PDA

View Full Version : 1st Turning for me

Jim Dunn
01-01-2006, 10:59 PM
:eek: It's the first post to this forum showing something I've turned?:o Not much at that it's a handle for a hammer I'm in the process of building. It's made from walnut and the rings are burnt in. I'm going to post on the Dark Side too.

John Miliunas
01-01-2006, 11:57 PM
:eek: It's the first post to this forum showing something I've turned?:o Not much at that it's a handle for a hammer I'm in the process of building. It's made from walnut and the rings are burnt in. I'm going to post on the Dark Side too.

"First", huh? I'm really, really started to get annoyed with you guys and gals and all of your "firsts" looking like my 8th, 9th and umpteenth tries!:mad: Now stop that, wouldya'?!:D Hey Jim, that should make a dandy handle! Sheeeeesh...The guy's already got the finish downpat and burnin' rings into stuff! Nice job!:) :cool:

Jim Dunn
01-02-2006, 12:08 AM
Thanks John. It is my first with hand tools on a lathe. But in another life I was a tool room machinist. So spinny things aren't new, just holding on to the tool and hand feeding. Course I couldn't burn rings in steel with copper either then.

Jim

Bernie Weishapl
01-02-2006, 12:13 AM
Looks good to me. I like the way you burned the grooves. Great work. Keep the pictures coming.

John it will be ok. ;)

John Hart
01-02-2006, 7:50 AM
Nicely done Jim. I'd like to replace all the handles in my shop with mathing handles that I've made. Is it going to happen? Well...uh.....:o

Keith Christopher
01-02-2006, 10:04 AM
Very nice ! post a finished pic when it's all together !!!!

Ernie Nyvall
01-02-2006, 11:28 PM
Nice work here Jim. New handles on everything would be great.

Ernie

Dennis Peacock
01-02-2006, 11:52 PM
Nice work Jim.!!!! Very good for what you are calling your first turning. :D If MY first turning looked like that? I'd be farther along that I am now with my turning skills.!!!

Thanks for sharing and you're doing great!!!!

Mark Cothren
01-03-2006, 8:53 AM
Looks good - would love to see it when it's all finished and assembled.

Thanks for the picture!

Robert Mickley
01-03-2006, 9:13 AM
I don't even have a picture of my first turning, but trus me it didn't look nothing like that!! In fact I think it was designer kindling wood.

Corey Hallagan
01-03-2006, 8:26 PM
Nice work Jim! This is on my list as well, a very long list and growing. Congrats!

Corey

Jim Dunn
01-03-2006, 8:43 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm in the process of finishing the head of the hammer as I write this. May have it finished by this weekend.

Jim

Steve Clardy
01-03-2006, 8:49 PM
Looks good!