PDA

View Full Version : Disconnected shaper brake

Jared Burkey
10-15-2020, 1:07 PM
About 2 years ago I bought my Powermatic/SAC TS.110 shaper. At the time of the purchase the spindle brake was already disconnected. I had plenty of refurbishing to do at the time of the purchase so didn't reattach the brake as it was a luxury and not a necessity. After a few years of use I am now constantly annoyed about waiting around for a few minutes for the wind down every time I need to adjust. I have spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out where and how the cable needs to be reconnected. Any info on where the brake cable connects to the spindle is greatly appreciated. The cable is currently still attached to the pedal and neatly coiled and zip tied to keep it out of the way. Thanks for your time.
Jared

Bill Dufour
10-15-2020, 8:35 PM
If it is three phase a VFD will give dynamic braking with no moving parts.
Bil lD

Bohdan Drozdowskyj
10-15-2020, 8:51 PM
In my case it was an Italian shaper and the mislabled "brake" pedal was, in fact, the shaft lock. After many accidental steps on the pedal while it was running we disconnected the cable.

We had a government worksafe inspector visit and he insisted that the pedal be reconnected for "safety" reasons.

We agreed on the provisor that he operated the pedal. The moulder was brought up to speed and he walked up to the pedal, all of the workers dissappeared under machines, he stomped on the pedal and the 2" x 6" diameter cutter disappeared thru the roof.

The slightly green looking inspector announced that we could leave the brake disconnected, left the premises and we never saw him again.

We also never found the cutter so we don't know where it finished up.

Mel Fulks
10-15-2020, 9:15 PM
Bohdan, that is a great story! I've had to use a couple of Italian shapers that had disconnected brake cables.
It's an embarrassing experience. And why does OSHA allow shapers with a 'standard cable trip hazard ' instead of
a brake !

Jared Burkey
10-16-2020, 10:04 AM
Mine is Italian made as well. Mine has 2 pedals. 1 labeld lock and 1 brake. The lock functions and I have considered disconnecting it. I haven't ever kicked it while it was at full speed but I can only imagine the repercussions of instantly stoping the 4 1/2" insert cope and stick head. I've looked into the VFDs but it seems like a chunk of cash and a chunk of time just to have a brake.

Jared Burkey
10-16-2020, 2:24 PM
I found a manual online with pictures of the interior of the cabinet. Now I know that the entire drum brake assembly was unbolted and removed. Anyone know where I can find SAC parts? Sense they went out of business in 2014 it seems like replacement parts are near impossible to find.