PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Jigs

Mason Dumanski
01-02-2006, 9:51 AM
I am a new laser owner and I am just getting the hang of it. I was wondering if anyone has an pre made jigs in Coreldraw that they would not mind uploading to the forum. I am specifically looking for a AA Maglite jig, but I will use and modify any of them that I can get my hands on.

Thanks,

Mason

Bruce Volden
01-02-2006, 12:11 PM
Mason,

You can easily create your own jigs for virtually anything with your laser! Get yourself some acrylic sheet, a caliper (for measuring a variety of items) and set to work. Lets see, AA Maglite= lenght by width (body) plus width (for beam end), using CorelDraw create the size needed for the Maglite template and cut it out. Now don't forget to save this file once you have it and it'll always be there for you!! Hope this helps you. I believe in creating my own jigs / template for each machine I have as they are all off a tiny bit (inherently?)~~if I were to use someone else's I would most likely have to test it out anyway. Hope this helps!

Bruce

Mason Dumanski
01-02-2006, 12:25 PM
I know I can make my own, but I wanted to start with something that has already been invented by somebody. i figured why reinvent the wheel. I noticed that LoiueAlvarez.com has some, but his download site appears to be down. What's wrong with share a little? It could help a lot of people to share things such as Jigs, it saves people time on both sides.

Ken Frisby
01-02-2006, 9:03 PM
Mason,

It's not that we don't share designs it just that everyone has different ways of laying out projects, so each person has a special way they like to have fixtures or jigs for their own special way of doing things . So it's really hard to post generic jigs or fixtures, besides it only takes a couple of minutes to make them.

Keith Outten
01-02-2006, 11:09 PM
Mason,

I have a jig that I use for engraving pens and it will work with other round objects as well. I will take a couple of pictures tomorrow afternoon and post them in this thread for your review. The fixture is made from wood and has a custom Corel Drawing that is calibrated to the fixture.

Keith Outten
01-07-2006, 8:47 AM
Mason,

Below is a picture of my not too fancy jig for engraving pens and small parts that are round. It should work perfectly for engraving the AA flashlights. Since the photo was taken I have engraved a scale along the top surface of the jig to assist with aligning parts and I added a box window on the top surface to help center the text for pens.

The jig is just a couple pieces of scrap plywood, the bottom piece was engraved with the outline for the top piece to assist the glue alignment. The top piece was cut on the table saw, it could be done on a router table or any number of ways to machine the V area. My Corel Draw drawing looks just like the jig obviously, the larger bottom piece locates the pen just under the lens when in focus mode.

Rebecca Leedy
01-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Mason,
The Epilog website is a great place to find jigs, patterns, ideas. As a new laser owner, you will find that to be a great resource. Jigs are a little tricky to share since they are so "project specific" Creating a jig is also a great way to familiarize yourself with Corel as well as your new laser.
If you plan on doing a lot of maglites, invest in a rotary attachment.