PDA

View Full Version : DW735 Shelix Head Issues

Ken Howell
10-12-2020, 3:28 PM
I've been following this forum for a awhile and I respect the opinions on here so I wanted to throw this out there.

After reading several reviews I decided to upgrade my Dewalt 735 with the Shelix. I was pretty excited about the decision. I ordered it back in July and after 3 months I received it a couple of weeks ago. The first issue I had was the cutter head wasn't fully tapped to accept the gear they you have to screw into it after removing it from the stock head. Shelix mailed me a tap to finish the work myself but wanted me to send them the tap back to them. This past Sunday I got the head installed into the planer only to find that the pulley key that goes into cutter head wasn't fully machined and now the key won't fit into. At this point I'm pretty angry and sent them a nasty gram on Saturday. I regret being so upset but I haven't heard one word from them on this. Not one.

Are my expectations too great? My thought is I shouldn't have to spend $400 and wait 3 months only to get a product that isn't ready to go.

Am I unreasonable?

Thank you

Ken

Brian Tymchak
10-12-2020, 3:51 PM
I've been following this forum for a awhile and I respect the opinions on here so I wanted to throw this out there.

After reading several reviews I decided to upgrade my Dewalt 735 with the Shelix. I was pretty excited about the decision. I ordered it back in July and after 3 months I received it a couple of weeks ago. The first issue I had was the cutter head wasn't fully tapped to accept the gear they you have to screw into it after removing it from the stock head. Shelix mailed me a tap to finish the work myself but wanted me to send them the tap back to them. This past Sunday I got the head installed into the planer only to find that the pulley key that goes into cutter head wasn't fully machined and now the key won't fit into. At this point I'm pretty angry and sent them a nasty gram on Saturday. I regret being so upset but I haven't heard one word from them on this. Not one.

Are my expectations too great? My thought is I shouldn't have to spend $400 and wait 3 months only to get a product that isn't ready to go.

Am I unreasonable?

Thank you

Ken

Unreasonable? No, not at all. I would be demanding a replacement head. You probably didn't do yourself any favors if you really were nasty in your message to them though. I've never liked communicating with customer service via anything other than on the phone. I would be calling them. You might try a little mea culpa to help you get somewhere with them, at least until you get a new head.

...It seems odd that Dewalt doesn't offer the 735 with an optional helical head. This upgrade has become very popular.

Ken Howell
10-12-2020, 4:18 PM
Hi Brian,

Thanks for responding. Here's my email to them Saturday:

"Well I got the cutter head tapped to accept the gear and got it into the planer and now the pulley key doesn’t fit into shaft. This is a load of crap!!! I spend $400 dollars, wait 3 months and this is what I get? This is what Made In America means? The groove in the shaft isn’t cut big enough to accept the key. Now I’m either going to have to grind out the cutter head to take the key or grind the key to fit it. That’s going to make a loose fit.

I am so sorry that I trusted the reviews that said this was a quality product.

This isn’t over!"

I was hoping for any response from them.

Ken

Andrew Pitonyak
10-12-2020, 4:58 PM
I generally try to do the following when I write a similar letter.

First, state the problem.

Second, state how you would like the problem resolved.

I attempt to do this with as little commentary as possible, mostly facts.

You do state the problem, but, you do not state how you would like it resolved. Do you want your money back? Return the product? A replacement? etc....

And no, you are not being unreasonable.

Ken Howell
10-12-2020, 5:16 PM
Hi Andrew,

Thank you responding. You make a very good point in that I did not state how I would like this resolved. I went to their site and it states a lifetime guarantee. I will go that route.

Thank you,

Ken

David Utterback
10-12-2020, 6:17 PM
I had problems with one of their heads over a year ago. They made it right by sending a replacement. IIRC, there was only one staff member who made the calls on defects. He was out on leave when I first sought help and it took a while to get the decision. Maybe a little patience will pay off after another day or two. Good luck

Andrew Hughes
10-12-2020, 6:45 PM
I recommend you send it back and get your money refunded.
Then buy a set of infinity carbide tipped knives. I had a 735 with carbide knives and it cut perfectly Ebony curly maple everything came out fine and flat. Much better surface then my Pm 15 with a bryd head.

jamil mehdi
10-12-2020, 7:05 PM
Shelix is a good company. They retrofit existing planers and they do it well. It sounds like you got something you shouldn't have, but I don't know that berating the person you're relying on to solve the issue was the right move.

