?

Alan Lightstone
09-28-2021, 8:38 AM
Pat, a little unrelated, but looking at your photo I have to ask; how effective is the dust collection inside the DP fence?

In my experience, it's impressively effective.

Mark Klika
09-28-2021, 3:52 PM
I guess I was deceived too, George. From the photo, it looked like they were using a Festool hose. Figured I'd just be able to plug in my CT26. Guess not. WP has no schematics to peruse, at least none I could find. Called them, and it didn't sound like the tech had them available either.

Richard Coers
09-28-2021, 9:02 PM
That starting price of $400 is more than I would like to spend on a drill press!

Mark Klika
10-06-2021, 6:17 AM
Sorry Steve, some more questions.... Those cut out sections made for clamps, do you really use them? Seems like they would be more trouble than they're worth. On most DP tables they have the fence T tracks running to the front edge. Your design makes more sense to me. And that T track at the front
looks particularly useful. Mark

Steve Wurster
10-06-2021, 7:56 AM
Sorry Steve, some more questions.... Those cut out sections made for clamps, do you really use them? Seems like they would be more trouble than they're worth. On most DP tables they have the fence T tracks running to the front edge. Your design makes more sense to me. And that T track at the front
looks particularly useful. Mark

Yes, I use those cut out sections on occasion. Those are great when you have something that can't easily be clamped using a clamp that rides in the T-track. Smaller items or oddly shaped things come to mind, or something that is better held down with an F-style clamp. The openings don't get in the way at all, however debris from drilling that doesn't get picked up by the vacuum fence will obviously fall through the openings and end up on the floor.

My previous version of this table had the fence T-tracks running all the way to the front edge, and the T-track in the front ran all the way to the left and right edges (so there was a plus sign type effect where each met up). Well, okay, the tracks didn't actually run all the way, but their dado openings did. I never completed the plus sign sections with track. When I redesigned this to better fit the Woodpecker's fence I went with the design you see here, where the T-tracks are captured and there's just little openings for dropping in the bolt heads. I think this design works better, or at least looks better.

George Yetka
10-06-2021, 8:03 AM
I printed the adapter and just need to fine tune it with some sand paper to get it to work. It printed perfect on the festool side a little too big on the 2-1/4 size

Pat Rice
10-06-2021, 8:38 AM
Vince, I find the dust collection to be very good especially when drilling holes close to the fence.

Mark Klika
10-17-2021, 9:44 AM
I put a PVC elbow with a female end into the fence. It fit pretty well but I put some masking tape around it to make it more secure. Even with the tape I can still turn it. The green hose friction fits inside the male adapter. All in all, it was an instant fix that works well.466583