PDA

View Full Version : USPS Follies

Bruce Wrenn
10-24-2020, 9:13 PM
I'm normally a big fan of USPS, but? Had an Ebay purchase placed in mail in Wake Forrest Tuesday afternoon, and forwarded to Raleigh distribution center before 3:00 PM Tuesday. Our PO is served by Raleigh distribution center. Package finally leaves Raleigh distribution center EARLY Thursday AM, but doesn't show up to Apex PO till this morning. Means it's been riding around in the back of a truck for two days, after resting in distribution center for two days. Delivery was scheduled for today. Going into Ebay, first delivery date shows delivered 4:09 PM PDT. Only problem is we don't use Pacific Daylight Time here, plus I check and picked up mail ( three items) BEFORE 4:09 PDT. After opening tracking history, it shows left in, or near mail box at 1:27 EDT. No package at, or in box, or in neighbor's boxes either. Trying to contact Ebay is royal pain in the backside. After several attempts, I get a satisfaction survey from Ebay. I give them a ONE star, as they wouldn't let you give less than one and continue. Asked what I thought about their handling of my problem, and I stated "Your process is about as useful as teats on a boar hog! Totally useless!" Oh yeah, it's only 38 miles from Wake Forrest to our house. If package does show up Monday (I'm not hopeful) it will have taken a week to travel 38 miles, which in my younger days, I could have walked in a day. Average speed five miles per day. Trains move freight faster than that!

mike stenson
10-24-2020, 9:31 PM
Bruce, I was shipped a package on the 7th... across town. It's gone to LA, DC, North Carolina, and Phoenix. So far, it's sat in Phoenix (I am outside Tucson, so it's 3-4 hours away) for over a week. I went and bought the same thing today. So much for a 'logistics expert'.

I guess I'll have two.

Michael J Evans
10-24-2020, 10:02 PM
Stuff happens. I had a similar situation where I had something shipped to me from 36 miles away. It went to my town, then the next biggest city, then portland then back to Eugene and then back to Springfield. Its annoying but wasn't a critical item I needed.

I have been let down many times more by UPS and FedEx. Recently we had multiple next day air packages not arrive for 8-11 days. Some big clients of ours were not very happy and likely we lost business over it. But I have done much more shipping with UPS then USPS, so maybe that skews the results.

Honestly usps normally delivers quicker then I'm expecting.

mike stenson
10-24-2020, 10:07 PM
You're correct, however it's becoming more common of an issue (I ship USPS pretty regularly). Things ending up in the wrong spot used to happen.. but it was typically pretty quickly corrected. These days I've had a lot of things sit somewhere for a week, or longer, before being moved on. The other thing that is irritating, is that now we have our mail sent through LA, we're talking intra Tucson mail. It's not just a one-off.. it's been several, and it started about two months ago.

Brian Elfert
10-24-2020, 10:52 PM
How is it Ebay's fault that the USPS is slow delivering a package? Ebay is simply using tracking information they are receiving from the USPS. The PDT seems to simply be a programming error on Ebay's part as it shows up for me too. I never would have noticed had you not mentioned it. The time is in really my local time zone.

Bruce Wrenn
10-25-2020, 3:03 PM
How is it Ebay's fault that the USPS is slow delivering a package? Ebay is simply using tracking information they are receiving from the USPS. The PDT seems to simply be a programing error on Ebay's part as it shows up for me too. I never would have noticed had you not mentioned it. The time is in really my local time zone.It's not Ebays fault, I tried to contact them for help solving problem. Remember PayPal offers a promise - Get what you paid for. I still have two items, one from almost a year ago, that haven't been solved yet, only broken promises.

Bruce Wrenn
10-25-2020, 9:27 PM
Found my package today. Next block down at house with same last three numbers in address. They have a sign inside their box reminding carriers that they are 11512, not 12512, along with their name. Due to time package was marked as delivered, most likely a substitute carrier brought it. On Saturdays, our regular carrier reverses route, so mail doesn't come till around five PM. Unfortunately, I need item YESTERDAY to fix mower and cut grass before the rains set in. Still four days to come 38 miles, first class.

