PDA

View Full Version : My Version of Garrett Hack's Huntboard

Phil Gaudio
10-14-2020, 4:58 PM
I was asked to post this separately, having already posted in the thread entitled "Anyone Building Anything?"

Garrett Hack’s Huntboard (my version with a more Shaker emphasis)

I started this build in late April, and just finished last week. Its my version of Garrett Hack’s Huntboard. I worked from plans available through Fine Woodworking. I kept to the plan mostly, with some minor changes to dimensions and features.

Wood: Curly and Quarter-Sawn Cherry, with Bloodwood and Ebony Accents (interior and drawer sides of Eastern White Pine

Finish: OSMO Poly-X Oil/Wax

Hardware: Brusso Knife Hinges and Ball Catches.The door pulls are ebony Viola tuning pegs which I modified on the lathe to work as pulls.

Features: A nice curve to the front/back/sides of the top give this a nice look. It is quite tall, and the height coupled with the tapered legs give it a somewhat graceful look. Drawers feature hand-cut dovetails. The balance of the joinery was a combination of machine and hand work. The plans are very detailed and having built it, I think its a very doable project.

I chronicled the build in detail on another WW forum (not sure if its ok to mention which one?).

On to the next project!

https://i.postimg.cc/g2x3SFnp/fullsizeoutput-135.jpg (https://postimg.cc/rDLdsH1Z)

Curt Putnam
10-14-2020, 6:35 PM
I know you are proud - and you should be. Primo project! Well Done Sir!

Frederick Skelly
10-14-2020, 6:40 PM
Wow! That's a beauty Phil! I like the style, the color and the finish. It's just beautiful!

Tony Shea
10-15-2020, 8:33 AM
That is incredibly nice!! I love Garrett Hack's work and you really did this piece justice. I would love to see the build chronicle if don't mind sharing where you've posted it.

Also, did you seal the wood with shellac or anything else before adding the Osmo? I've never used Osmo on Cherry but planned to on my most recent project. I was afraid that it might blotch a bit as Cherry is very susceptible but your piece did not at all. The finish looks great.

Again, amazing work!!

Charles Guest
10-15-2020, 9:07 AM
Superb work.

Phil Gaudio
10-15-2020, 9:08 AM
Thanks Tony! The build is described in detail on woodnet (Handtools Forum). I work almost exclusively in cherry. I never seal it or stain it. I have never had a problem with blotching, as I think blotching is in the eye of the beholder. Another man's blotch is what I call character, and I think the more character the better! Phil

That is incredibly nice!! I love Garrett Hack's work and you really did this piece justice. I would love to see the build chronicle if don't mind sharing where you've posted it.

Also, did you seal the wood with shellac or anything else before adding the Osmo? I've never used Osmo on Cherry but planned to on my most recent project. I was afraid that it might blotch a bit as Cherry is very susceptible but your piece did not at all. The finish looks great.

Again, amazing work!!

Bill McDermott
10-15-2020, 11:07 AM
Phil, Ditto on the build compliments. Please accept more compliments on the photography.

Ron Brese
10-15-2020, 12:47 PM
Gorgeous!

Ron

Phil Gaudio
10-15-2020, 4:59 PM
Ron/Bill/Charles: thanks much!

Phil Gaudio
10-15-2020, 5:00 PM
Curt/Fred: thanks a bunch!

mike stenson
10-15-2020, 6:21 PM
Ok, I had to know. I looked at the exif. iPhone wow. Yea, very nice photography.. awesome lighting.

Phil Gaudio
10-15-2020, 7:11 PM
My wife let me use her fairly new iphone: makes anyone look like a pro photographer. I just used a single flood from the side to accent the grain: seemed to work.

Ok, I had to know. I looked at the exif. iPhone wow. Yea, very nice photography.. awesome lighting.

mike stenson
10-15-2020, 7:15 PM
My wife let me use her fairly new iphone: makes anyone look like a pro photographer. I just used a single flood from the side to accent the grain: seemed to work.

Yea, it worked very well. More the lighting than the phone.. but I was pleasantly surprised by the tonal range :)

glenn bradley
10-15-2020, 7:27 PM
Beautifully done. It has a light visual feel, beautiful material and great craftsmanship. I used your picture to try to talk LOML down from the large focal piece she's after for a similar dining room piece. I think I scored points for the lighter look. Thanks!

