PDA

View Full Version : Latest project - Pic too!

Kevin Gerstenecker
07-12-2003, 4:08 PM
After presenting my Cousin with a Small Box as a token of appreciation for hosting our Family Reunion, I had a request from another relative for an example of my work. I offered some wood choices, and after seeing the Yellowheart I had, she just HAD to have one with that and Walnut. She kind of gave me some idea of what she wanted, and this is the result. Maybe not my choice of design, but I like how it turned out. Sure is different, and that is what she wanted? Anyway, I have one coat of Oil on it so far, and will probably add another 2 coats, and then rub it out with wax. Kinda catchy, don't you think? :D Here are a few details about the project: Milled and glued up panel Thursday evening, cut and assembled on Friday evening, and sanded and first coat of Oil Saturday Morning. I was going to just give the box to her, but she insisted that she pay for it, so who am I to argue? ;) As always, it was a fun project, and now I have some Mad Money to boot! :D Thanks for taking a look!

Chris DiCiaccio
07-12-2003, 4:25 PM
Another great box! Like you said it is different, but looks nice. I've never used yellowheart before. Keep up the good work.

Kevin Gerstenecker
07-12-2003, 4:33 PM
Thanks Chris, I appreciate the comments. This is the 2nd time I have worked with Yellowheart. It cuts, mills, sands and finishes very well. I would rate it about the same as cherry in that regard. I was a bit sceptical about the wood choice at first, but it has kinda grown on me now that it is done. It sure stands out, that is for sure!

Ken Salisbury
07-12-2003, 4:34 PM
You B Da Box Man! ! !
Very Nice Job

Ken Garlock
07-12-2003, 7:50 PM
I would be proud to have it on display in my home any time. :)

Nice work....

Jim Becker
07-12-2003, 8:07 PM
Gorgeous! (My succinct statement of the day... :D )

Doug Jones
07-12-2003, 8:41 PM
Kevin,
you are like a king of kings in the box world. Once again the two different woods used compliment each other very well. Keep'em coming.

Joe Tonich
07-12-2003, 8:47 PM
Kevin,

Great looking box! Now, a question. Will the Yellowheart stay that yellow or does it fade in time? :confused:

Joe

Carl Eyman
07-12-2003, 8:53 PM
A wonderful effort.

Dennis Peacock
07-12-2003, 9:13 PM
Nice box kevin and very well done.!!!!! Really like that yellow heart..!!

Kevin Gerstenecker
07-12-2003, 10:04 PM
Joe, the Yellowheart I have worked with in the past, only once before actually, had stayed bright and yellow. It was used as an inlay for another project, and it is as bright as the day I planed it. It has not been in direct sunlight, and the finish on that piece was also Tung Oil with Wax. Although my experience has been limited with Yellowheart, it seems to hold the color well.........at least in the work I have done.

Richard McComas
07-13-2003, 4:11 AM
Kevin,

Great looking box! Now, a question. Will the Yellowheart stay that yellow or does it fade in time? :confused:

Joe

Joe here's a web site with some information on yellowheart.
http://www.thewoodbox.com/data/wood/pauamarelloinfo.htm

Joe Tonich
07-13-2003, 8:20 AM
Kevin,

Thanks. I'm gonna see if I can find it around here and give it a try in something.

Richard,

Thanks for the site. I bookmarked it for future reference.

Joe

Bruce Page
07-13-2003, 11:29 AM
Very Nice Kevin, The yellowheart & walnut contrast is striking!