I bought a shelix head for a 735 a while ago and it's been great. Probably saved $300 so far in knives. If I were you, I would send them another email apologizing for my tone and ask what the next step is. Chances are, if you sent it back to them, they would replace it quickly with a head that's fine.

Try understanding that sometimes manufacturing has hiccups. No one likes it, but it's not the end of the world. Shelix will do what's right... Unless you're a dick

Ken Howell
10-20-2020, 8:55 AM
So here is where I'm at. I took the advice on this board and apologized to Byrd for my harsh tone. I told them I wasn't comfortable trying to drill out the slot to get the key to fit in. They sent me a Return Label and I shipped it to them. I just got this email from them this morning:

"I'm not sure if you're aware but generally those keys will need to be tapped into place on a new head. I can have the shipping department send this back out today but you will be required to pay for the shipping as there wasn't anything wrong with the cutter on our behalf."

I have watched a lot of videos on the installation of these heads and not once did I ever see or hear anyone saying you had to tap the key into the new head. Byrd didn't even say this to me before I shipped the cutter head back to them.
This is not right in my mind.

Brian Tymchak
10-20-2020, 10:41 AM
I have watched a lot of videos on the installation of these heads and not once did I ever see or hear anyone saying you had to tap the key into the new head. Byrd didn't even say this to me before I shipped the cutter head back to them.
This is not right in my mind.

What do the installation instructions say about installing the key?

Ken Howell
10-20-2020, 2:53 PM
Nothing. Actually the instructions in the box say to watch a video. The video doesn't mention having to tap the key in. I've never had to tap the key in anything I've installed that required a key.

Frank Pratt
10-20-2020, 5:22 PM
I have, on occasion, had to tap in a key, but it's always been pretty obvious that it was going to go in. As in, it was just a little tight. I'd have another polite argument with them.

Ken Howell
10-20-2020, 5:27 PM
I did have a polite argument with them but they weren't budging. Byrd said it was common knowledge the keys had to be tapped in although they didn't mention that when I told him the issue and it wasn't in the videos they point to for installation. They weren't going to send me back my cutter head unless I paid for the shipping back to me.

Lesson learned I guess. Byrd doesn't stand by their product. Avoid them at all costs. There are other heads out there.

Alex Zeller
10-20-2020, 6:01 PM
Did you pay with a credit card? If so dispute payment. I usually take time before writing an email when mad. But never the less a good company will accept when customers are mad and overlook things like this. As for directions, if they don't say that you may need to use a hammer to install the key then that's on them. Sounds like they are trying to be deceitful. If they don't say it could be needed and a customer just assumes it's ok and damages it would they say "We never said to use a hammer to install it"? After all this is something machined to very tight tolerances. I would expect that Byrd would understand that not all of their customers are not machinists who would know the difference between too small and press fit.

Richard Coers
10-20-2020, 6:43 PM
What do you mean they don't stand behind their product? There is nothing wrong with it, except for that shallow taped hole, and it doesn't sound like you are experienced in machinery repair. I was just getting ready to ask how undersized the keyway was, because you often have to tap it in so it won't slide out of the slot when you slide on the gear. Something I learned very early repairing farm machinery.

Ronald Blue
10-20-2020, 10:15 PM
What do you mean they don't stand behind their product? There is nothing wrong with it, except for that shallow taped hole, and it doesn't sound like you are experienced in machinery repair. I was just getting ready to ask how undersized the keyway was, because you often have to tap it in so it won't slide out of the slot when you slide on the gear. Something I learned very early repairing farm machinery.

