PDA

View Full Version : Looking for plans for a Watchmakers bench

Chris Gregory
01-02-2006, 9:05 AM
Morning All,

I am looking for plans for a watchmakers desk I have been searching the internet and so far no joy. Anybody out there that can stear me in the right direction?

Cheers,
Chris

Frank Chaffee
01-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Good morning Chris,.

Search "jewelers bench", jewelers supplies" etc.

Frank

Chris Gregory
01-03-2006, 11:21 AM
Good morning Chris,.

Search "jewelers bench", jewelers supplies" etc.

Frank

Hi Frank,

Tried that with no luck, there used to be a company in Chicago called Jessen & Rosberg that made a beautiful bench but I don't believe they are around anymore and the new ones leave a lot to be desired design wise, I expect I will end up drawing up my own design but I am trying to get the basic dimensions and number of drawers and sizes.

Cheers,
Chris

Frank Chaffee
01-03-2006, 5:04 PM
Chris,
But you wanted to design it yourself anyway, right? I see what you mean about no joy in the online search department, what I found there was very unexceptional also.

My bookshelf search did at least yield useful dimensions. I will describe what I found there:

Jeweler’s and watchmaker’s benches are typically 37” to 40” high, and 20” to 22” deep.

An 8” to 12” high shelf may be built on the bench top with provisions for hanging tools on its supporting wall. Such a shelf may have a powerful fluorescent light beneath it.

A safety lip is sometimes provided on the front edge of the top to prevent parts rolling off. This is not common however.

With one stack of drawers on the right side the benches are 39”to 48” wide. With one stack of drawers on each side benches may be up to 58” wide.

The drawer stacks have up to ten drawers 8” wide and graduating from 2-3/8” to 6” high. Matching drawer stacks are available as wheeled units.

Two or more wide drawers and lemel trays pull out under the working area of the bench. These may take space down to ~25” above the floor.

Drawer bottoms may be covered with heavy canvas. Lemel trays are most often leather.

Chairs sold alongside these benches adjust from 17” to 25” in height.

I very much look forward to seeing your design and construction process, Chris!

Frank

Chris Gregory
01-05-2006, 7:41 AM
Frank,

Thank you, I think it will make for a nice project as you say the benches now available do leave a lot lacking in quality and design. I will keep everybody updated on the progress. Just need to keep plugging away on getting the shop together first.

Chris