PDA

View Full Version : Workbench Storage Shelf

Lamar Keeney
10-15-2020, 6:34 PM
:)

Years back after watching Saint Roy do a show on the French workbench I decided that I would build one of that design someday thinking it would be a challenge and trust me it was and I included a storage shelf 7" off the floor.

Didn't take long for the advantages to become apparent. First you have a place to throw any jig, support blocks, wedges, off cut and other junk after the tool tray over flows that you just know you will need someday till you can't find any of them. The real advantage is if drop anything you know where to look for it. Case in point, dropped a 1/4" nut standing four ft away and it made a beeline to get under that damn shelf. 18'X24' of shop and at least 3' clearance for the bench, but no....under the most immoveable object in the shop.

Gotta love it and don't even mention organization, I've concluded that for folks who are just to lazy to hunt it.

Y'all have a good day

glenn bradley
10-15-2020, 7:35 PM
Locations in the shop that are a "catch-all" come with a fine; wasted time.

Clifford McGuire
10-15-2020, 9:55 PM
Not sure what a French workbench looks like.

I'd love to see pics of it...and your shelf.

William Fretwell
10-15-2020, 10:41 PM
Lamar, making a workbench is a major project. Most of us would find the top of the bench more interesting! Please post photos of the ‘Roubo’ or whatever you think is French.
Yes storage shelves can be useful. Under bench storage for me is for tools, jigs etc that I may need at hand, off cut storage is much further away.

ken hatch
10-15-2020, 11:11 PM
Lamar, making a workbench is a major project. Most of us would find the top of the bench more interesting! Please post photos of the ‘Roubo’ or whatever you think is French.
Yes storage shelves can be useful. Under bench storage for me is for tools, jigs etc that I may need at hand, off cut storage is much further away.

William,

It doesn't have to be. Kinda depends on if you want a Taj Mal bench or just a functional bench. I can usually finish a bench in less than 60 to 80 man hours depending on vises used, less than a month while working full time at my day job. I totally agree, a lower shelf is handy and all my benches have one but like you I only use it for tools, appliances, and jigs.

ken

ken hatch
10-15-2020, 11:14 PM
Not sure what a French workbench looks like.

I'd love to see pics of it...and your shelf.

Clifford,

Google "Roubo Bench". It is a bench with a heavy slab and thick legs for the base and likely to have a leg vise.

ken

Ben Ellenberger
10-15-2020, 11:21 PM
I’m a big fan of shelves under benches. I think the best set-up is to use slats with gaps in between them. That keeps you from tossing every little thing on the shelf, but still gives you a spot to set jigs, parts, and other such stuff while you are working. I find I set my bench planes on the shelf pretty regularly. It gets them out of the way and safe from being knocked off the bench, but still close at hand.

William Fretwell
10-16-2020, 8:22 AM
For most of us Ken the first real bench IS a major project, both in time and size. Lamar admits as much in his comment.
As for ‘functionality’ that is where peoples ideas differ based on what they want to make.
I was raised at an affluent school with a room full of beech ‘Scandinavian’ benches that were wonderfully functional, so I’m a lost cause as far as benches go. I’ve yet to see a more functional bench for wood holding. The school benches were a little short for building large tables but that was an easy fix.

Derek Cohen
10-16-2020, 8:52 AM
There must be someone here with a Roubo which has a leg vise and tool shelf!? :rolleyes:

Regards from Perth

Derek

ken hatch
10-16-2020, 9:09 AM
There must be someone here with a Roubo which has a leg vise and tool shelf!? :rolleyes:

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

Never heard of such a thing on this forum, you must be thinking of some other place :D.

ken

ken hatch
10-16-2020, 9:17 AM
For most of us Ken the first real bench ISa major project, both in time and size. Lamar admits as much in his comment.
As for ‘functionality’ that is where peoples ideas differ based on what they want to make.
I was raised at an affluent school with a room full of beech ‘Scandinavian’ benches that were wonderfully functional, so I’m a lost cause as far as benches go. I’ve yet to see a more functional bench for wood holding. The school benches were a little short for building large tables but that was an easy fix.

William,

I'll still go with "It doesn't have to be". As I have stated many times the first bench should be built cheap, fast, and simple. After that learning experience build another if you must, but this time you should have the knowledge that was not there on the first build.

ken

Derek Cohen
10-16-2020, 9:18 AM
:D

Regards from Perth

Derek

ken hatch
10-16-2020, 9:33 AM
:D

Regards from Perth

Derek

From long ago, when I didn't know better:

ken

Jim Matthews
10-16-2020, 11:09 AM
:)
iCase in point, dropped a 1/4" nut standing four ft away and it made a beeline to get under that damn shelf. 18'X24' of shop and at least 3' clearance for the bench, but no....under the most immoveable object in the shop.

That's one of Murphy's corolaries, innit?

"The crucial bolt for assembly will naturally roll under the darkest, least accessible vehicle in the garage.

mike stenson
10-16-2020, 11:15 AM
That's one of Murphy's corolaries, innit?

"The crucial bolt for assembly will naturally roll under the darkest, least accessible vehicle in the garage.

It's the same reason I own more 10mm sockets than any other tool.

John Gornall
10-16-2020, 6:55 PM
And then there's the bits n pieces that dissappear down dog holes

Ken, I'd like to play on your bench - nice

ken hatch
10-16-2020, 7:00 PM
And then there's the bits n pieces that dissappear down dog holes

Ken, I'd like to play on your bench - nice

John,

Thanks.

That bench is no longer in use, still in the shop but mostly used for storage of wood.

Dog holes here as well, where they go from there who knows.

ken

Jim Matthews
10-16-2020, 7:47 PM
It's the same reason I own more 10mm sockets than any other tool.

There's an app for that...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0171/6210/8992/products/TS-M-_-BLK-CAR005__188_20399aef-789a-40a9-8ac9-71d8a609c893.jpg?v=1563501518

Michael J Evans
10-17-2020, 2:01 PM
I love my bench shelf. If I ever build another bench it will have a shelf as well.

Rob Luter
10-17-2020, 7:47 PM
Gravity holds mine in. It comes out now and then for clean up and retrieval of dropped stuff.

Matt Lau
10-19-2020, 12:07 PM
From long ago, when I didn't know better:

ken

Now that you know better, what do you like?

ken hatch
10-19-2020, 12:27 PM
Now that you know better, what do you like?

Matt,

A much simpler bench, that does the basic holding very well and lets the seldom used appliances such as the sliding dead man and the wagon vise be taken care of by other means that are not a part of the bench. Too much capability just gets in the way of day to day work. Also a bench that was easier to build and one that I can move without help.

My basic bench is now a Moravian with a leg vise and dog holes.

Simple with nothing to get in the way of most jobs, when other means of work holding is needed there are an endless number of bench appliances and fixtures that can be used quickly and with ease.

ken