PDA

View Full Version : Delta DJ20 37-350

John Reeves
10-14-2020, 10:53 AM
I have just gotten a Delta DJ20 37-350 jointer. The chip collection is an issue. Initially, very little would come out of the chip collection port, most if not all would be expelled out of the top as the chips travel around the cutter head and are slung out. I have enclosed the chute (put a top on it) and that helps but not enough. I have noticed a piece under the cutter head on the out feed side that seems to be designed to direct the chips towards the chute. The gap for the chips to go down the chute piece gets clogged easily.
I have attached a picture of the clog for reference.
Does anyone have some experience with this? Your guidance and advise would be appreciated.

glenn bradley
10-14-2020, 1:44 PM
This looks similar to my Grizzly G0490X which is a DJ-20 clone. I also had to enclose the chute (Grizzly now does this for you on current models). What are you using for dust collection? Mine did fine with a little 1HP Delta bagger way back when. I'll see if I can get a shot up the chute like yours.

OK, it looks like my 'slot' is larger than yours. On mine that slot is cut in the sheet metal of the top of the base. If yours is similar I would grab a friend, loosen 4 bolts, lift the machine off, expand the hole and reassemble.

John Reeves
10-14-2020, 2:07 PM
Does yours have a piece of metal that seems to be for keeping the chips from rotating around the cutter head and spitting out the top? That is causing the blockage. You can see just a bit of it my pic. I use a 1.5 HP Delta for dust collection.

glenn bradley
10-14-2020, 2:11 PM
Let me see if I can check. The machine is stored right now but, I should be able to get to it . . .

John Reeves
10-14-2020, 5:58 PM
It may be called a chip breaker.

David Stone (CT)
10-14-2020, 9:15 PM
This probably sounds like a dumb question, and if so, apologies, but just to confirm: The experience you describe is with dust collection hooked up, correct? I ask because I recall noticing the day I got my DJ-20 that it would clog almost immediately without dust collection attached. It's spent the twenty one years since connected to a generic 1-1/2 HP collector via an 8 foot flex hose with a 180 degree bend and done just fine. A small amount of chips does escape onto the tables but the rest ends up in the bag and it never clogs at the cutterhead or in the chute. ...I will look this weekend to see whether the innards appear any different than yours.

glenn bradley
10-14-2020, 9:27 PM
It may be called a chip breaker.

Sorry, had to run an unexpected errand. My cutterhead is an insert head. There is a shroud of sorts around it that appears to be tasked with directing spoil toward the opening.

Christopher Giles
10-15-2020, 9:44 AM
I believe the DJ-20 is intended to be hooked to the dust collector. Even with that, the throat can clog if you feed too quickly, especially with an insert head (like mine). Develop a feel for what it can handle, and try not to exceed. Its a PITA to stop and unclog the throat from down below with a stick.