PDA

View Full Version : cutting sandpaper roll

Scott Welty
10-20-2020, 8:37 AM
I have these rolls of Porter Cable sandpaper (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000223SK/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1). I have an application for which I though I'd be real smart and cut the roll into ~1 inch rolls on the band saw. Well sparks flew and the blade was ruined about half-way through. I suspect that what I thought was cutting paper was cutting metal due to the aluminum oxide on the paper. So...

1. How to cut this stuff? Slower/metal working band saw?
2. Or, where can I find 1" wide adhesive back sandpaper.

Scott Welty
Chicago

glenn bradley
10-20-2020, 8:44 AM
Any abrasive (or abrasive material like even MDF) will dull a cutter. Carbon steel bandsaw blades wear out fast enough on just wood ;-) I would grab a metal cutting blade and see how you do. How long do the pieces need to be? If not long, I would cut the material to length and then cut the short pieces length-wise . . . that would be prior to being halfway done like you are now. I have an old pair of tin snips from my Grandpa that I use to cut paper for my drum sander. Perhaps something like that would work for short cuts. If you are trying to make long rolls of 1" material for some reason I would just buy the stuff in that format. I love being creative around the shop but, some things are better left to the manufacturers.

Frank Pratt
10-20-2020, 9:29 AM
Umm, sandpaper is covered in sharp particles of some of the hardest materials, way harder than the hardest steel. I doubt even a carbide blade would do well with that task. I think the best way to cut the strips is to lay the paper out & use a straight edge & box cutter to score it from the paper side. You'll have to snap off the blade frequently, but they're cheap.

Zachary Hoyt
10-20-2020, 9:32 AM
I cut my drum sander strips from a roll of 80 grit, and I use some very large old (or at least old looking) all-metal scissors. They have been my sandpaper cutting scissors for years and I have never had to sharpen them yet. The abrasive does not seem to have hurt them, somehow.

Jim Becker
10-20-2020, 9:34 AM
I believe the OP wants to cut a longer roll into shorter rolls, all rolled up during the cutting, as it were...I'm not sure there is a simple solution for that because of the nature of abrasives and the media is likely cut/slit during manufacture before being rolled up.

Bill Dufour
10-20-2020, 9:39 AM
A water jet might do it if the paper is waterproof. laser or edm may burn the edges.
Bill D

Matt Day
10-20-2020, 9:54 AM
As suggested, I would try a metal cutting blade on the bandsaw first. Be prepared to have sandpaper grit particles all over your saw parts.

A portaband might be a good tool here. Much cheaper blades.

Because if you can’t cut it rolled up, you’ve got a lot of work ahead of you trying to cut 10 yards of paper into strips with a razor blade.

Brian Tymchak
10-20-2020, 10:12 AM
I would think that the heat generated during cutting thru adhesive backed paper would create a gooey mess on the blade, and consequently your bandsaw tires, etc.

Have you checked Klingspor? My bet is that if the product exists they would have it or steer you in the right direction.

Frank Pratt
10-20-2020, 11:30 AM
It will ruin a metal cutting blade in short order. Might be worth a try if you have a dull one on hand that you don't mind ruining.

Ole Anderson
10-20-2020, 12:01 PM
Aluminum oxide is the abrasive used to sharpen things. It will dull them quicker if used incorrectly. To cut 8.5x11 sheets of 120 and finer abrasive, I use a paper cutter, abrasive side down, it works well. I see no easy way to slice an unrolled roll of abrasive paper or cloth with normal shop tools. Unroll it and use a straightedge and box knife as suggested will be your best bet. Abrasive side down.

Alex Zeller
10-20-2020, 1:19 PM
A metal blade will not work much better. The sandpaper is more like rock than metal. The second thing I can see happening is you injuring yourself trying to cut something soft on a bandsaw. I'm not normally that kind of guy to point it out but for less than $10 a roll at Klingspor Woodworking Shop I would just buy the correct size and not spend more money on blades.

