PDA

View Full Version : Dawn Redwood box

Michael Stafford
01-01-2006, 5:28 PM
I have no idea what the difference between Dawn Redwood and regular redwood is.... Dave Smith will have to answer the question. A while back he sent me a nice piece of wood that was labeled Dawn Redwood. I had it sitting in my box of stuff that was promising as box stock and finally decided to turn it. It turned somewhat better than any redwood I have previously turned and had no tear out or splintering problems. The finished box is 2 1/4" in diameter and 3" tall.

Thanks Dave!:D

Jim Becker
01-01-2006, 5:52 PM
Mike, very nice. I really like boxes with that slight concave radius in the side profile. It just plain "does something" to them that I love!

Jim Ketron
01-01-2006, 5:57 PM
Another winner Mr. Box Master!:D
I like Jim love the shape of this one!
Great job as usual!

Dave Smith
01-01-2006, 6:45 PM
Dawn redwood was thought to be extinct. There are fossil records in North America of the tree up to 10,000 years ago. The tree was discovered growing in a remote valley of China in the 1940's. It has been extensively planted as an ornamental yard tree in the US and Canada. This particular tree was growing in front of what is now my shop. Dawn redwood drops its needles in the fall. Quite a shock for me when we first moved into this house. I thought I had killed the tree.

The wood is very soft and I have had a heck of a time trying to turn bowls from the trunk. I resorted to soaking roughed out bowls in thinned lacquer which helps. The piece I sent you is heart wood that is a little harder than sap wood. You did a nice job with the soft wood. I'll bet it weighs next to nothing.

Dave Smith

Full of a lot of useless information in Longview, WA.

Corey Hallagan
01-01-2006, 8:04 PM
Another very cool box Mike! It;s a beauty!

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
01-01-2006, 8:14 PM
You continue to amaze me with your beautiful boxes Mike. Great job.

Ernie

Dick Parr
01-01-2006, 8:21 PM
That is another great one Mike. Wonderful job.;)

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2006, 9:01 PM
Great box Mike. It is beautiful.

Keith Burns
01-01-2006, 9:05 PM
Golly, Big Mike, can't you make a bad one now and then? :eek: :D It's a stupendous one for sure ! Love the form and detail at the joint.:) :)

Frank Chaffee
01-01-2006, 9:57 PM
Michael,
Very nice indeed.
Frank

John Hart
01-01-2006, 10:29 PM
It really doesn't look like any kind of redwood that I've seen. But then Dave just explained why. The shape of this one is very attractive Mike. The whole piece...perfect as always.:) :)

Wes Bischel
01-01-2006, 11:48 PM
Great job on the box Mike - the grain is beautiful.
As an aside, we planted a dawn redwood in front of our house about six years ago. The neighbor had a good laugh at our new tree since the tree was only four feet tall and as thick as my pinky. It's now taller than the house (20+ feet) and has a really nice shape. This summer he came over to ask what kind of tree it was - his wife would like to plant one in the back yard:eek: :D .

Wes

Robert Watsek
01-02-2006, 12:20 AM
Very nice Michael, If you dont beat all.......... just give you a piece of wood and you will come up with another beautiful box ;)

Bob