Bert Kemp
10-26-2020, 1:03 AM
Yikes I was going to start another thread on Mail woe's as I've started a couple , but I'll just roll into this one, Right now I have 3 packaged , 2 usps 1 ups that are way late . It must be a Phoenix problem as 2 of them are bouncing back and forth between Phoenix and Tucson. Why do they send them south to Tucson when they should be going north. 2 weeks ago UPS said they delivered a package which they did not. Contacting them is like pulling teeth and when you do connect they say it was delivered They told me to contact the company that shipped the package. I asked why they sent it you lost it grrrrrrrrrr. So UPS contacts the place were I bought this item They contact me and asked what happened . I told them that ups never delivered the package and I could prove it. They said they would look into it. 3 days later 2 packages show up on my porch. I contacted the company and told them I got 2 they said they sent me a replacement for the one UPS lost no charge. I sail ok I'll send one back they said don't worry bout it just keep it. LIKE WOW this company has my business for ever .

Izzy Camire
10-26-2020, 7:54 PM
I have a package I am waiting for. It was shipped on the 14th in Maine and I live in NH. No tracking info until last Thursday. Said it would be delivered today but no show. Now it says it is late with no arrival day. I could have walked to Maine and back by now.

Brian Elfert
10-26-2020, 9:14 PM
I have a package I am waiting for. It was shipped on the 14th in Maine and I live in NH. No tracking info until last Thursday. Said it would be delivered today but no show. Now it says it is late with no arrival day. I could have walked to Maine and back by now.

Did the the USPS actually get the package on the 14th, or the label just get created on the 14th? I have many times seen the label generated one day, but the shipper doesn't take the package to the Post Office for several days.

Bert Kemp
10-26-2020, 10:11 PM
I never create the lable till the evening before or the day I ship.

lowell holmes
10-26-2020, 10:15 PM
We had NO mail today. I know there are some bills due. I wil go to the post office tomorrow and ask for our mail.

Izzy Camire
10-27-2020, 8:23 PM
Did the the USPS actually get the package on the 14th, or the label just get created on the 14th? I have many times seen the label generated one day, but the shipper doesn't take the package to the Post Office for several days.

USPS did get the package on the 14th. Seller said they "lost" other packages shipped that day too.

Good news though as my package arrived today...Yippie only 13 days.

Bert Kemp
10-28-2020, 12:31 PM
Hip Hip hooray efficiency at its best , once again the PO comes thru LOL only 14 days to get it from WI to AZ, lets hope the carrier doesn't lose it in her car LOL

Wednesday, Oct 28, 2020 7:10 AM
BLACK CANYON CITY , AZ
OUT FOR DELIVERY

Wednesday, Oct 28, 2020 5:02 AM
BLACK CANYON CITY , AZ
ARRIVAL AT UNIT

Tuesday, Oct 27, 2020 11:15 AM
PHOENIX , AZ
PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY

Friday, Oct 16, 2020 2:35 AM
DES MOINES , IA

Thursday, Oct 15, 2020 3:39 PM
CHIPPEWA FALLS , WI
DEPART POST OFFICE

Thursday, Oct 15, 2020 2:47 PM
CHIPPEWA FALLS , WI
USPS IN POSSESSION OF ITEM

Jim Becker
10-28-2020, 12:39 PM
A lot of "ground" services are actually having to travel by "ground" these days because so many commercial airline flights have been curtailed. A lbig chunk of "regular mail" and packages travels in the holds of passenger flights along with the passengers' baggage. I wonder if that leg between Des Moines and Phoenix was in the back of a truck...

Bert Kemp
10-28-2020, 12:45 PM
even if it was it shouldn't take any more then 3 or 4 days not 10 or 11 days

Paul Brinkmeyer
10-28-2020, 12:51 PM
More post office mystery.
2 things sand out here in a small community just south of Tucson.

1. All my incoming mail takes 2-4 days longer than the next town down. Sometimes even more.
I had home mail and a PO box in one town and a business less than 2 miles down the road in the next town.
It was very consistent that any mail coming to the town I live in would take 2 - 4 days longer than mail to the business.

