PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Creekers

John Bailey
01-02-2006, 5:20 AM
I know this is short notice, but are there any Creekers in Michigan that would like to get together for a shadow get-together at the same time Keith and the gang goes out? I'm willing to drive a bit. What say ya'll.

John

Tom Drake
01-02-2006, 6:29 AM
I'm all for it. Count me in.

John Bailey
01-02-2006, 7:48 AM
Tom,

OK, that's two of us. Let's see if we have any other takers, then we can pick a location that's somewhere close to equidistant.

John

Jim Young
01-02-2006, 9:41 AM
What is a shadow get-together? If it's not too wierd and too far away I'm in.

John Bailey
01-02-2006, 10:06 AM
Jim,

Sorry for the term. I was having trouble coming up with something that meant going out at the same time Keith and the Gang went out. If you recall, a bunch of Creekers got together to get Keith and the folks that run this great site a gift. The gift is a dinner for them at a place they chose. Some thought it might be a cool idea to have other, regional outings, that would coincide with Keiths. We would be able to meet other Creekers, take pictures, post them, and in general have a good time with it.

Right now there is Tom Drake in Kalamazoo, and me in East Jordan. Not exactly a short drive for anyone. Around noon, I'll be checking to see if there is any other interest. Then we can see if we can pick a spot that's agreeable for everyone.

John

John Bailey
01-02-2006, 12:39 PM
Tom and Jim,

It's 12:35 P.M. here and I haven't gotten any more responses. It's also freezing rain right now, so I'm not sure I'm even going into East Jordan, let alone a drive down state. So, I think I'll call it off for me. Maybe some of you guys that are closer can get together and get a picture of a toast to Keith and the Gang. We'll have to try something some other time.

John

Tom Drake
01-04-2006, 6:53 AM
No problem John. We can always wait for some better weather.

Steve Ash
01-06-2006, 11:13 AM
John,
That sounds like a good idea for in the future, there are 3 creekers near me that possibly we could make it.

Paul Downes
01-08-2006, 11:02 PM
Hey now, I might or might not have time. And John, I get up to Ellsworth a time or two per year. I've been out of the creek for a while but am ending the hiatess (how do you spell that ?)

John Bailey
01-09-2006, 8:21 PM
Paul,

Good to hear from you. Where's Pewamo? When you coming up to Ellsworth? We'll have to get together.

John

Matt Meiser
01-09-2006, 8:33 PM
I'd be interested, but I think 1/2 way between you and me is somewhere around Clare, and thats still one heck of a haul!

Paul Downes
01-09-2006, 8:57 PM
John, I have a friend who owns a few hundred acres North of Ellesworth. He often invites me up for coyote or deer hunting or fishing or just hanging out. Our kids match up well in age and gender so it's not uncommon to get up there a time or two per year. Next time we head up I'll drop you a line.
You'll have to let me know if you need anything from the "lower 40". I do my share of 'horse trading' and also travel to the yooper land 1 or 2 times a year. I traded green rough sawn walnut for birdseye and curl maple and flame birch the last time. I suppose that qualifies for a not so stealthy gloat?:D Let me know if you guys get a meeting set up. I might just be able to swing it. I'll just tell the wife I'm goin fishin..........

John Bailey
01-10-2006, 5:41 AM
I go to Chicago often, and my mom lives in South Haven, so I go there when I get a chance. When I go to Chicago, I usually go Saturday and come back Sunday, but could easily go on a Friday. So, if you guys would like to get together some Friday around 8:00 P.M., I could probably make it on my way through. Lansing might also be a possibility as I have a son that lives there. Just a thought.

John

Steve Ash
01-10-2006, 7:34 AM
Lansing might also be a possibility as I have a son that lives there. Just a thought.

John

John, if you are considering Lansing....just a few miles further and Michigan creekers could take in Johnson's workbench www.theworkbench.com (http://www.theworkbench.com) in Charlotte (yeah I'm close) Just a thought.

John Bailey
01-10-2006, 3:17 PM
Hey guys,

How about this for a plan. Because I wouldn't mind going to Lansing to see my kid, how about we pick a Saturday, have lunch at La Seniorita, one of my favourites, in Lansing, then, for those interested, go off to Johnson's Workbench. Lansing is pretty central for most and it would be great to meet other Creekers. If you think this would be a good thing, lets pick a date. Any interest?

John

Keith July
01-10-2006, 5:13 PM
I'm in...John, which Saturday works best for you.
There is one string attached. You have to promise to leave the snow north of the bridge.:rolleyes:
Keith

Michael Cody
01-10-2006, 7:42 PM
John, I am in Richland (just north of Kalamazoo) so I'd be up for it if I have a little advance notice. Only weekend out now is 1/21 (camping w/my scouts).. otherwise, I am a service tech so I just make sure I don't schedule that Saturday.

Steve Ash
01-10-2006, 8:10 PM
Sounds like a good plan to me...I'll call Larry Merlau, not sure he gets on here much anymore.

