PDA

View Full Version : Old Chisel's Home?

steven c newman
10-11-2020, 12:46 PM
Maybe in the same line as The Old Folks' Home? Anyway, have a Rogue's Gallery of chisels...
Nothing "Premium" of course, but they do deserve better than just rolling around in a dusty drawer, somewhere. I did have a bit of Leftover Poplar, that also needed to be put to some sort of good use..
And this was after they were ripped for width, and crosscut.....edges were jointed with a Millers Falls No. 11 Junior Jack...so they are matched each other...but...
I had just cleaned the bench off, and stashed almost all the hand tools in the Tool Box...
From this..
To this..
Which means I need to open the Tool Box back up, shop for items I'll need, and then exit before the doors slam shut..again...

Need to make up a "Shopping List"......:rolleyes:

Stay tuned...:D

steven c newman
10-11-2020, 1:29 PM
Ok...Shopping Trip....Have to remember to prop the one door open....or, it will slam shut...So, I started at the Right hand door..
Figured I'd need a mallet, to do any chopping..turn a bit to the left.
Would need a couple gauges, to mark things up....the red rack?
Well there are a couple small squares in here, and a marking (Kobalt) knife....will need the Stanley 45 later ( maybe Sunday?) Which leaves..a saw or two...turn to the Left hand door...
Hmm, might need the Hartley Coping saw later..but..
I think I'll need that No. 68 saw first....laid things out on the bench....may not be a "Shopping Cart", but, will just have to do..
Most of these will get slid over, and into the tool well...before they decided to simply roll off onto the floor...also wanted a work light...
Clipped to the backside of the bandsaw...can swing it around to help the bandsaw cuts, too...
And, since I like to sit down on the job, when I do most Joinery...
I cleaned off the Shop Stool, and got it ready, too.

Next up? Making some sawdust, of course....
Stay tuned..:D

steven c newman
10-11-2020, 6:44 PM
So...first a marking gauge..
Set to the thickness of the end pieces...then darken the lines so I can see them
Then stand the board up in the vise, and start marking out Pins...
Using the bevel gauge. Starting with half pins on the edges, and work towards the middle..
Then a combo square, set to the thickness needed, marks out lines to saw to...can be split the line, miss to either side of the line, whatever.....just something to help guide the cut...do both faces. Then drop the piece down in the vise...too high leads to too much vibration in the saw cut...
Just don't cut into my vise...
Set up a chopping block, get a selection of chisels handy...and chop just half way down...do the show face first
Then flip over, and finish the pins..
Be sure to clean out any small nubs inside....you need this nice and clean for the next step..

steven c newman
10-11-2020, 6:58 PM
I sometimes use a coping saw, to clean out around the pins and tails...use it like a rasp...
Mr. Hartley. aka Disston-HK Porter, No. 10B

Ok, next, stand the cleaned pin board straight up. Set it onto the tail board, taking care that the pins are facing the correct way ( narrow part goes out..) Use a sharp pencil, and trace around each pin..
Parts are marked as to "INSIDE"...then I use the bandsaw, to make a bunch of cuts ( because I suck at handsawing a angled cut, straight down I'm fine, this way I can see and control where the saw cut goes)
Easier to get the waste out, too. As with the pins ( knife wall is used in both) chop the show side first..
Then flip over to complete the chops....this way prevents any "blowouts" on the side that shows...
I also number each corner, on both parts....that way a #3 tail board doesn't get stuck in the #1 pin board....
Then, try a dry fit...
Then just repeat all the above three more times...
The more line you leave, the tighter the fit....the loose one? I wound up splitting the lines...last cuts of the day thing...
Next up? Groovy,man....
Stay tuned..