2. It always cost more to mail from the PO in the town I live in.
I could calculate the price online...go the local post office, and it was always higher...and do not ask why or you will really get it.
If it was more than a dollar or two and I had the time, I would drive the few miles to the next post office and it always matched the online price.

As a side note, if I leave anything out-going in my home mailbox and put up the red flag, it might get picked up, If it is anything other than a letter it might be returned to sender the next day,
they never will say why, just the way it is.
If you order any stamps or shipping boxes, or anything from the PO, they will not deliver, you have to get all of that in person.

Just a few days ago, I had a vendor return that I need tracking on and the vendor was paying and wanted USPS.
This time the clerk just said they would not take the package, period, and sent me away....did not like the vendors supplied address label.
Took it to the other PO and the clerk not only took the package, used that companies products as well, and said they are starting to see more returns for that company because the return policy is so good.
Nothing wrong with the label.

Bert Kemp
10-28-2020, 1:05 PM
Is your home town PO a real PO or a sub contracted office if a real PO then sounds like some fraud going on in your home town PO I would write a letter to the PO Gen.

Jim Koepke
10-28-2020, 1:43 PM
Hip Hip hooray efficiency at its best , once again the PO comes thru LOL only 14 days to get it from WI to AZ, lets hope the carrier doesn't lose it in her car LOL

Wednesday, Oct 28, 2020 7:10 AM
BLACK CANYON CITY , AZ
OUT FOR DELIVERY

Wednesday, Oct 28, 2020 5:02 AM
BLACK CANYON CITY , AZ
ARRIVAL AT UNIT

Tuesday, Oct 27, 2020 11:15 AM
PHOENIX , AZ

Friday, Oct 16, 2020 2:35 AM
DES MOINES , IA

Thursday, Oct 15, 2020 3:39 PM
CHIPPEWA FALLS , WI
DEPART POST OFFICE

Thursday, Oct 15, 2020 2:47 PM
CHIPPEWA FALLS , WI
USPS IN POSSESSION OF ITEM

At least your package didn't get a trip through Puerto Rico. My guess is my package didn't get to PR in the back of a truck.

jtk

Paul Brinkmeyer
10-28-2020, 2:03 PM
Is your home town PO a real PO or a sub contracted office if a real PO then sounds like some fraud going on in your home town PO I would write a letter to the PO Gen.

Both are real post offices.
I did that once...no answers
I have also inquired at the PO that is doing it right. again, no help.
nuff said

Jim Koepke
10-28-2020, 2:08 PM

nuff said

With the current state of the USPS you may have to contact the Inspector General of the Post Office to get results.

Then again it may just condemn all the current workers at the local PO to life in prison if there is fraud leaving no one to operate the local PO.

jtk

Kev Williams
10-28-2020, 2:46 PM
Considering all the crap the USPS in general and the employees in particular have been forced to endure in the past few months, I got no complaints. I send & receive stuff almost every day, haven't had any out of the ordinary issues. I have one or two head-scratchers per year maybe, this year my only issue has been one shipment from FedEx (that came all the way from China and got lost in a sorting facility 5 miles away)...

Brian Elfert
10-28-2020, 7:32 PM
As a side note, if I leave anything out-going in my home mailbox and put up the red flag, it might get picked up, If it is anything other than a letter it might be returned to sender the next day,
they never will say why, just the way it is.

I have read that carriers are not actually required to pick up mail from customer mailboxes. I haven't researched further to see if any truth to that.

Jim Koepke
10-28-2020, 8:05 PM
I have read that carriers are not actually required to pick up mail from customer mailboxes. I haven't researched further to see if any truth to that.

Let us know if you find any imformation on this issue. Being retired, as many folks in my area are, many of us do not go into town more than once or twice a week.

jtk

Bruce Wrenn
10-28-2020, 8:42 PM
A lot of "ground" services are actually having to travel by "ground" these days because so many commercial airline flights have been curtailed. A lbig chunk of "regular mail" and packages travels in the holds of passenger flights along with the passengers' baggage. I wonder if that leg between Des Moines and Phoenix was in the back of a truck...

