PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley seconds

john zulu
10-28-2020, 12:08 PM
It is online now.
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/lee-valley-and-veritas-seconds-event?utm_campaign=70136_VeritasSecondsTeaser-CA&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Lee+Valley+&dm_i=6EER%2c1I48%2c12Y77S%2c6UJ5%2c1

Saving money for the new veritas models..........

mike stenson
10-28-2020, 12:13 PM
Gotta be a good day for Rob, I can't even connect :)

Correction: Just took a bit :D and items I was going to buy are on there.

Nope, put it in the cart.. hit checkout wait 5 minutes for the website and gone. Oh well.

Christopher Charles
10-28-2020, 12:14 PM
Have resisted for a second year in a row. Which largely reflects the scope of my past purchases there....

Good luck all-still some great stuff available

Brian Nguyen
10-28-2020, 12:22 PM
Not as many items as previous years, but still quality stuff. It's kind of scary that I can look at everything and can say to myself that I already have this, this, this and that... and therefore don't have anything to buy hahaha.
Well except for the flushing chisels set which is tempting, but the website says they can't deliver to my address (?!?) sooo.... might be a sign that I should put the wallet away.

I'm glad that they're doing this at 12pm instead of 12am Cyber Monday, though!

Will Blick
10-28-2020, 12:23 PM
Been on for solid 30 minutes
get my planes in cart, then the system blows up
exact same problem last year
all kinds of weird message errors, cant ship to that address, etc
been at same address for 15 years
Nice that Rob does this, but the wasted time on customers end not worth the savings...
last year, wasted a solid hour trying to check out...
BTW, tried 3 different browsers, same problem...
LV systems overwhelmed again...

anyone get this message over and over?

The following item(s) are not available for shipment to the location on the order.

CM277P, Bevel-Up Jack Rabbet Plane, PM-V11 – Manufacturing Second

To proceed to checkout, choose one of the following options:
1) Move the item to your Purchase Later List
2) Change your preferred shipping method

Patrick Whitehorn
10-28-2020, 12:29 PM
I got in very early - right after it opened - added a right-hand shooting plane to the cart, added my CC info, and then ... nothing. Useless javascript errors reported back (including bullets that state "Message"). I give up.

Patrick Whitehorn
10-28-2020, 12:31 PM
Will,
I am getting that exact error now. And when I try to change anything, the cart gets emptied.

Will Blick
10-28-2020, 12:34 PM
I tried everything, empty cart, re add,
it gets hung up on shipping, then the message above...even within a minute of the sale opening, so I doubt they were all gone, I still see this plane on the list of available...
maybe next year, they do one day for hardware, one day for planes, etc, so LV systems are not overwhelmed...
oh well....

Rob used jumped on here last year, maybe he will give us some insights before I surrender again...

mike stenson
10-28-2020, 12:36 PM
Will,
I am getting that exact error now. And when I try to change anything, the cart gets emptied.

Me too. So at least one sale gone (was going to add other things too until it was just so flaky it wasn't worth it).

I'm a developer for a living, so not trying to be a whiney customer... if you don't know your stuff is broken, you can't fix it.

john zulu
10-28-2020, 12:36 PM
Gremlins at works!

Hasin Haroon
10-28-2020, 12:38 PM
Definitely a sign of how much of Veritas' catalogue I already own that I was able to not purchase anything this year during the seconds event...and I believe last year as well. Was very tempted by the flushing chisels though...

On a somewhat related note...For anyone on the fence regarding the DX11 block plane - go for it. It's just an amazing tool.

Michael Bulatowicz
10-28-2020, 12:49 PM
I managed to get one order through right away, but ever since then I've received errors including the same "cannot be shipped to the address on the order" message and simply "Sorry, we are currently experiencing issues with our website."

Will Blick
10-28-2020, 12:50 PM
As a last resort, I tried calling LV 800 number a few times, as expected, busy...

Mike Tekin
10-28-2020, 12:53 PM
Been on for solid 30 minutes
get my planes in cart, then the system blows up
exact same problem last year
all kinds of weird message errors, cant ship to that address, etc
been at same address for 15 years
Nice that Rob does this, but the wasted time on customers end not worth the savings...
last year, wasted a solid hour trying to check out...
BTW, tried 3 different browsers, same problem...
LV systems overwhelmed again...

anyone get this message over and over?

The following item(s) are not available for shipment to the location on the order.

