PDA

View Full Version : drilling a hole through insulation?

Travis Conner
10-26-2020, 10:02 PM
I'm trying to drill a hole in the wall so I can route my air hose through. I drilled a hole using a forstner bit and stopped to find it had insulation with paper backing. I was going to try and route the hose through the corner of the wall on the outside, but now that I think about it, I think just drilling straight through the insulation to the otherside is going to be the best bet. Should I poke a hole through it first, then drill? I'm already picturing the bit getting wound up in a tight ball around the insulation inside the wall. lol

Paul F Franklin
10-26-2020, 10:06 PM
A twist bit will sail right through, and even a paddle bit. For a forstner I'd probably try to clear a path although that will be a lot like pushing a rope. The insulation tears really easily, so you won't wrap much around the bit.

Travis Conner
10-26-2020, 10:15 PM
I may have to put my extension on to reach the other side. I'm actually surprised the little office even had insulation.

Travis Conner
10-26-2020, 10:20 PM
I'm going to try and see if I can stab a phillips screw driver through first just to make sure I'm not going to hit or wire or anything, I don't think their is a wire right there, but I would be up a creek if I hit one.

John K Jordan
10-26-2020, 10:46 PM
I'm going to try and see if I can stab a phillips screw driver through first just to make sure I'm not going to hit or wire or anything, I don't think their is a wire right there, but I would be up a creek if I hit one.

Some stud finders will detect wiring in walls.

Lee Schierer
10-27-2020, 10:00 PM
Sharpen a dowel and rotate it as you push it through the insulation. Once you reach the far side, move the dowel in a circular motion to enlarge the hole you've created. You can create sizeable holes with this method without tangling drill bits with insulation.

Travis Conner
10-29-2020, 3:08 PM
Lee I just poked around with a long twist drill bit to make Sure i wasn't hitting anything, then I finished it up from the other side with the forstner bit. The hose went right through no problems. Thanks for the help everyone.