PDA

View Full Version : Things I learned in 2005...

Mark Cothren
01-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Let's hear from y'all...

For me...

(1) When you build a shop, whatever the estimate is that you are given for getting it "in the dry", just multiply that by 2.5 and you'll be somewhere close to what it'll take to get it "operational"...:rolleyes:

(2) You can never have too many friends when you're building a shop...:D

(3) Pictures on the www don't do justice to the actual beauty of a finished piece...:)

(4) Never polish a brass ferrule for your new bowl gouge on the buffing wheel for your bowls...:o

(5) If you're gonna haul a "Jim Ketron" size load of wood on your trailer, you better make dad-gum sure you have some good tires on that trailer...:mad:

(6) Wood spinnin' on a lathe is not only addictive to the one turning, but it is also hypnotic for anybody watchin' from the bleachers...:confused:

(7) Skews are spawned from the devil...:mad:

(8) Vacuum chucks are not...:D

Bill Stevener
01-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Well lets see.

1- Answer the phone when it rings. As I am retired now and don't have to worry about work related maters.

2- If there is a ringing noise, I don't have to wake up, because it's not the alarm.

3- Don't go on long trips, because the gas is to high.

4- Take good care of the new truck, because it's probably the last new one I will ever get.

5- Have the key in hand before locking the truck, so I don't have to call On Star to open it.

6- Always stay on good terms with the neighbors, they may be cutting down a tree you have had an eye on for a good number of years.

7- Stop buying stuff for this turning passion, well at least try to stop.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Miliunas
01-01-2006, 11:50 PM
Hmmm...lots of stuff, but I'll try to hit some of my "highlights".:rolleyes:

1) If you're from the Northern states, don't ever, ever go to Ft. Myers Beach, Florida in August!
2) If you're from the Northern states, do NOT wait until after the first significant snowfall to be sure the threads on your tires are in good shape!
3) If you have money in your pocket and intend to have it stay there, do NOT take up turning!:rolleyes:
4) If you have money in your pocket, savings account, checking account, HELOC or even in "plastic" and intend to hang on to it, don't take up Woodworking!
5) If you're looking to retire or just move to a beautiful area with a temperate climate (this is especially for the Northern states!), that place would be Laguna Beach, CA! :D
6) If you have a need to learn some of the "important" parts of the Russian language, see Jim Becker.
7) If you're ever in doubt of THE best WW forum on the Net, take a peek at the "address" field on your browser right now!
8) If you think your spouse has ever pulled the "greatest surprise ever" on you, I'd suggest you think again!:D

Sheeesh....I think I could go on and on and on and...... What a year!:D :cool:

Andy Hoyt
01-02-2006, 12:42 AM
My internal body clock seems to prefer 30 hour days.
Number One is counter-productive to running a business.
If you don't fret over the details, spending money that you don't have is a lot of fun. Especially if it's on a new lathe.
Number Three automatically causes the As Long as I'm Buying This, I Might as Well Buy That syndrome to kick in to high gear.
Giving up television was easier than I thought.
Sawmill Creek rocks.
So does Bill Grumbine's dvd
Webmastering is a hoot.

Pat Salter
01-02-2006, 1:11 AM
I have a very poor memory so many of the things I learned in 2005 I probably learned in 2004 or 2003 or (you get the idea) and when I learn them in 2006 I'll say, "Wow, why didn't I think of that before!"

John Hart
01-02-2006, 7:42 AM
1. Patience is a virtue.
2. I am not virtuous
3. Turners are like Saxaphone players...They take their craft seriously...but they are a bunch of clowns.
4. Much of the world in On The Take...SMC Members are On The GIVE!
5. Black Holes are people too.
6. Wet wood adheres to tenons poorly
7. Alcohol is not just for drinking anymore
8. High School Chemistry WAS worthwhile!
9. Don't use a roughing gouge on the inside of a bowl
10. People can make life-sized objects as small as a dime.
11. Failed projects need to be on a shelf and in your face to remind you of past mistakes
12. I found friends this year

Keith Burns
01-02-2006, 8:18 AM
Have to agree with Pat, I've already forgot what I learned :D .