CM277P, Bevel-Up Jack Rabbet Plane, PM-V11 – Manufacturing Second

To proceed to checkout, choose one of the following options:
1) Move the item to your Purchase Later List
2) Change your preferred shipping method

Yes, identical error and it happened right at 12pm. I feel that these errors were addressed in previous errors and seem like it’s back to square one - what a frustrating experience. Oh well.

Bob Betker
10-28-2020, 12:54 PM
Yup, same thing happening here. I had wanted to purchase a PM-V11 chisel to see how it compares to my Blue Spruce and Ashley Iles. Oh well, maybe next year.

mike stenson
10-28-2020, 12:55 PM
Yup, same thing happening here. I had wanted to purchase a PM-V11 chisel to see how it compares to my Blue Spruce and Ashley Iles. Oh well, maybe next year.
It's probably worth the lack of irritation to just pay full price in a couple months :)

Chris Luke
10-28-2020, 12:57 PM
Pure speculation, but based on the errors I saw, I suspect their shipping estimate service rate limited them with the sudden influx of queries.

Rob Lee
10-28-2020, 1:14 PM
Hi Guys,

What a nightmare. Of course, our staff are trying to handle it....but the issue is always in someone else’s code.

Right now, seems to be with shipping routines....with 6 figure call volumes.....like a denial of service attack.

And this is exactly what we wanted to avoid, splitting it off from Cyber Monday.

My apologies for the frustration.....I couldn’t even get on the site myself.

Rob

Will Blick
10-28-2020, 1:17 PM
While on hold with a customer...
My OCD got the best of me, went back on...
and at least now it gave me a new error message!! Yay!

Sorry, we are currently experiencing issues with our website.

mike stenson
10-28-2020, 1:23 PM
Well, it worked for someone. The item I was trying is now out of stock. Good for them :)

Hope it works out otherwise well Rob :)

Will Blick
10-28-2020, 1:29 PM
I think a previous poster nailed the problem...

Shipping Option

Service not available, please try again later

john zulu
10-28-2020, 2:01 PM
Oh well, the new veritas is coming. Cheer up guys.

Frederick Skelly
10-28-2020, 2:04 PM

John, how are things with Covid-19 in your part of the world? Arent you in the Far East - like Indonesia?

mike stenson
10-28-2020, 2:04 PM

I'm cheery, I don't have to fix this broken junk :D that ALWAYS makes me happy.... I'll just wait until 2021.. when what I wanted was supposed to be available again anyway.

Will Blick
10-28-2020, 2:18 PM
Thank you for visiting Lee Valley.
Our website is currently undergoing maintenance and should be up and running shortly. Please check back with us soon.

smart move.... better this, than leave everyone hangin

Chris Luke
10-28-2020, 2:20 PM
Looks like they rebooted it (perhaps deployed new code?) My order went through, same cart as I had before. Woohoo!

Rob Lee
10-28-2020, 2:20 PM
When we break it...we break it good...:mad:

mike stenson
10-28-2020, 2:22 PM
When we break it...we break it good...:mad:

Do you mind if I paraphrase this on my CV? :D

Chris Luke
10-28-2020, 2:22 PM
Looks like they rebooted it (perhaps deployed new code?) My order went through, same cart as I had before. Woohoo!

May have spoken too soon; just received a message to the effect that the order didn't go through after all. Poop!

john zulu
10-28-2020, 2:23 PM
John, how are things with Covid-19 in your part of the world? Arent you in the Far East - like Indonesia?

Malaysia. The situation is bad. Used to under control until state elections happened...

Rob Lee
10-28-2020, 2:45 PM
May have spoken too soon; just received a message to the effect that the order didn't go through after all. Poop!

Your order looks good Chris....I can see it.

Rob Lee
10-28-2020, 2:50 PM
Looks like the taps are on again.

We’ll be discussing what we do for all those we’ve inconvenienced later today.....what a mess.

Will Blick
10-28-2020, 2:50 PM
I got to the very end, review order, press enter and ......... drum roll.........

Unfortunately we are unable to process your order at this time. Please try again later.

Jason D Snyder
10-28-2020, 2:52 PM
Will, I get the same error message at reviewing the order. Never mind, it just went through. Or not the confirmation email says quantity 0. So IDK

Rob Lee
10-28-2020, 3:05 PM
Jason...forward me your email, and I’ll check.... rlee@leevalley.com

mike stenson
10-28-2020, 3:09 PM
Successed! Thanks Rob, I really do know what a mess this can be to fix (my product generally ends up on the news when it breaks). I do appreciate the efforts

Rob Lee
10-28-2020, 3:09 PM
I got to the very end, review order, press enter and ......... drum roll.........