John Bailey
01-10-2006, 8:10 PM
I'm going to suggest February 11. I'm pretty busy most weekends before that. If that date is OK, I'll start a new thread and see if there are others interested. Shoot, maybe we could even get some Hoosiers, Illini's and Buckeyes to attend. How does that date sound to ya'll.

John

Jim Young
01-10-2006, 8:24 PM
I'm in. Saturdays are fine with me. Second and third weekend in Feb are no good for me, otherwise I should be good to go.

Matt Meiser
01-10-2006, 9:43 PM
I'll probably be able to attend as well.

John Bailey
01-11-2006, 4:18 AM
Anybody have a conflict on February 25th? I know picking dates can get tough because everyone's busy.

John

Chris Damm
01-11-2006, 6:52 AM
I'm free most anytime. I think the best thing to do is just pick a date. If you try to make it perfect for everyone, you'll go nuts!

Jim Young
01-11-2006, 10:18 AM
Anybody have a conflict on February 25th? I know picking dates can get tough because everyone's busy.

JohnSounds like a good date.

John Bailey
01-11-2006, 12:06 PM
OK folks, we're going with February 25th. It'll be lunch and then off to Johnson's Lumber, if they're open. I'll make some arrangements and get back with you with another post.

John

Mike Maikowski
01-11-2006, 4:35 PM
John: Not many guy's know me or I them, but that date seem doable for me. I live in Roseville and could pick up someonre that needs ride go there and back. Just e-mail me and I will gett back to who eve:) sends one. Mike
:)

Michael Cody
01-11-2006, 10:28 PM
2/25 seems good for me right now .. will chisel into the stone calendar..

Tom Drake
01-12-2006, 5:54 AM
2/25 is good for me too.

Chris Damm
01-12-2006, 8:07 AM
That's my wifes birthday so if I want to survive the weekend I'll pass this time!

Matt Meiser
01-12-2006, 8:18 AM
I think that will work for me.

John Bailey
01-12-2006, 6:13 PM
Hey Chris, bring the wife.:o

John

Steve Ash
01-12-2006, 9:45 PM
John,
Is that the LaSeniorita on Lake Lansing road across from the East Wood Towne Center?

John Bailey
01-13-2006, 4:16 AM
Steve,

Yup, that's it. I'll post directions after I've made the arrangements. Is it possible for you to contact Johnson's Lumber to see if they do tours? We might get to see more of the place that way. Plus, it would probably be a good idea if they knew we were coming.

John

Steve Ash
01-13-2006, 8:50 AM
Is it possible for you to contact Johnson's Lumber to see if they do tours? We might get to see more of the place that way. Plus, it would probably be a good idea if they knew we were coming.

John

Yeah I can check into it....can we give them an approximate time?

Steve Ash
01-13-2006, 10:17 AM
I went down to Johnsons this morning and talked to Ron. Showed him this forum and this thread....hopefully he will sign up as a member too, he would have a lot to contribute I'm sure.

Currently they are not sawing anything in the mill due to weather or time of year. But he said we would be able to view the sawmill anyway if we like, but couldn't guarantee they would be doing any milling. To me that is a bonus, being able to tour with no loud machines and ask questions if we want to. I've been on their tour in Sept. during their wood expo and it's a nice thing to take in.

Also they have a very nice large showroom filled with all kinds of woodworking tools, etc. as well as a well stocked room of wood, and a warehouse if you'd like your lumber unplaned. You might want to bring your trucks and load up with some wood, tools, eqiptment and supplies....No I don't work there, but it is one of my favorite places to window shop and buy stuff.

So all we need is a time (approx.) that we will be there and I'm sure they will accomadate our group.

John Bailey
01-13-2006, 5:18 PM
Steve,

I haven't called the restaurant yet, but I'd like to start eating a 11:30 to beat the noon rush. If we take a leisurely 2 hr. meal, and another 45 min. to get to Charllotte, we would get to Johnson's around 2:00 to 2:30. Let's tell them 2:30 P.M.

I've been to Johnson's many times. I've bought wood and had it milled there and think it's a great place.

John

larry merlau
01-16-2006, 11:04 AM
i saw steve this wknd and he filled me in i will plan on attending as well:D

John Bailey
01-16-2006, 3:15 PM
Great Larry,

It's always good to have someone around with a bigger beard than me.:rolleyes:

John

Paul Downes
01-17-2006, 5:04 PM
I may have to move my poker party into March but Feb. 25th may also work for me.

John Bailey
01-17-2006, 8:10 PM
I haven't made arrangements yet, so I don't have alot of information. Look for a new thread in the General Woodworking forum this week and I'll have all the particulars. It would appear we'll have quite a group.

John

Steve Ash
01-20-2006, 8:20 AM
I haven't made arrangements yet, so I don't have alot of information. Look for a new thread in the General Woodworking forum this week and I'll have all the particulars. It would appear we'll have quite a group.

John

John, any new information to add yet?