PDA

View Full Version : Market for used redwood siding?

David Miller
10-13-2020, 7:14 PM
Hello all,

I'm in the process of replacing the redwood siding on my ~60 year old house. The siding is covered in many layers of paint with the base layer having lead content. It was more economical to replace the siding than have someone strip it. I know the redwood market is tight these days so I was wondering if it might have some value. While some of the siding cracked during removal, most of it is still usable if someone wants to deal with the paint.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

lowell holmes
10-13-2020, 7:26 PM
I would try running a board through a thickness planer. You probably will want to sand it first.

Mel Fulks
10-13-2020, 8:00 PM
I would only use a planer that has a high speed ,and I would get all in one pass. Sounds counterintuitive but it's fast
and easier on the knives, which only means you will get the job done with one set of knives instead of two or three sets.

Jamie Buxton
10-13-2020, 9:42 PM
Haven't you answered your own question? You found that dealing with the lead paint made no economic sense. Wouldn't the next guy would come to the same conclusion?

Frank Pratt
10-14-2020, 12:20 AM
Unless you have carbide cutters on the planer, it'll kill the knives before doing even a few boards. And if you do have carbide cutters, what are you going to do to completely and safely contain ALL the toxic dust generated by the operation.

I agree with Jamie, it's a lost cause.

Dave Sabo
10-14-2020, 7:30 AM
Agreed - it’s an economic disaster.

If I were a glutton for punishment I’d set up to resaw the painted side off , leaving the leaded paint intact. This isn’t going to leave you much meat leftover. Especially after it’s cleaned up on the planer.

Lloyd McKinlay
10-14-2020, 1:00 PM
I believe the infrared paint removers are considered safe for lead paint removal. It worked well on the paint buildup on 125 year old window molding.

Patrick Kane
10-14-2020, 2:49 PM
Kinda agree with Jamie, if you cant make sense of it for free, then how is the next guy going to pay something?

Lead paint will kick your sharpened steel in the teeth. Not to mention the hazard of making the stuff airborne.

Jim Becker
10-14-2020, 3:22 PM
The fact that it has lead paint makes it a safety issue to process. I personally wouldn't mill it down.

David Miller
10-14-2020, 8:23 PM
Thanks for all the comments.

The only safe, 'easy' way to remove the lead paint is chemical stripping. It can be mechanically removed but a HEPA vacuum system needs to be involved. It is easier to strip the paint with it off the wall

While I don't have a use for it I figured that there are people who might already have redwood siding and need some extra for repairs or an addition. I did find references to companies that 'reclaim' redwood siding but I haven't contacted any of them yet.