Unfortunately we are unable to process your order at this time. Please try again later.

Will,

If your order doesn’t or didn’t go through, shoot me an email with what you we after, and I’ll see what I can do.... (same goes for anyone in this thread....)

Cheers ( though not cheerful at the moment )

Rob

Rob Lee
10-28-2020, 3:10 PM
Successed! Thanks Rob, I really do know what a mess this can be to fix (my product generally ends up on the news when it breaks). I do appreciate the efforts

Well....we have one red-faced business partner......

Jason D Snyder
10-28-2020, 3:18 PM
Jason...forward me your email, and I’ll check.... rlee@leevalley.com

Forwarded you the email. Thanks for checking on it for me. You go so far above an beyond "normal" it is amazing!

mike stenson
10-28-2020, 3:22 PM
HAHAH well, now I'm having the same issue as Jason, the order email says it's gone.. and my order status is shipped qty 0

No longer available. Qty 0

No transaction processed at my bank. So that's all good

Chris Luke
10-28-2020, 3:23 PM
Your order looks good Chris....I can see it.
Thanks for confirming! I did re-visit the confirm page a few times (though not too quickly, trying not to be part of the problem!) and it eventually completed. These events always tax systems in unexpected ways.
Now things are calmer, I just snuck in another order of more trivial items. I have a friend who collects things like those trick nuts!

David Bassett
10-28-2020, 3:27 PM

Well, I'm sure I was part of the problem. It took that page 45 secs to load, 15 secs to read, that's later right? So I click it again.

With patience my (small) order went thru, as the servers unwound. (Sad to say, these sales are becoming less and less interesting as I seem to have accumulated most of the tools in years past. Both seconds and firsts.)

Anyway, I recall a lot of recent angst from beginning dovetailers about saws. The standard Veritas dovetail saw is still available and at $64 you really can't go wrong. Get it, learn, and then decide if you want to spring on an upgrade.

ETA: Sold out now!

Chris Luke
10-28-2020, 3:30 PM
Anyway, I recall a lot of recent angst from beginning dovetailers about saws. The standard Veritas dovetail saw is still available and at $64 you really can't go wrong. Get it, learn, and then decide if you want to spring on an upgrade.
That is precisely my motivation in this sale. :)

Aaron Rosenthal
10-28-2020, 4:23 PM
I had the same problem - the site opened 20 seconds early, I selected my item, did all the inputs and within the first 90 seconds after going to checkout I got the address thing; changed to ship to store; then it couldn't complete due to web issues.
Managed to refresh 3 times, finally went through.
By the time I finished my transaction and went back, all the small planes were gone. I didn't need any so Shrug.
Agree, it's a problem for us, but imagine what Rob's going through.

David Publicover
10-28-2020, 4:41 PM
I missed out as well despite being logged on at the start. Oh well. I’ll get a shiny perfect one later on. I’m sure it was pretty frustrating for everyone on the lines at LV and don’t hold it against them. Stuff happens...

Jon Barnett
10-28-2020, 5:20 PM
I was on at 12 noon sharp. Thought I had the BU jointer nailed, till I went back later to buy something else and found it was still in the cart - shipping issue!

By the time I got another one in the cart, it was sold out.

However, I did (after 2 hours 20+ minutes), manage to snag a miter plane. Was hoping for that as they are no longer produced. Mind you, I had to refresh the cart about 25 times before I finally got confirmation. Whew. :rolleyes:

As others said, I was hoping not to have to stay up till midnight on Cyber Monday lol.

Jason Lester
10-28-2020, 7:04 PM
I tried for a while to get a tenon saw at lunch, same errors as everyone mentioned. I quit trying and forgot about it until I got home tonight. I checked again just to see what was left and the tenon saws were showing available again! The order went through and I got the confirmation email, so I hope that's good news.

Jim Koepke
10-28-2020, 8:01 PM
The site opened for me earlier today and almost pulled the trigger on a couple of items that are not needed or even on my want list.

