PDA

View Full Version : Cordless Handheld Vacuums

tim walker
11-02-2020, 7:14 PM
Looking for recommendations for a small, hand held cordless vacuum for shop and house. I had an old Ryobi that died and it really sucked, no suction at all but it was a freebie. TIA

Jim Becker
11-02-2020, 7:18 PM
We have several in the house, different brands and models...I don't really see an application for in m shop...and while they all seem to work great at first, they all seem to have horrible battery life and by that, I mean after a while, they stop holding a charge. I suspect that these consumer type devices tend to use the least expensive types of batteries and since they tend to be left on charge a lot by folks (including us) they go downhill fast.

tim walker
11-02-2020, 7:40 PM
Agree about shop not really needing one but it would be easier to get light dust off of work stations and computers etc

Nathan Johnson
11-02-2020, 7:41 PM
I'm done buying these little pieces of crap.

tim walker
11-02-2020, 8:03 PM
Mainly for wife and inside usage in between the housekeeping crew coming every two weeks.

Bernie Kopfer
11-02-2020, 9:47 PM
Mikita makes a great cordless vac. I have two of them, one for the kitchen and inside and it has a really nice floor head extension. One in the shop for the garage and sometimes for quick pick up in the shop. But my cordless tools are Makita so I have lots of batteries. And the charge lasts a long time with this vac

Eric Arnsdorff
11-02-2020, 10:37 PM
This is my favorite portable vacuum. I put the Ryobi brushless stick vac by the garage door that goes I to the kitchen. It works well as long as you clean the filter. But this portable vacuum is small enough to grab and use anywhere and the suction is very good. Also having more volume for waste makes this handy in the shop for small cleanup jobs (I use my DC with attachment for cleaning the entire floor and such).
I know people look down at Ryobi but I’m very happy with the performance and price point of a lot of their tools. I have plenty of batteries so that’s always a decision point as well.

John K Jordan
11-02-2020, 10:41 PM
Looking for recommendations for a small, hand held cordless vacuum for shop and house. I had an old Ryobi that died and it really sucked, no suction at all but it was a freebie. TIA

I use a Dewalt, mostly since it uses the Dewalt 18v batteries and I have a lot of tools that use them.

The little vacuum is excellent with plenty of suction. I mostly use it to vacuum the bottom of my brooder tubs where I raise peacocks and other birds - scattered feed, dried messes, bits of hay, picks up everything. It has a wide nozzle built into the end but the short hose to the nozzle can be pulled out for tight spots. I don't use it for sawdust since I have a hose connected to my cyclone dust collector.

JKJ

roger wiegand
11-03-2020, 7:52 AM
I got this Milwaukee (https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Lithium-ion-Tool-Only-Lightweight-Effortless/dp/B078GC33D4/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3GTK9PM25T4NW&dchild=1&keywords=milwaukee+cordless+vacuum&qid=1604407723&sprefix=milwaukee+cordless+va%2Caps%2C158&sr=8-2) for battery compatibility (the pricing was such that the vac was almost free by buying a pair of batteries-- the amazon link is not the package I got)). Extraordinarily convenient when I have a job in the house that's not worth lugging a big vac around for. Also convenient for cleaning up stray litter around the cat boxes. No application in the shop that I've found.

Dan Friedrichs
11-03-2020, 8:12 AM
I have a Makita stick vac for quick clean ups in the house, and it's great:
https://www.makitatools.com/cleaning/compactvacuums
I've seen the airplane cabin cleaners using them, too.

Todd Trebuna
11-03-2020, 8:31 AM
I have a Black and Decker 16 V max that seems to be holding up pretty well. While it is out in my shop, it sees most of it's use in the house. It's the CHV1410L, model number.

Ron Selzer
11-03-2020, 9:18 AM
What ever brand you have good batteries for.
Ron

Bruce Mack
11-03-2020, 1:07 PM
Black and Decker Dustbuster for house. It sucks cat hair, bunny turds (giant dry BB's) and 2 mornings ago a cup of granulated sugar that I spilled on the floor. One of our 2 died 6 months ago after 3 years usage. We just replaced it, finding nothing better that you can readily tote around.

Kyle Iwamoto
11-03-2020, 2:54 PM
Dyson Animal. Definitely NOT cheap. It will get any job done. Your wife will love it too. It may be on sale at your Costco.

tim walker
11-03-2020, 2:58 PM
I did order a Dyson, but its teh V7 trigger. Have the Ball Animal as regular vacuum and it is fantastic.