PDA

View Full Version : How to check for dust collection leaks?

Steve Mathews
10-14-2020, 7:03 PM
I just changed my dust collection bin from a steel 55 gal. drum to one of the same capacity but made out of plastic. I also made a clear plastic lid so monitoring of the dust level will be easier. Pic below. I also want to check for any leaks in the system. What's the best way to do this?

David Utterback
10-14-2020, 7:48 PM
Occupational (industrial) hygienists use smoke tubes. Smoke from a burning cigarette also works if you do not object to the odor, irritation, etc. It works best for systems at negative pressure but can be useful for positive pressure locations as well.

glenn bradley
10-14-2020, 9:38 PM
I use stick incense. Available at most 'smoke shops' I have been using the same small pack for a couple of decades. The only reason I can find it after however many years is that I tape it to the back of the blower housing. I mean really, how often do you have to do this, right? ;-)

Bill Dufour
10-14-2020, 10:05 PM
Watch out for any smoke method that uses heat and flames. Drop some glowing ash into a pile of sawdust and come back at midnight to see has has happened. With Halloween almost here I bet smoke machines are on sale or use some dry ice.
Bil lD

Mike Kees
10-14-2020, 10:45 PM
After employees at several stores gave me real strange looks asking for incense sticks I used a mosquito coil. Worked great.

roger wiegand
10-15-2020, 8:27 AM
Run a stethoscope with the end taken off (or just a rubber tube stuck (carefully) in one ear) over the seams. You can pinpoint the tiniest leaks by sound. Use it all the time in my player piano and organ work. No stinky smoke to breathe.

David Utterback
10-15-2020, 1:06 PM
Great ideas for alternatives!

Michael W. Clark
10-17-2020, 4:44 PM
Tissue paper. Any leaks that matter will pull it right up to the leaking area. Works best where the system is under negative pressure.

I’ve used the smoke tubes, seems to take more smoke than you would think. As Bill says, no heat or flames, dangerous in a sawdust collection system.

Daniel O'Neill
10-29-2020, 11:42 AM
I bought the incense sticks at WalMart. They work pretty well and were $1-2. (Been a while). I've also used them to look at spots in the house to see if there are leaks.

Larry Frank
10-29-2020, 7:44 PM
I just listen for leaks but have none in my PVC piping.