Keith Outten
01-02-2006, 8:56 AM
- Life's priorities change dramatically when you pass the half century mark.
- The value of friendship increases as a life span decreases.
- The most valuable commodity in a workshop is floor space.
- Computers used to drive woodworking equipment will malfunction twice as often.
- Marketing can be valuable.
- Expert wood turners are very rare, the skills involved are difficult to master.
- Installation can easilly require more time than it took to build some projects.
- Good health, familly and friends are the only things that are truly priceless.

Jean Holland
01-02-2006, 8:56 AM
God has a plan for me...I'm not quiet sure what it is, but I should do what he guides me to do. (I went full circle in my job and wound up just where I want to be). :)
I don't want to live with my mother-in-law, but it's okay if she lives with me (on my turf). :(
I can spend more money on woodworking than my husband. :D
People like my work and I can sell it for a reasonable price. :eek:
I have two good sons and I won't have to support them for the rest of my life. :p
My husband is my sole mate and the most wonderful person I know. ;)
There's more fun in woodworking than just turning (got a scroll saw this year), but it all costs money. :cool:

Lee DeRaud
01-02-2006, 11:08 AM
1. The laser can do really cool stuff, but I still need to buy sandpaper.:rolleyes:
2. My capacity for thinking up really cool stuff I don't know how to do is apparently infinite.:mad:
3. Retirement is just as much fun as I thought it would be.:D
4. Design first, then cut...see #2.
5. If I think #4 will work better the other way around, I'm usually wrong.:eek:
6. The 0.001% of the time #4 is wrong is pretty cool.:cool:
7. Finish writing a list like this before you put in the numbers: it always comes out in the wrong order.:p
(No, wait, that's something I learned in 2006...assuming I've learned it at all.)

Carole Valentine
01-02-2006, 11:22 AM
1. Keep the acetone within reach when using CA
2. When a piece starts making funny noises spinning at 1800 rpms, DUCK AND STOP THE LATHE.
3. It's surprising what I can do if I only try, but it's no surprise at all that I can't do something I won't try!
4. Finishes are never finished. The perfect finish is the Holy Grail.
5. What's "Good enough" now will look like crap in a month. What's "Perfect" now will look like crap in a year.
6. Turners are nuts.
7. Turners are some of the nicest people in the world.
8. Good friends can be people you never even met in person.
9. There is never enough time, but there would be more if I didn't spend so much of it on this stupid box. But then I wouldn't have those friends I mentioned in #8.
10. Prayer works.

Jim Becker
01-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Assume nothing and strive for the best you can do.

Mike Ramsey
01-02-2006, 9:47 PM
1. Discovered Sawmill Creek :)
2.Turning equipment/Tools I bought in 2005 I will still be paying for in 2006! :(
3. See #9 ON John Harts list. ;)

Rich Stewart
01-03-2006, 11:26 AM
Don't slather CA on a spinning piece.
If you are going to introduce your son (or anyone else) to turning, buy another lathe.
Dont be cheap. Go ahead and get a sharpening jig right off.
To the untrained eye, almost any finish is awesome.
Most people have an untrained eye.
Keep your fingers away from spinning chucks.
Button all your pockets when turning.
Become a member of Sawmillcreek.org
Just have fun.

Raymond Overman
01-03-2006, 2:45 PM
- I need more sleep
- Sitting behind a computer all day working while thinking up design ideas will drive you nuts
- I cannot manage all the things I want to do in a day without compromising and taking shortcuts
- Taking shortcuts usually cost more than I'm willing to spend
- Given good credit, amazing things can be accomplished in a short period of time
- Never underestimate the power of idiots in large groups

Lee DeRaud
01-03-2006, 3:29 PM
- Never underestimate the power of idiots in large groupsI am NOT a large group, I'm just big-boned.:D :eek: :cool:

Curt Fuller
01-03-2006, 9:54 PM
The folks that turn things from wood are an awful lot like the wood they turn. As the chips start flying you start to see just how beautiful they are.