Your missing the point. Everyone isn't an expert. THEY know their product better than any layman ever could. Why would they #1 not mention it in their video and definitely in the phone conversation? I know keys can and should fit snuggly. If I were giving someone guidance over the phone I would mention this. They already messed up by poor quality control with the hole not tapped deep enough. Who's to say they didn't "fix" the problem and tell him it was his error. Not seeing the method used to cut the keyway it's possible that the finish pass wasn't made and it was undersized. This has to be a small key. Something in the 1/8" to 3/16" range. If it's cut with an end mill it wouldn't be cut in one pass. To much deflection. They've lost credibility here. They should do the right thing and ship it back. Other wise he should request a refund. Grizzly sells a replacement insert head so he has options.

Larry Frank
10-21-2020, 7:15 AM
This is a bit strange. Why didn't they suggest that you needed to tap the key in place when you talked to them.

This situation will make me think twice before buying one of their heads.

Ken Howell
10-21-2020, 11:16 AM

Why should I have to repair a $400 dollar brand new head? My expectation is that is should be ready to go out of the box. Why should I have to re-tap the threads to screw in the gear? If I had to tap in the key to get it to fit why not mention that to me BEFORE I sent it in to them?

Ken Howell
10-21-2020, 11:17 AM
Did you pay with a credit card? If so dispute payment. I usually take time before writing an email when mad. But never the less a good company will accept when customers are mad and overlook things like this. As for directions, if they don't say that you may need to use a hammer to install the key then that's on them. Sounds like they are trying to be deceitful. If they don't say it could be needed and a customer just assumes it's ok and damages it would they say "We never said to use a hammer to install it"? After all this is something machined to very tight tolerances. I would expect that Byrd would understand that not all of their customers are not machinists who would know the difference between too small and press fit.

I bought it through MYwoodcutter.com. They directed me to Byrd for all issues.

Robert Mayer
10-21-2020, 11:44 AM
I am a bit surprised they would fight you over shipping. That would cost them like $10. Especially considering they messed up the threads originally.

Ken Howell
10-21-2020, 11:49 AM
I am a bit surprised they would fight you over shipping. That would cost them like $10. Especially considering they messed up the threads originally.

Here's the kicker. I called them yesterday morning and gave them my credit card to ship to me. I just called them and she said they haven't gotten around to send it back to me yet. She said maybe they can today.

Richard Coers
10-21-2020, 2:24 PM
Your missing the point. Everyone isn't an expert. THEY know their product better than any layman ever could. Why would they #1 not mention it in their video and definitely in the phone conversation? I know keys can and should fit snuggly. If I were giving someone guidance over the phone I would mention this. They already messed up by poor quality control with the hole not tapped deep enough. Who's to say they didn't "fix" the problem and tell him it was his error. Not seeing the method used to cut the keyway it's possible that the finish pass wasn't made and it was undersized. This has to be a small key. Something in the 1/8" to 3/16" range. If it's cut with an end mill it wouldn't be cut in one pass. To much deflection. They've lost credibility here. They should do the right thing and ship it back. Other wise he should request a refund. Grizzly sells a replacement insert head so he has options.
You missed my point. Not everyone should attempt machine repair or expect to be lead by the hand for every single minute detail. The OP was in over his head, and instead of asking about it on here he sends it back and now blames the manufacturer for poor service because of his lack of experience. You don't have to tell me to tap in the key, and I can't be the only person in America that knows that. What's wrong with spending $25 in shipping to learn a lesson? With no experience do you attempt to replace a timing belt on your car? When you buy the belt does the auto parts store tell you every single detail on how to replace it?

Ken Howell
10-21-2020, 2:32 PM
You missed my point. Not everyone should attempt machine repair or expect to be lead by the hand for every single minute detail. You don't have to tell me to tap in the key, and I can't be the only person in America that knows that. What's wrong with spending $25 in shipping to learn a lesson? Does the OP attempt to replace a timing belt on his car? When he buys the belt does the auto parts store tell him every single detail on how to replace it?