Since 9-11, very few packages are on domestic flights. Instead, USPS contractors including DHL, FedEx, and UPS, along with USPS planes are hauling packages. Yesterday, I looked at some welding cable on Ebay. Seller is in California, cable costs less than $50, and weighs about 30#. They offered free shipping and three day delivery. I don't see how they can ship a 30# package across the country for $50, much less free. Yes cable will fit into a flat rate box from USPS.

Ron Citerone
10-28-2020, 8:43 PM
I won't comment on the particulars of these issues, but my neighbor is a USPS carrier and he said with Covid his number of packages has increased in a big way. Letters are down for him, but packages are way up. I've been ordering a lot of stuff online for my cottage renovation from many sources and it seems like there is lot of mistakes, but I think it is to be expected.

Brian Tymchak
10-28-2020, 9:52 PM
Was googling around looking for a replacement battery pack for my Airshield and happened upon this site which offers this message about USPS shipping.

https://woodworldtx.com/pages/usps-shipping-warning

Bert Kemp
10-29-2020, 1:04 PM
Nuff said! Then what happens to you is your own fault, if your not willing to pursue it and find out whats really going on then you can't complain.
nuff said

Paul Brinkmeyer
10-29-2020, 2:09 PM
Nuff said! Then what happens to you is your own fault, if your not willing to pursue it and find out whats really going on then you can't complain.

No, it means if I go any farther it will have to break the rules here.
And I will not take it up here

lowell holmes
10-30-2020, 9:18 AM
I went to the post office and got our mail. All of the trucks were empty and not making deliveries.

lowell holmes
10-31-2020, 9:30 AM
I went to the post office and complained. They said a dog was out front in a yard down the street. The owner went to the post office and now there is no dog out any where on the street. We will see if mail delivery resumes.

Perry Hilbert Jr
11-06-2020, 2:07 PM
I ordered an item directly from the manufacturer. Tracking through USPS showed it was shipped the next day. According to USPS tracking the item has been sitting at a facility in St Louis, MO since October 29. over week in one place. I am beginning to wonder if it is gone forever. I figure I will give it until Monday and then contact the USPS. I remember when truck loads of parcels ended up sitting for months at a sorting facility in Maryland 30 years ago. I thought with tracking, things had improved. Like a computer would raise a flag if a package or group of packages had not moved in several days.

Kev Williams
11-06-2020, 3:09 PM
Don't forget a judge recently ordered over 100 USPS facilities to search for undelivered ballots. But then, supposedly, they never did. Regardless, I have to think a whole lot of confusion ensued and we're all suffering for it.

FWIW-- yesterday, tracking for a 1st class package I sent Tuesday to a customer in town, normally 1-day service, showed the 9th as the target delivery date...

lowell holmes
11-16-2020, 5:51 PM
Mail has returned.:)

Bert Kemp
01-28-2021, 10:34 AM
Lets Talk about FEDEX LOL I ordered a pair of pants from Wrangler in Edmond OK . It 913 miles from there to here or 13 hr drive. Its been 11 days in transit and as of today its only made it to Gallup NM:rolleyes: yes they had a snow storm on Interstate 40 but that only held things up for a day.

Jim Tobias
01-28-2021, 12:03 PM
We received a Christmas Card postmarked De. 19 on January 25th..... and numerous other delays.
And then 2 days ago after waiting 2 weeks for a delivery of 4 small palm turning blanks. The end of the box was just totally blown out and they delivered it to my box with the others 3 pieces about to fall out. It's almost like they are saying: " shut up and be glad you got 3 of them".

Jim450600450601

Bert Kemp
01-28-2021, 12:33 PM
it seems like all of the mail services just don't care anymore. It use to be a thing of Pride for the USPS to deliver on time and in tact now you get it opened , missing stuff and you have to jump thru hoops to file a claim and even then they deny it half the time saying its your fault.

Jim Becker
01-28-2021, 3:50 PM
We received a Christmas Card postmarked De. 19 on January 25th.....

Got one yesterday from my "sister from another mother" in Florida...it was postmarked 17 December 2020. The funniest ones are political campaign bulk mail pieces that are much, much older. Got one of those two days ago, too.

Alex Zeller
01-28-2021, 4:21 PM
UPS and FedEx just don't seam to care. It use to be the drivers would leave the packages at our neighbor's house so they didn't have to drive up the hill in wintertime. Now they just leave them at the mailbox on the main road. If you don't pay attention to the tracking info it could be days before you realize. No wonder packages get stolen all the time.