Scott Welty
10-20-2020, 2:19 PM
Thanks everybody! I've learned (hard way . . . again!). But I found this (https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/supplies/sanding-and-polishing/sandpaper-and-finishing-papers/3m-stikit-gold-abrasives-1-inch-roll.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2020-10-gp&gclid=CjwKCAjwlbr8BRA0EiwAnt4MTgqX_5piKKbUm50Pn13u NfnYWxLb8-xO-7Y2LQh93KeJQyRHX7bM_xoCmx4QAvD_BwE)which will serve me well.

Scott

Zachary Hoyt
10-20-2020, 2:46 PM
I got a roll of 3" wide 80 grit PSA roll from them years ago and it is still going strong, I only use it on radius blocks when making a radiused fretboard so I don't get through a lot.

Prashun Patel
10-20-2020, 2:54 PM
Glad you found a solution. Another thing that I wouldn't want you to learn the hard way:
cutting 'wheels' on the bandsaw is a bad thing. The blade can roll your tube. At the very least it can roll your fingers into the blade. At the worst - with a large log, it can do that AND cause the wood to slam down onto the table, crushing your other hand and ruining the blade. DAMHIKT.... I made it out with only slight bruising on my fingers and a twisted blade. Did lose a pair of underwear though :(

Bert McMahan
10-20-2020, 4:00 PM
I wonder if an abrasive wheel could "brute force" its way through?

Frank Pratt
10-20-2020, 5:18 PM
Glad you found a solution. Another thing that I wouldn't want you to learn the hard way:
cutting 'wheels' on the bandsaw is a bad thing. The blade can roll your tube. At the very least it can roll your fingers into the blade. At the worst - with a large log, it can do that AND cause the wood to slam down onto the table, crushing your other hand and ruining the blade. DAMHIKT.... I made it out with only slight bruising on my fingers and a twisted blade. Did lose a pair of underwear though :(

Very good point! I saw a video of just such an event (cutting a cookie from a log section) a few years ago & the results were spectacular and not in a good way. the band saw got banged up, blade ruined, but the user was, miraculously, not badly hurt. A band saw blade has a lot of traction when it meets something.

Jim Becker
10-20-2020, 7:40 PM
Thanks everybody! I've learned (hard way . . . again!). But I found this (https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/supplies/sanding-and-polishing/sandpaper-and-finishing-papers/3m-stikit-gold-abrasives-1-inch-roll.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2020-10-gp&gclid=CjwKCAjwlbr8BRA0EiwAnt4MTgqX_5piKKbUm50Pn13u NfnYWxLb8-xO-7Y2LQh93KeJQyRHX7bM_xoCmx4QAvD_BwE)which will serve me well.

Scott

THat's a good product, Scott. Philadelphia Luther Supply also sells adhesive backed rolls like that. I believe Lee Valley does, too.

Bill Dufour
10-20-2020, 7:43 PM
I suppose you could sandblast it. They do use the process to cut stone.
Bil lD

Frank Pratt
10-20-2020, 9:03 PM
I suppose you could sandblast it. They do use the process to cut stone.
Bil lD

To cut sandpaper??? That puts Rube Goldberg to shame.

John K Jordan
10-20-2020, 10:04 PM

Scott

For future reference, something to try: I always cut sandpaper by hand with a heavy duty scissors. I keep special scissors just for sandpaper. Been using the same scissors for about 15 years now. They get dull but still cut.

JKJ

Jim Becker
10-21-2020, 9:02 AM
For future reference, something to try: I always cut sandpaper by hand with a heavy duty scissors. I keep special scissors just for sandpaper. Been using the same scissors for about 15 years now. They get dull but still cut.

