Rob Lee
10-19-2020, 1:32 PM
...through your thumb hurts.

Don't do it.

Cheers -

Rob

mike stenson
10-19-2020, 2:19 PM
I've done similar (palm) before. You're correct, it's no fun. I hope it was as relatively minor as mine was. Heal up soon!

Rob Lee
10-19-2020, 2:31 PM
I've done similar (palm) before. You're correct, it's no fun. I hope it was as relatively minor as mine was. Heal up soon!

Fortunately only 3/32". Working overhead, and bit snapped. Dumb. At the base of the nail - but missed bone. Sure leaked a lot though.

Jim Koepke
10-19-2020, 2:35 PM
Just reading this makes me cringe.

Early safety training has aided me through life, except when riding a bicycle.

jtk

Phil Mueller
10-19-2020, 2:42 PM
Ouch. Sorry to hear Rob. Hate that split second when your brain catches up and you realize something bad just happened! Take care of it...those things can fester. You know, that wouldn’t have happened if you were using that nice new replica egg-beater drill you’re tempting me with :rolleyes:

Tom M King
10-19-2020, 3:55 PM
I hope it was only a minor flesh wound, and will heal quickly.

Mark Rainey
10-19-2020, 4:12 PM
When was your last tetanus immunization?

Rob Lee
10-19-2020, 5:24 PM
When was your last tetanus immunization?

Pretty sure it was within the last 10 years. I'm watching it ....!

Ted Calver
10-19-2020, 6:25 PM
Through and through. Bet you won't do that again:eek:. Heal quick, Rob.

Jeff Wittrock
10-19-2020, 6:56 PM
Puncture wounds are the worst.
Heal up quick.

Jason Lester
10-19-2020, 7:28 PM
On the flip side, your PMV11 chisels get so sharp that I've cut my fingers on a couple of occasions without knowing until I saw the blood!

Derek Cohen
10-19-2020, 7:36 PM
...through your thumb hurts.

Don't do it.

Cheers -

Rob

Lynndy says, “Everyone should have a nail gun ... or two”.

I am not so sure that you would be safe around one! :D

Regards from Perth

Derek

Rob Lee
10-19-2020, 7:45 PM
Lynndy says, “Everyone should have a nail gun ... or two”.

I am not so sure that you would be safe around one! :D

Regards from Perth

Derek

Don’t make come down there Derek!

On second thought......:D

Larry Frank
10-19-2020, 7:47 PM
Dang....My thumb hurts reading this. I bet some interesting words were spoken!

Brian Hale
10-19-2020, 8:51 PM
A new product line testing technique? :eek:

Stew Denton
10-19-2020, 9:02 PM
Rob,

Sorry to hear about the unplanned perforation. Have had similar experiences, well, not quite exactly the same, but similar.

I am a member of the Texas Southern Baptists Disaster Relief Organization on an "on and off" (but mostly on) basis, and need to renew my training pretty soon to get back on, as I have been behind a few months....so am temporarily off the group again.

What I learned from the last time I served in a disaster trip (a flood) is "DON'T PUT OFF THE TETNUS SHOT." If it could POSSIBLY have been anywhere near as long as 10 years GET A FRESH TETNUS SHOT. It is not worth the risk!

Regards,

Stew

mike stenson
10-19-2020, 9:13 PM
The last time I started a reply to "When was your last tetanus shot?" with "I think.." I got that far and the doc said "No, the correct answer is TODAY!" ;)

lowell holmes
10-20-2020, 9:59 AM
I always worry about my nail guns and now I will have to worry about my drills.

Christopher Charles
10-20-2020, 10:22 AM
Was it with your new LV eggbeater? (just got my catalog yesterday...) That'd be a feat!

Seriously-will echo above and would call the doc to confirm about the tetanus. I hope you heal soon!

Rob Lee
10-20-2020, 1:07 PM
Thanks for all the comments - and the prompts for a Tetanus shot... I'll go get a booster. Just had the flu shot yesterday....