Decided to leave before consulting with SWMBO.

jtk

Travis Fatzinger
10-28-2020, 8:08 PM
I played around trying to get an order through for the 1/2" and 3/4" chisels, was hoping for quite an upgrade from my old Craftsman. Finally got the order through for a 3/4" chisel, saw the confirmation email pop up in my inbox, so I shut down and got back to work. Just checked the confirmation email and the quantity ordered was zero!

Brian Nguyen
10-28-2020, 8:58 PM
Same thing happened to my order of the Draw Knife. It was in stock this afternoon, but the e-mail received tonight show No Longer Available. Bummer.

Dave Zellers
10-28-2020, 9:35 PM
Sorry to interrupt the discussions re purchases gone awry today but I have to ask- what is this 'New Veritas' that has been mentioned? I must have fallen out of the loop somehow.

Jacob Mac
10-28-2020, 9:55 PM
I really wanted a shooting plane, that was a frustrating experience. But on the bright side, I have a LAJ so it isn't exactly a need.

Bob Cooper
10-28-2020, 10:25 PM
Veritas has their sale today starting at noon and I jumped on at 12:00:05 and it was busy. I felt for the IT folks because the web site was having some issues. But in the end all worked out. Got a shoulder plane and a low angle jack plane. Christmas to myself.

Pete Costa
10-28-2020, 11:03 PM
i had the same problems as others have noted, so called the custimer service line. It was a long wait but the rep who took my order was incredibly helpful and even cheerful during what must have been a very difficult day on her end. I was impresed and am looking forward to my early Christmas present.

David Bassett
10-28-2020, 11:10 PM
There's already a thread going on this, here:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?286841-Lee-Valley-seconds

Rob Damon
10-28-2020, 11:39 PM
Every year by the time I see anyone posting about these sales, everything that I want is gone.

Can I ask a question though?

Does LV every put anything "NEW" on sale like other stores? It seems the "sales" are more of clearance of second hand/refurbished items (Yes I know they are still in great condition.)

I know they have free shipping every now and then. But do they ever have real sales on brand new items like say Woodcraft, Lowes, Homedepot, etc.?

Maybe they do, but I never seem to visit when they do.

Thanks. Rob

Dave Zellers
10-29-2020, 12:38 AM
Got a shoulder plane and a low angle jack plane. Christmas to myself.

Merry Christmas! I have their medium shoulder plane and it might very well be my favorite hand plane. No matter how I cut my tenons there is always some fine shoulder cleaning up that needs to be done. I just pull it out, shave off the high spots, and boom! Perfection. And don't get me started on how beautifully it fits in my hand. You will love it.

Jim Koepke
10-29-2020, 1:25 AM
I know they have free shipping every now and then.

They did free shipping on all orders when the Corona Virus first started. Later it was changed to all orders over $30 USD.

jtk

Rob Damon
10-29-2020, 1:41 AM
Yes I catch some of the free shipping ads, but I was really asking about them having actual Sales on New items.

I picked up some Woodrivers planes to use on manmade wood products (that I wouldn't use my LN planes on). Woodcraft routinely have them on sale at 15% off at least a few times a year at the local store.

I just have never seen a LV sale on their NEW hand planes or anything for that matter, ever before.

Again, I could be wrong and just missed the sales catalogs or ads.

Frederick Skelly
10-29-2020, 7:11 AM
Every year by the time I see anyone posting about these sales, everything that I want is gone.

Does LV every put anything "NEW" on sale like other stores? It seems the "sales" are more of clearance of second hand/refurbished items (Yes I know they are still in great condition.)

I know they have free shipping every now and then. But do they ever have real sales on brand new items like say Woodcraft, Lowes, Homedepot, etc.?

Thanks. Rob

I havent ever seen them hold a sale. Only Cyber Monday, which is only seconds. (Though I have never seen a mark or defect on a LV second, despite having several.)

Jeff Bartley
10-29-2020, 7:33 AM
I was on at 12 noon sharp. Thought I had the BU jointer nailed, till I went back later to buy something else and found it was still in the cart - shipping issue!

By the time I got another one in the cart, it was sold out.

However, I did (after 2 hours 20+ minutes), manage to snag a miter plane. Was hoping for that as they are no longer produced. Mind you, I had to refresh the cart about 25 times before I finally got confirmation. Whew. :rolleyes:

As others said, I was hoping not to have to stay up till midnight on Cyber Monday lol.

The miter plane is no longer offered? Rob, tell me this isn't true!
Rob, thank you for the excellent support you provide to us! At least in my case it was my fault alone that I missed the sale: I was out on a jobsite!