Andrew Pitonyak
10-11-2020, 7:03 PM
OK Steve, you just keep going and going and going. I really need to come out and take another look at your shop. Think that I need to get some Mexican food while I am there! :-)

Everything looks good. I am impressed.

steven c newman
10-11-2020, 11:35 PM
Welcome any time.
Then there was this..
I needed to get to the bottom case...had to stash the other out of the way...
So I could set the other box on the bench..
And, opened the lid...
Oooh-kay, some assemble required...
Lots of parts...
with some left over..
As I needed it to make a few grooves...or..noodles..
To be continued....stay tuned..

steven c newman
10-12-2020, 8:57 AM
To hold the side of the box still long enough to plough the grooves....I need a jig, of some sort....
Just a bit of scrap across the back, a screw into the opening at each end...this way, the screws are not going to get hit, and I can adjust them to the lengths of the parts...
Then once one edge is done, rotate around, and do the other edge..gets to be rather fun..
I soon had the 2 ends of the box done, and set aside..
So, I had to adjust the jig a bit, for the longer sides...
And, all too soon, the fun ended, as the sides now had their grooves done, too...
One groove to hold a bottom panel, the other to hold a top panel
Checked to make sure they all matched..
So, now I need to mark a bit of plywood, and cut 2 panels the same size..

Stay tuned...I have to sweep up all the crunchy things on the floor...distracting when I walk on them..

steven c newman
10-12-2020, 9:15 AM
Took almost as long for the next job of the day...had to mark out where to cut some plywood panels..
Who says you can't use a framing square in the shop?
Then make all the cuts at the bandsaw....
Hand plane to smooth the edges a bit....then slide these two into the assembled box...
Hmmm..there was a problem... length was correct, but..
They were a tad too wide...back into the vise, both of them...Junior Jack to plane a bit off the top..
Might as well make sure they are the same....Then, time to see how much of a lid I need....
Then mark all the parts as to "top" or bottom...
And, get ready to glue this up.....
Will remove the clamps, later..this being a Monday, and all....The decide on how to saw the lid off...too tall to fit through the bandsaw, this time..

John Stankus
10-12-2020, 5:26 PM
OK Steve, you just keep going and going and going. I really need to come out and take another look at your shop. Think that I need to get some Mexican food while I am there! :-)

Everything looks good. I am impressed.

I always have figured that Steve is two miles from the peak of Ohio, because that he stacks all the tools he buys at these sales two miles away from him. I just visualize the highest point in Ohio is Steve's pile o'tools :)

I will refrain from commenting on Mexican food up North :)

steven c newman
10-12-2020, 6:28 PM
Clamps came off today....Monday or no Monday.....Sides were cleaned up. Sides were planed smooth with a Stanley No. 4, Type 10.....square holes were filled with square pegs....and I thought I was done....

Nope....Decided to re-arrange that Bishop No. 10....flip the blade over to use the fine teeth, set the bar about in the middle of the blade..
The marking gauge and the combo square, to mark out the cut line, all the way around the box....candle is to lube the saw plate....the knife will be used in just a bit...then my Cardio Workout began..
I started on the narrow ends, first...make a starter cut on the corners, then all the way across to fill in between...go to the other end, and repeat...then the longer sides..
But, this time, leave a little bit down in the kerf, to keep this side from closing up...flip over and saw the other side....now the utility knife....slice through the remaining bit of kerf..
Open the lid..
And dump out the pile of sawdust....Close the lid back up, see IF it rocks any....then clamp the lid and the box to the bench...
level the edges, and remove the saw marks..check again for the fit..
And THAT was it, for today....nice little Cardio Workout...

Andrew Pitonyak
10-12-2020, 6:43 PM
I always have figured that Steve is two miles from the peak of Ohio, because that he stacks all the tools he buys at these sales two miles away from him. I just visualize the highest point in Ohio is Steve's pile o'tools :)

I will refrain from commenting on Mexican food up North :)

I'm pretty sure that Steve's pile of tools is what defines the peak of Ohio... Makes his house easy to find.