Cheers -

Rob

George Yetka
10-20-2020, 3:59 PM
I put a 3/4 paddle bit into my thumb deep enough to get a circle. No major damage though just alot of blood. Duct tape fixed it though

Kevin Adams
10-21-2020, 7:29 AM
Was it with your new LV eggbeater? (just got my catalog yesterday...) That'd be a feat!!

Agree on that egg beater, that hit my wish list so fast it woke all the other items up! Gotta get orders in early this year, too. Hope you’re well, Rob, take care!

Kevin

glenn bradley
10-21-2020, 9:09 AM
Fortunately only 3/32". Working overhead, and bit snapped. Dumb. At the base of the nail - but missed bone. Sure leaked a lot though.

Yikes! So, not only drilled but, with a jagged edge no less ;-(

Rob Lee
10-21-2020, 11:45 AM
Yikes! So, not only drilled but, with a jagged edge no less ;-(

Pretty sure the jagged edge was sharper than the original bit! :rolleyes:

It's healing up nicely......(but I'll still never be able to play the piano......) :D

James Pallas
10-21-2020, 11:56 AM
I think a company called Lee Valley sells clamps for almost any situation you could encounter. You should give them a try.😉

Paul Saffold
10-21-2020, 4:02 PM
I've done that with a brad point bit. One of yours, Rob. Nice clean holes in wood, not so clean in fingers...

Curt Putnam
10-21-2020, 5:15 PM
Pretty sure the jagged edge was sharper than the original bit! :rolleyes:

It's healing up nicely......(but I'll still never be able to play the piano......) :D

I did the same thing with a dull phillips head bit 20 years ago - and I can't play the piano either. :mad:

Josh Robinson
10-21-2020, 6:22 PM
My Brother, God rest him, once shot a nail through his big toe, nailing battens for concrete roof tile. Pried it out with a pair of nippers, wrapped it up and went back to work!

Curt Harms
10-22-2020, 6:15 AM
Rob,

Sorry to hear about the unplanned perforation. Have had similar experiences, well, not quite exactly the same, but similar.

I am a member of the Texas Southern Baptists Disaster Relief Organization on an "on and off" (but mostly on) basis, and need to renew my training pretty soon to get back on, as I have been behind a few months....so am temporarily off the group again.

What I learned from the last time I served in a disaster trip (a flood) is "DON'T PUT OFF THE TETNUS SHOT." If it could POSSIBLY have been anywhere near as long as 10 years GET A FRESH TETNUS SHOT. It is not worth the risk!

Regards,

Stew

Too true. Anybody in this business/hobby is going to perforate themselves periodically. It's why I'll never have a tattoo. I poke enough holes in myself by accident that I have no desire to do so on purpose.

Rob Lee
10-22-2020, 11:28 AM
My Brother, God rest him, once shot a nail through his big toe, nailing battens for concrete roof tile. Pried it out with a pair of nippers, wrapped it up and went back to work!

Well, this thread could turn into an injury “one-up”.....:rolleyes:

My entry: I had a great Aunt who farmed outside of Belleville Ontario. One year, she got frostbite on several toes, and they turned black..... she nipped them off with pincers used for trimming hooves.....

That’s tough.

lowell holmes
10-22-2020, 12:27 PM
I think I will use my drill press from now on.

Josh Robinson
10-22-2020, 6:34 PM
Doubt any one can top that one Rob!

Jack Frederick
10-23-2020, 11:00 AM
Life is a humbling experience!

Dave Zellers
10-23-2020, 1:16 PM
This seems like a pretty drastic way to advertise eggbeaters.
:cool:

Dave Zellers
10-23-2020, 9:37 PM
Looks like I killed the thread. Too dark?
:p

Never drilled a hole through my finger, but I did push a chisel right through the middle sideways. Like Rob said, lots of leakage. Even the nurse cringed.

Derek Cohen
10-24-2020, 7:39 AM
Well, this thread could turn into an injury “one-up”.....:rolleyes:

My entry: I had a great Aunt who farmed outside of Belleville Ontario. One year, she got frostbite on several toes, and they turned black..... she nipped them off with pincers used for trimming hooves.....

That’s tough.

Rob, I hope that this is not hereditary ....

Regards from Perth

Derek