What lesson? If I didn't know how to do something I read the INSTRUCTIONS. The instruction said to watch the video. The video did not say " Your brand new $400 cutter head may not be machined correctly and you will have to fix it". There are instructions in a manual for the car that show how to change a timing belt. Why are you such an apologist for poor workmanship?

Ronald Blue
10-21-2020, 4:17 PM
You missed my point. Not everyone should attempt machine repair or expect to be lead by the hand for every single minute detail. The OP was in over his head, and instead of asking about it on here he sends it back and now blames the manufacturer for poor service because of his lack of experience. You don't have to tell me to tap in the key, and I can't be the only person in America that knows that. What's wrong with spending $25 in shipping to learn a lesson? With no experience do you attempt to replace a timing belt on your car? When you buy the belt does the auto parts store tell you every single detail on how to replace it?
Again you're missing the point. They are selling this as an upgrade the end user can do. They shouldn't market as such if they aren't willing to offer technical assistance. If they didn't tap the hole who's to say they machined the keyway to finish size. I watched their tutorial video. They insert the key with their fingers. Kind of gives weight to the OP's complaint. The tech says keep the shaft turned up so it won't fall out. So this must be the 1 in 1000 that the key fit tight on. Or maybe it was an undersized keyway. It's definitely machined with an end mill. I didn't see it before he returned it obviously but it definitely didn't fit as they represented it in their instructional video. To me the lesson here is to be wary of doing business with them going forward if this is how they choose to do business. I think the OP has learned that unfortunately.

Frank Pratt
10-21-2020, 9:30 PM
I watched their tutorial video. They insert the key with their fingers. Kind of gives weight to the OP's complaint. The tech says keep the shaft turned up so it won't fall out.

Well, here's the definitive answer. OP should relay this to them. They really have no defense at all in this case. As a matter of principle, I'd dig my heels in on this one. They clearly are in the wrong.

Personally, I think there is a personality clash going on here, with the OP sending a snot-o-gram rather than more gentle communications. It sound like the customer service rep has their back up now.

Jerry Bruette
10-21-2020, 10:04 PM
Why did the OP agree to tap the hole that was wrong? Should've sent it back instead and avoided this whole thread.

Ronald Blue
10-21-2020, 11:34 PM
Why did the OP agree to tap the hole that was wrong? Should've sent it back instead and avoided this whole thread.

Probably because he waited 3 months for this one. If an exchange were possible I'm sure he would have done that.

John Goodin
10-21-2020, 11:36 PM
I have always believed that great customer service is great advertising and vice versa. If they had just replaced it and paid the shipping nearly 1000 woodworkers would be reading a thread about how it is a great company that stands behind their product.

Alex Zeller
10-22-2020, 7:00 AM
My guess is that Byrd is swamped due to the virus filling orders like every other company. It sounds like the quality is dropping a bit as they try to get caught up. It could be an increased demand from people who are spending more time at home and/ or a reduced staff making them. Then they have to deal with customers who got a defective product and are mad.

But they have nobody to blame but themselves. Asking a machinist to finish tapping threads in a hole is no big deal. As someone who has tapped a lot of holes I know how easy it is for someone with not a lot of experience to break a tap off. But that's just the beginning. To demand that the customer return the tap, a tool that couldn't cost more than $20 (most likely half that), is a pure stupidity. Nothing like saying "We are so cheap that we can't afford to give a customer a used tap". Hopefully they at least included a prepaid envelope for the tap (which would of cost close to the price of the tap).

I find that most woodworkers aren't people who work with metal. There's some crossover but most don't own things like welders or mills. Imagine if you sent a customer who doesn't work with wood something made out of wood only to get a call from that customer saying that the finish was rough. Would you tell the customer that you would send them a sheet of sandpaper and a rubber block (that you wanted returned) to finish sanding it? If the customer called back and said I've followed your video and I can't get the tenon to fit into the mortise the way you describe in your video. Your credibility is already shot with this customer for making them finish the work you should have done. Would you tell the customer that they just didn't use enough force and that the customer needed to pay? There's a reason why most things that need to get assembled come with large very clear directions on how to assemble them. They also come with bold print saying not to return it, instead call this number if you have problems. What seams very clear to one person may not to another.