David Eisenhauer
10-15-2020, 7:49 PM
Just outstanding Phil. Very nice work indeed and I am glad you shared this with us. Details details details! - Beads, subtle curve legs, undercut ends top, pulls, etc. and then the thing seems to glow as it sits there. Thanks.

Phil Gaudio
10-15-2020, 8:42 PM
Thanks much! I will admit that it is fairly short on real storage space: not going to fit complete sets of china or crystal in this piece. But there are times when form trumps function.

Beautifully done. It has a light visual feel, beautiful material and great craftsmanship. I used your picture to try to talk LOML down from the large focal piece she's after for a similar dining room piece. I think I scored points for the lighter look. Thanks!

Phil Gaudio
10-15-2020, 8:44 PM
Thanks David: Garret Hack gets the credit for the overall design: I just tweaked it a little!

Just outstanding Phil. Very nice work indeed and I am glad you shared this with us. Details details details! - Beads, subtle curve legs, undercut ends top, pulls, etc. and then the thing seems to glow as it sits there. Thanks.

Mark Rainey
08-06-2021, 9:40 PM
Congratulations Phil on getting your hunt board into the Fine Woodworking Gallery Oct 2021. Spectacular!

Joe A Faulkner
08-06-2021, 11:11 PM
Excellent results. Truly an inspiring piece of craftsmanship. Well done.

Phil Gaudio
08-07-2021, 8:18 AM
Mark and Joe: thanks much gents! Page 70 of Fine Woodworking beats the cover of the Rolling Stone any day. Phil

Mike Brady
08-07-2021, 6:17 PM
Yup, extremely handsome!

Christopher Charles
08-07-2021, 7:18 PM
Congrats and well deserved!

Lee Schierer
08-07-2021, 9:12 PM
Exceptional work, it will only improve with age. Thanks for sharing.

Phil Gaudio
08-08-2021, 11:02 AM
Mike/Christopher/Lee: Thanks much! Phil

Bill Carey
08-08-2021, 12:56 PM
Phil - an extraordinarily beautiful piece. The vertical grain on the doors was a brilliant decision. Makes me study it, and then all the other great details are discovered. The beading, the pulls matching the grain, the pins, the delicate legs, etc etc. It deserves to be on page 1 not 70. Great work.

Phil Gaudio
08-08-2021, 1:52 PM
Bill: You have a keen eye sir, and exceedingly good taste:). Thanks for the thoughtful comments and kind words. Best, Phil

Phil - an extraordinarily beautiful piece. The vertical grain on the doors was a brilliant decision. Makes me study it, and then all the other great details are discovered. The beading, the pulls matching the grain, the pins, the delicate legs, etc etc. It deserves to be on page 1 not 70. Great work.

Tom M King
08-08-2021, 5:15 PM
I like everything about it!!

Thomas Crawford
08-09-2021, 2:12 PM
looks great, I just bought a back issue with that design so I can do one myself

Mike Hutchison
08-10-2021, 6:20 AM
what they all said
Nice Work

Phil Gaudio
08-10-2021, 10:43 AM
Thanks Gents! Happy to have made page 70: still shooting for the front cover!

Mike O'Keefe
08-10-2021, 12:06 PM
Very Nice!!!!!

Phil Gaudio
08-12-2021, 4:03 PM
Very Nice!!!!!

Thanks Mike: much appreciated! Phil

Jack Frederick
08-14-2021, 1:12 PM
Phil, I just got my 10/21 FWW issue and your piece is featured in The Gallery. It is beautifully done. I am happy that my bronze #9 went to you. At last, it will see good use.

Phil Gaudio
08-15-2021, 9:23 AM
Phil, I just got my 10/21 FWW issue and your piece is featured in The Gallery. It is beautifully done. I am happy that my bronze #9 went to you. At last, it will see good use.

Jack: thanks very much. I assure you, that no. 9 will be put to good use on future projects. Phil

Tom Bender
08-24-2021, 7:12 AM
The tuning pegs are an inspiration. They will be appreciated by all but especially those who recognize them for what they are.

George Yetka
08-24-2021, 7:22 AM
Very Nice. The lighting in this spot really brings out the figure.

Mike Allen1010
08-30-2021, 8:55 PM
One of my very favorite designs well executed! Thanks for sharing!

Phil Gaudio
08-31-2021, 5:50 PM
Thanks much gents: much appreciated!