The USPS has it's own issues. From what I read they don't pay well, maybe $40k a year but it's easy to just work unlimited overtime so making $60k or more is the norm. If you have a large portion of your work force making 50% of their salary at time and a half you clearly need more workers. Since the post office is always broke an attempt to fix the problem by cutting down OT was tried. That should have highlighted the problems and forced congress to act but it just lead to partisanship.

Of course the pandemic and people buying on-line have multiplied the problem. I'm just wondering when will Uber get involved so people can get their side hustle on dropping off packages.

Jim Becker
01-28-2021, 8:03 PM
My UPS delivery drivers have always been excellent and go beyond for us. Al, the man on the route for many years became a bit more than an acquaintance over time and it was both happy and sad when he finally retired after 35 years and also stopped getting talked into helping during the holidays. (it was hard for him given it was way north of $35 an hour to incent him to do the deed) Our current driver is a great fellow, but even the occasional substitute has been everything expected. FeEX Home, on the other hand, is all contractor delivered, so who get the run affects the outcome. Most of the drivers bring the stuff to the house and honor the clear signs that direct them to a specific door. But occasionally, a lazy one will leave a package in the mailbox...it's parcel size, but only supposed to be used by USPS. Honestly, our regular USPS driver is also a great guy, although he's clearly a cigar lover. LOL

Brian Tymchak
01-28-2021, 9:13 PM
Just got a CC statement Monday showing I missed my last payment. Funny since I mailed it Dec 26, 22 days before the due date. Got on the phone to the CC company and they got the payment last Friday, Jan 22. 27 days to get from Columbus, OH to Philly. They said it was happening to many of their accounts. They dropped the late fee and interest, and added notes on the account that it was a mail problem. Guess I may have to start doing all financial business electronically.

However, I got excellent service from FedEx in early January. Ordered 50 lbs grass seed from a company in Oregon. Had it in 5 days, even coming thru a big snowstorm in Iowa.

Bert Kemp
01-28-2021, 9:39 PM
Yikes pay bills by snail mail ummmm Nope . All mine are done electronically and auto pay. Never have to worry about being late or forgetting to send it :D

Jim Becker
01-29-2021, 7:26 PM
Just got a CC statement Monday showing I missed my last payment. Funny since I mailed it Dec 26, 22 days before the due date. Got on the phone to the CC company and they got the payment last Friday, Jan 22. 27 days to get from Columbus, OH to Philly. They said it was happening to many of their accounts. They dropped the late fee and interest, and added notes on the account that it was a mail problem. Guess I may have to start doing all financial business electronically..

IRS still hasn't cashed the check I sent them on 30 December...I'm sure I'll have to be calling in to argue the same point.

As an aside, all of our statements for everything financial come electronically and have for as long as that's been available. I don't need the paper and it ends up just having to be shredded. It's rare to not pay something electronically, too, in our house... But that's a personal decision.

Brian Tymchak
01-29-2021, 10:40 PM
IRS still hasn't cashed the check I sent them on 30 December...I'm sure I'll have to be calling in to argue the same point.

As an aside, all of our statements for everything financial come electronically and have for as long as that's been available. I don't need the paper and it ends up just having to be shredded. It's rare to not pay something electronically, too, in our house... But that's a personal decision.

I'm slowly moving to all electronic payment. You all convinced (shamed? ;)) me last summer into efiling when our taxes sat in the IRS inbox for months after they closed their centers due to Covid. So, I at least file estimated taxes electronically. Time to go all the way and do the billing electronically.

Jim Becker
01-30-2021, 9:35 AM
What I really appreciate, Brian, is that "push the button and it's paid" feeling. Even before the current mail challenges, I hated writing and mailing payments. For my cards, I use their interface to schedule the payment for the day before the actual due day. (we never carry balances...cards are used in lieu of cash) Things like utilities and vehicle payments are automatic. Where CC is used, it gains points which saves money later. It's a lot less work to do it this way.