Jeff Bartley
10-29-2020, 7:38 AM

Thanks. Rob

Rob D, if you sign up for the email notifications you'll everything that goes on sale. Many times when they release something new it'll be offered at a lower cost for a limited timeframe. Most recently I purchased the router plane box when it was first offered. It was something like $10 off, about a 20% savings!

Word of caution though: once you start seeing the notices it's hard to resist a purchase!

George Yetka
10-29-2020, 8:35 AM
I ordered a shooting plane a month ago(backordered) and i couldnt find any confirmation on it but knew i had placed order because i bought a bunch of clearence hardware and i have that. So i spent the hour trying to get them on the phone to confirm i had ordered. If not i would have tried for the second. I emailed and got a response a couple hours later that it is in the mail.

Was anyone successful?

Im excited, now for a shooting board

Kurt Cady
10-29-2020, 9:44 AM
I have to ask- what is this 'New Veritas' that has been mentioned? I must have fallen out of the loop somehow.

When I read that I wondered the same.

Anyone? Anyone?

Frank Pratt
10-29-2020, 10:11 AM
I got myself a low angle jack, but it took a couple of hours to get the order through. I've been wanting one for a long time.

I paid for it with my gift card that I got for 15% off last year, so there was a savings of almost 33% :)

Rob Damon
10-29-2020, 10:38 AM
Rob D, if you sign up for the email notifications you'll everything that goes on sale. Many times when they release something new it'll be offered at a lower cost for a limited timeframe. Most recently I purchased the router plane box when it was first offered. It was something like $10 off, about a 20% savings!

Word of caution though: once you start seeing the notices it's hard to resist a purchase!

I not sure the SWMBO would like it if I signed up for email notifications that came in too often. Seeing the WC monthly ad come in the mail gets hers eyes rolling..
I already spend more than I should. I need to be selective to stay under the radar...(hand planes at the moment..) :D:D

Brian Nguyen
10-29-2020, 10:41 AM
Missing from this year's sale event were the discounted gift cards, which I would have bought (the $1000 one) and use later on. I think that LV missed the boat on that one by not offering the GCs but I'm sure that they had a good reason, probably financially.

glenn bradley
10-29-2020, 10:48 AM
Hi Guys,

What a nightmare. Of course, our staff are trying to handle it....but the issue is always in someone else’s code.

I can only imagine the struggles with outsourced I.T. at this point in time. The levels of quality I see in application products and support are disheartening. Hang in there, focus on tying service levels to software product contracts and don't pay when they don't deliver.

Just as with tool and hardware suppliers, make them earn their money. I talk with my wallet to those that provide great service and remain "quiet" with those that don't. That's why Rob gets so much of my money :D:D:D.

I was close. I finally fought through it by sheer repetition but, then the system didn't want to ship a RH edge plane to California!?!
Sorry things didn't go well. I guess there's a price to be paid for being popular . . . massive response to sales ;-) Shake it off, we're still with ya Rob and there's always next time. :)

Andrew Pitonyak
10-29-2020, 2:04 PM

Bob, if you plan on driving through Columbus Ohio, bring along your chisels and you can compare them to my PM-V11 chisels. :D

Frank Pratt
10-29-2020, 3:38 PM
Missing from this year's sale event were the discounted gift cards, which I would have bought (the $1000 one) and use later on. I think that LV missed the boat on that one by not offering the GCs but I'm sure that they had a good reason, probably financially.

I do believe the gift card discount happens on black Friday, not at the seconds event.

Bob Cooper
10-29-2020, 10:50 PM
Thanks Dave...I was after the large one but it was sold out. These are my first veritas planes and can’t wait to try them out.

Will Blick
10-30-2020, 11:20 AM
Rob, thx for the kind offer... this is why I love supporting your business. Nice to see an owner who REALLY CARES about their customers like you do. Most of us realize, we are not guaranteed anything on these special limited sales. We are grateful that you even do them once a year.

I cant imagine the stress u went through after lightening struck twice, considering all the safeguards you probably worked so hard to implement! Nuttin every easy, huh ;) Anyway, 5 hrs after the start, I went back on and grabbed a few items. Good enuff.

Like others mentioned, its getting hard for me to find planes I don't already own of yours!
Make some new planes pls... hee hee ;) JJ....
thx again for all your support of the ww community.