Ken Howell
10-22-2020, 8:38 AM
Hi Alex,

No they didn't include a prepaid envelope. I asked how was I supposed to return it to them and they said just drop it in mail.

And they still haven't shipped my cutter head back to me! They received my head last Friday, decided they weren't going to do anything, told me I had to pay to get it back, I gave them my credit card number Tuesday morning and here it is Thursday and they still haven't shipped it.

Does anyone want to defend this company?

Frank Pratt
10-22-2020, 10:41 AM
I was gobsmacked when I read that they wanted you to send the tap back, but to expect you to pay the return shipping is just goofy. My opinion of this company has really tanked.

Maybe they're holding your head until the get their tap back :confused:

Ken Howell
10-22-2020, 10:53 AM
I was gobsmacked when I read that they wanted you to send the tap back, but to expect you to pay the return shipping is just goofy. My opinion of this company has really tanked.

Maybe they're holding your head until the get their tap back :confused:

I just got an email from them that they're finally shipping me back the cutterhead. They're charging me for shipping it back but also charged me for shipping it to them.

Never ever will I buy anything from them again.

Dick Mahany
10-22-2020, 11:16 AM
Glad I saw this thread. I was just about to order a cutter head. Now no way. Plan B.... I'll stick with the OEM setup and be happy.

Robert Hayward
10-22-2020, 3:52 PM
I wish I could hear the Byrd side of this story.

Ken Howell
10-22-2020, 3:56 PM

I posted their email to me.

Frank Pratt
10-22-2020, 4:05 PM

I do too. Things look pretty cut & dried from the OP's point of view. Does anyone know a contact at Byrd who could come on here to offer their defense in this case. They are not looking very good based on the info presented. I too have been considering a Byrd head, but as it stands now, I don't think I'd consider buying from them.

Ken Howell
10-22-2020, 4:23 PM
I do too. Things look pretty cut & dried from the OP's point of view. Does anyone know a contact at Byrd who could come on here to offer their defense in this case. They are not looking very good based on the info presented. I too have been considering a Byrd head, but as it stands now, I don't think I'd consider buying from them.

I posted the email about the key in that they said it needed to be tapped in. They didn't mention that in my contact with them nor did it say anything about that in the video they say to watch about installation. Here is first email from them about the gear not threading through:

"The mywood guys forwarded me your email, and I see that you've got an issue with the helical gear not threading all the way properly. First thing that I suggest is removing the gear and making sure no debri is lodged within the threads in the hole. (I use wd-40 or some other liquid lubricant to thoroughly flush the hole out) also check to make sure that the helical gear threads aren't damaged or dirty. If you are still having troubles after trying those things the threads in the hole may need to be re-traced with a tap M8x1.25 RH (If you do not have one we can provide one to use and then simply return afterwards) Apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused."

Hmm. Maybe I am in the wrong.

Frank Pratt
10-22-2020, 6:40 PM
Their handling of the tapped holes was fine, apart from expecting you to pay shipping for the tap (not fine at all, a boneheaded move). Where you really have a case is with the key that their own video shows and tells is a loose fit.

Ken Howell
10-23-2020, 10:50 AM
I agree and really I would have been fine about the key if they had said before I shipped them the cutter head that I needed to tap the key into the hole. The videos did show it should be loose. What got me is they assumed I should know and wanted me to pay for the shipping to them and back to me. That's where they lost me.

Robert Mayer
10-23-2020, 3:22 PM
I deal with high end tools for construction all the time and it is not infrequent for me to drive an hour to fix something that the customer should have been able to figure out. I NEVER charge them for this. Its just a plan of mine to ensure that I have their business for life. Whether or not he should have known to tap the key in is irrelevant. Byrd should have just paid the dang $10 shipping with a kind note about it.

Richard Coers
10-23-2020, 5:52 PM
Now it looks like you will have to worry about the thermal breaker on your 735 after you get the head finally installed, based on the other post running right now. That sure would be disappointing!