PDA

View Full Version : Ryobi RE180PL Sub Base

Thomas McCurnin
10-25-2020, 12:49 PM
A friend gave me not one, but two of these routers for free. I knew they were bottom line tools, but I'd like to figure out a way to use them, but I cannot.

The problem is the base which is really not engineered to accept a sub base, you know, with four tapped threaded holes to accept a 8/32 machine screws. The existing sub base is glued in place. I cannot for the life of me see a way to attach a 1/4" acrylic sub base, so it is useless for mortises and other such functions. Even finding an adapter for a Porter Cable guide bushing is a bit of project.

I have a half dozen other top of the line routers, so this is no sweat, but before putting this POS on Craigslist for $20, I thought I would ask the wisdom pool here.

My only idea is pry off the thin glue applied sub base and drill holes in the base and tap them with a tap & die set up, and that is way more work than I want to devote to these routers.

Sam Puhalovich
10-26-2020, 6:49 AM
Why-not just use the 2 holes that are already there? Either tap them or use flat-head machine screws with nuts on the top-side!

Thomas McCurnin
10-26-2020, 10:46 PM
I could, but I would prefer 3 holes and the customary 4 holes.

justin sherriff
10-28-2020, 7:50 AM
what is stopping you from just drilling threw the base that is there and adding your new base? No need to remove what is there just add to it.