PDA

View Full Version : Hammer a3-31 owners - would you answer a question please!

Lisa Starr
10-31-2020, 12:23 PM
I'm preparing for delivery of my A3-31 Combo machine and need clarification as to the distance from a wall the rear of the machine needs to be.

The overall depth of the machine is listed at 31-1/8", does this include the rear fence lock mechanism pushed all the way back?

The instructions for the machine say it must be placed 20" from the wall for proper usage and maintenance of the machine. Is this for clearance for it to be in planer mode or could I keep it closer to the wall and pull it our for servicing? I purchased the mobility kit.

TIA
Lisa
:confused:

Steve Wurster
10-31-2020, 1:46 PM
Lisa,

I leave my A3-31 up close to the wall when not in use, and then roll it out when I need to use it. I have to do that though because I have a small basement shop, and there's other equipment sitting on both sides of the machine that would get in the way of any operation. That being said, it looks like lifting the tables to go into planer mode only adds about 5-6" of depth to the machine. I'm not sure where their 20" requirement comes from. Okay, yeah, you need like 20" in order to get behind the machine to open up the cover for maintenance, but I don't think you need that much room for regular operation.

The machine comes with a guard that goes behind the jointer fence, designed to cover the blades when the fence is pulled forward. I'm thinking that 31-1/8" measurement includes that guard, as without it the entire depth is only about 27" (with the fence pushed all the way back and the main blade guard pushed up against it). I actually removed that rear guard from my machine just so I could get the machine closer to the wall when not in use. Removing that guard means I don't have to loosen the knob that holds it in place every time I want to move the jointer fence, however that guard and knob combined do serve to prevent the fence from flexing. Therefore, I have a little bit of flex in mine, but it doesn't bother me.

I've had my A3-31 for about 4.5 years now and I love it. I got the "digital" gauge for the planer height wheel, and that is probably the best accessory you can get for it, allowing you to easily get back to a previous thickness. I also have both the short and long extension tables; the long ones help when jointing really long boards. Another thing I've done is buy a bottle of the Felder Super Gleit for spraying on the planer bed whenever pieces start to stick. The beds aren't processed the same as cast iron on say a table saw, so just regular paste wax didn't do the trick for me. That spray stuff though is great.

Good luck. You'll love the machine, I'm sure.

ChrisA Edwards
10-31-2020, 1:49 PM
Above 9" to the back panel.

https://youtu.be/x3OLlAqB9Gk

John Gornall
10-31-2020, 2:00 PM
Probably want your dust collection hose between machine and wall as well

My dust hose goes down in jointer mode and up out of the way in planer mode

Lisa Starr
10-31-2020, 2:30 PM
Thank you all for your replies. Your answers are exactly what I needed. Now I can continue to play with the template I made of the machine to settle on final location before running the dedicated electrical circuit and dust collector connection point.

Derek Cohen
10-31-2020, 7:45 PM
Probably want your dust collection hose between machine and wall as well

My dust hose goes down in jointer mode and up out of the way in planer mode

Same as John.

I have very little space in my garage/workshop. It works best parked across a corner. This enables space at the rear for the fence. The extension is very seldom used. There is enough (just!) distance on either side for most of the boards that are run across or on top. The machine gets pulled out further into the room if more length is needed ...

https://i.postimg.cc/mDvStWyh/9a.jpg

I really mean it when I say it is a tight fit .. proximity to other machines ...

https://i.postimg.cc/vZH3McVG/DP12a.jpg

This is a big drawcard for the A3-31 .... it really can get away with little space.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek Cohen
10-31-2020, 7:50 PM
Above 9" to the back panel.

https://youtu.be/x3OLlAqB9Gk

Chris, I flip mine differently to your video.

You leave your fence track in the extended position. I find that this can fowl on the side of the case and bend the track. Consequently, I slide the fence as far as it goes across the table, lock it down, and then lift it up. No fowling now.

Regards from Perth

Derek

ChrisA Edwards
10-31-2020, 9:43 PM
Thanks for pointing that out, yes it does touch slightly and deflect that plate a little.

Doesn't look like it's bent it at all, but I will move the fence a little to stop that contact happening in the future,

Again, thanks.