Bert Kemp
01-30-2021, 10:42 AM
I still know people who refuse to do it. They would rather but checks, then drive to the store and buy envelopes, the drive to the post office and buy stamps then drive home, write the check, address the envelope put the stamp on it then drive back to the post office to mail it, then pray it doesn't get lost and gets there on time, while I sit back and relax everything is on auto pay, I even get a email telling me they received payment.Just can't figure out people sometimes.

Brian Elfert
01-30-2021, 12:59 PM
I know there are people out there who won't give their bank account number to credit card companies, mortgage company, utilities, whoever for autopay because they are afraid that too much money could be taken out and have a hassle getting the money back. If worried about the account number it is on the bottom of every check sent out. Some people also think they need that cancelled check as proof of payment.

Almost every bank has online bill pay if there is a concern of giving the account number out. All of the credit card issuers, mortgage companies, insurance companies, and so on are generally tied into the bill pay systems so the payment goes to them electronically. Others are paid by a check that the bank sends out.

Doug Dawson
01-30-2021, 1:07 PM

In some (many?) jurisdictions, if there’s a billing dispute of some kind and it goes to court, if you don’t have the paper then you don’t have anything. I’ll stick with the paper statements.

Bert Kemp
01-30-2021, 1:14 PM
You can easily print out all your statements:)
In some (many?) jurisdictions, if there’s a billing dispute of some kind and it goes to court, if you don’t have the paper then you don’t have anything. I’ll stick with the paper statements.

Doug Dawson
01-30-2021, 1:19 PM
You can easily print out all your statements:)
That may not work, because you can print out anything you want however you want it. That was the point, I’m assuming. They want originals.

Bert Kemp
01-30-2021, 1:31 PM
any statement you print from your online account from your financial institutions are watermarked in some fashion and are considered original. Hey do it your way , Millions of people do it electronically .to each his own . I'm lazy prefer to sit back and let the banks do all the work for me :D
That may not work, because you can print out anything you want however you want it. That was the point, I’m assuming. They want originals.

Bert Kemp
01-30-2021, 1:34 PM
Just curious how many times have you gone to court over a billing dispute ? Do you know anyone who has and lost because they had printed out electronic statements?I think were in big trouble if the courts wouldn't except them since most of the people use it now and have done away with check writing.

Doug Dawson
01-30-2021, 2:10 PM
Just curious how many times have you gone to court over a billing dispute ? Do you know anyone who has and lost because they had printed out electronic statements?I think were in big trouble if the courts wouldn't except them since most of the people use it now and have done away with check writing.
Do you know many courts that would accept what are basically photocopies of stuff printed out from the internet? I suppose you could ask the bank or credit card company or whatever to mail you some official documentation.

Brian Elfert
01-30-2021, 9:04 PM
Courts will have to figure out a way to deal with electronic statements as some banks don’t even offer the option of a mailed paper statement anymore. I do everything paperless and I am not the least bit bit worried about a possible court case. Even if I had paper statements I wouldn’t keep a filing cabinet full of them on the very remote chance chance of a court case.

Bruce Wrenn
01-30-2021, 9:18 PM
Yikes pay bills by snail mail ummmm Nope . All mine are done electronically and auto pay. Never have to worry about being late or forgetting to send it :D

Don't ask our younger son. Paid all his bills electronically. Money leaves his account, but none of it reaches destination. He only finds out when he starts getting late notices. Remember money left his account, so balance was correct. Took several MONTHS for bank to make him whole again. Even with letters in his credit file from bank explaining situation, when he went to buy another house a couple years later, it bit him again. His auto insurance premiums also went up because of this.

Bert Kemp
01-30-2021, 9:30 PM
Must not have had it set up correctly. I get an alert each time my accounts are accessed, one when the money is sent and another when its recieved. I really don't see how its possible to have money electronically with drawn from an account and not reach the intended receiver, doesn't make any sense.
Don't ask our younger son. Paid all his bills electronically. Money leaves his account, but none of it reaches destination. He only finds out when he starts getting late notices. Remember money left his account, so balance was correct. Took several MONTHS for bank to make him whole again. Even with letters in his credit file from bank explaining situation, when he went to buy another house a couple years later, it bit him again. His auto insurance premiums also went up because of this.