PDA

View Full Version : Pretreating pine prior to staining

Don Morris
01-01-2006, 7:58 PM
Somewhere I remember you could use mineral spirits to pretreat pine prior to staining pine as well as a varnish or some specific type of filler to eliminate the blotchyness (word?) of pine prior to staining it. I have to lightly stain a new pine stairwell to match some red oak flooring and I have a lot of mineral spirits on hand. Will that work? Or best material to use prior to light staining of pine is______? Thanks for any guidance. My books on finishing are still put away while the home renovation is coming to an end.

Don M

Mark Rios
01-01-2006, 8:11 PM
Someone (a major name but I forget what it is) makes a wood conditioner exactly for this. Home Depot carries it.

Richard Wolf
01-01-2006, 8:11 PM
Minwax sell a conditioner for wood like pine that reduse the blotchness. You could also try a coat of shelac.

Richard

David Scarborough
01-01-2006, 8:12 PM
Hey Don,
ANYtime I plan on using pine for a project I treat the surface with minwax pre-stain conditioner and apply my stain within 30 minutes after application. It works like a dream. A word to the wise: make sure the area is verrrry well ventilated while using it. The stuff reeks.
Also, if you consider using the minwax, pre-test in a small barely seen area first.

My 2 cents worth,

DS

John Bush
01-01-2006, 8:24 PM
Hello all,
I have been milling stock out of pine beams from a barn built in the 1880's and there is still a lot of resin in the wood, mostly around the knots. Is there any special technique for glue-ups??? and I was assuming Don's question relates to the same issue. Thanks, John.