JKJ

I do it that way, too, John. But the OP was looking for a way to "slice the roll" to create narrower rolls from a wide one.

lowell holmes
10-21-2020, 9:30 AM
I use one of these.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1422&bih=678&tbm=shop&sxsrf=ALeKk00V7vQChckQOeghhyY55lbuZ-GC3w%3A1603286902977&ei=djeQX-qOO4TitQXWv5e4Dw&q=lowes+knife&oq=lowes+knife&gs_lcp=Cgtwcm9kdWN0cy1jYxABGAEyAggAMgIIADIECAAQGDI GCAAQChAYMgQIABAYMgQIABAYMgQIABAYMgQIABAYMgQIABAYM gQIABAYOgQIIxAnOgQIABBDOgoIABCxAxCDARBDOggIABCxAxC DAVCzgAFYoe0BYJmZAmgAcAB4AIABVYgB0AOSAQE3mAEAoAEBq gEPcHJvZHVjdHMtY2Mtd2l6wAEB&sclient=products-cc

Jim Becker
10-21-2020, 12:39 PM
I use one of these.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1422&bih=678&tbm=shop&sxsrf=ALeKk00V7vQChckQOeghhyY55lbuZ-GC3w%3A1603286902977&ei=djeQX-qOO4TitQXWv5e4Dw&q=lowes+knife&oq=lowes+knife&gs_lcp=Cgtwcm9kdWN0cy1jYxABGAEyAggAMgIIADIECAAQGDI GCAAQChAYMgQIABAYMgQIABAYMgQIABAYMgQIABAYMgQIABAYM gQIABAYOgQIIxAnOgQIABBDOgoIABCxAxCDARBDOggIABCxAxC DAVCzgAFYoe0BYJmZAmgAcAB4AIABVYgB0AOSAQE3mAEAoAEBq gEPcHJvZHVjdHMtY2Mtd2l6wAEB&sclient=products-cc

That's a nice product, but it's not going to cut a wider roll of abrasive paper into shorter rolls while still rolled up...

lowell holmes
10-21-2020, 6:51 PM
Would a hacksaw cut it? Just asking?

Frank Pratt
10-21-2020, 9:32 PM
Would a hacksaw cut it? Just asking?

No, but it would make a mess of things before the blade quickly dulled. This is coming from a guy who's used a hacksaw extensively for decades.

Mel Fulks
10-22-2020, 1:46 AM
Score the PAPER side with a utility knife ,then bend ...to break

Jim Becker
10-22-2020, 8:59 AM
Score the PAPER side with a utility knife ,then bend ...to break
OP is asking about cutting a long roll into shorter rolls...without unrolling, as it were...

John K Jordan
10-22-2020, 9:55 AM
I do it that way, too, John. But the OP was looking for a way to "slice the roll" to create narrower rolls from a wide one.

Scissors would still work - but just take longer after unrolling! :) Let's see, 10 yard roll, three cuts, good hand exercise. (Makes my hand cramp just imagining it)

I've also cut coarse sandpaper with a utility knife. Seemed like the blade lasted longer when cut from the back side.

Mel Fulks
10-22-2020, 12:04 PM
OP is asking about cutting a long roll into shorter rolls...without unrolling, as it were...
Oh...Then use a friend's band saw !

Zachary Hoyt
10-22-2020, 1:10 PM
I don't know if this would work, but what about using a cut off wheel in an angle grinder? You wouldn't be out much if it didn't work, the wheels are cheap.

Jim Becker
10-22-2020, 1:27 PM
Oh...Then use a friend's band saw !
I'm thinking that would likely result in an ex-friend relationship. :) :D

Alex Zeller
10-22-2020, 1:59 PM
If you didn't mind possibly having creases you could flatten the roll and then use a shingle cutter. But the cost to buy one would far outweigh just buying rolls of the correct width.

Warren Lake
10-22-2020, 5:29 PM
it can be done likely largest company cut roll of 2000 grit for a custom car builder friend to put on his sanding boards. Aluminum 1" thick and up to likely 3 feet long the boards. Think sales guy pulled some strings as he respected the work he saw.

Clipped on his boards not stick on. I like the 2 3/4 stick on 3M autobody paper its great in the shop even for sharpening chisels or whatever up to 550 grit.