As for Ohio Mexican food, I've had Mexican food I've enjoyed that is surely not authentic as well as Mexican food I've enjoyed that is rather authentic... Sometimes you just take what you can get.

Of course my first time eating Mexican food and texas, I had never heard of okra and I thought that fried okra was fried jalapenos and I thought you textings are really really tough for that spicy stuff... My wife mentions that Texans are tough by the way. I also found out that day that I really enjoyed fried okra.

steven c newman
10-13-2020, 9:16 PM
Both dine-in places here in town now have their Dine-in open, again....you can actually go in and sit down to eat....

Shoulders were sore from sawing the lid off..
Monday....so I thought about taking today off....yeah....right....went to the shop, mainly to haul the trash can load of scraps and shavings to the firepit...

Thought I could just sort through the hardware box...and see what would look good on the Chisel Box.....wouldn't you know...first some hinges appeared
Ooookay....might as well see about a latch..
Then, I thought maybe some handles? Only ones I had...and they were to be NAILED on? Ah....nope..
Screws seem to hold better...then decided to see HOW the chisels would fit.....wound up cutting, fitting and gluing in a few dividers...and even gained a chisel spot...

I figured 8 was enough...
Maybe tomorrow, I can add a coat of stain...and maybe a top coat after that has dried...

Andrew Pitonyak
10-13-2020, 10:28 PM
I like the layout. I did not alternate them in any of the cases I built for them.

Had not considered cutting the box apart by hand; I did it on the table saw, but that always bothers me just a little. If I could convince myself to build another, they would be nicer than what I have now, but what I have now works so I just keep using them.

I like your final product, looking forward to seeing it with a finish. My early chisel boxes are not finished, my later one (or is it two) are finished.

steven c newman
10-14-2020, 12:10 PM
Now, more fun....would like the top edge of the lid to be rounded over....outside would be easy, with just a block plane...

It is getting the inside to round over.....and meet in the corners.....

Then maybe a coat of stain wiped on/wiped off.....allow to dry....then a top coat of clear gloss varnish....

Might take a day or two....

steven c newman
10-14-2020, 6:22 PM
Roh-kay....Think I figured out round-overs....block plane for around the outside of the box...keep making passes, while tilting the plane over...
More on that gouge in a moment...
As for the inside edges...that gouge was used...
Started low, then rolled it up towards the top ....wasn't too bad....had to keep an eye on grain direction....and, do NOT get in a hurry....the "other" chisel?
i used it to get into the corners a little better...
And, finally, sand off the milling marks....

Next, a way to stop the chisels from bouncing around....decided to "pad" the lid a bit....
Look closely, there is a "bar" down the center under the padding...this will rest right over the bolsters on the chisels. I then added strips on the ends, on top of the padding....both to keep the edges in place, and restrain the handles just a bit...then, used a church-key to open a can of stain....
The dividers also got a coating...then the outsides...
and..maybe a PIP is in order?

steven c newman
10-14-2020, 6:26 PM
Front view?
handle view?
And the lid's top?
After a good wipe down, the "red" colour kind of backed off a bit....as for the round-overs?
Will let things dry overnight..and then see about a top coat...
Stay tuned..

Stew Denton
10-14-2020, 11:07 PM
Steven,

I like the design of having the blades vertical in the case instead of horizontal. It saves a lot of space that way. I have never seen one that way. Very good design.

Stew

steven c newman
11-01-2020, 3:40 PM
Wondering IF I should build one for the Mortise chisels I have.....may need a slightly bigger box?

1/2" poplar? Or...something else? Finger/box joints at the corners? Hmmm....

Andrew Pitonyak
11-02-2020, 2:58 PM
Steven,

I like the design of having the blades vertical in the case instead of horizontal. It saves a lot of space that way. I have never seen one that way. Very good design.

Stew

That was my first thought as well. I have been toying with rebuilding one of my "chisel boxes", I will probably use this configuration if i do.

Really surprised on the color difference. I prefer the final color.