PDA

View Full Version : Duck Call

David Fried
01-01-2006, 3:56 PM
My first duck call, in Claro Walnut, a Christmas present for my former FIL. Just like turning a pen, only bigger. :rolleyes:
Big enough that you can only fit one piece on the mandrel at a time. The bushings for the long section are a couple of nylon bushings sandwiched between washers so they will expand when you tighten things down. The bushing for the smaller piece was an inch of rubber hose with washers. :eek:Of course, this means you need to totally finish turning a piece before removing it since you can't every get it realigned.(Trust me, I know!) The directions from Hut do mention this but I didn't read that section. (It's a guy thing.) Still, managed to pull it off in time for Christmas.

I still have a second one to turn for my ex's new husband and my FFIL has requested a goose call. These things are as addictive as pens!:p

I rushed the finish on this one so I expect to have to refinish it. (Everyone was warned.) It was 48 degrees when I started finishing it but the temperature fell to 40 before I was done and the result is a little cloudy.

For the next one I'll make a wooden mandrel I can hold in the chuck rather than use the pen mandrel so that I can have access to the ends. For finishing I'll try cooking it in Bob Smalser's boat soap and followed by John Harts's secret finish.

Thanks for looking.

Dave Fried

Jerry Clark
01-01-2006, 4:01 PM
Great duck call-- nice shape and finish. Made a couple myself and they are fun. :D

Keith Burns
01-01-2006, 4:01 PM
Very nice piece !:) :) :)

David Fried
01-01-2006, 4:03 PM
Great duck call-- nice shape and finish. Made a couple myself and they are fun. :D

Yup! When I was done I tried blowing it. Sounded like New Years Eve - toot - toot. Gave it to my FFIL and suddenly there was a herd of ducks in the room. Seems using them takes as much skill as making them!

Dave Fried

Richard Stewart
01-01-2006, 4:03 PM
I want to make one of those, how do u make it, does it really work? or did u find the peices urself, or is it a kit, plz tell me cause that seems COOLIO-DADDIO:cool:

Andy Hoyt
01-01-2006, 4:41 PM
David - I'm intrigued by the mental image generated by giving these to former and future fathers-in-law. Are they both doctors?

David Fried
01-01-2006, 6:32 PM
David - I'm intrigued by the mental image generated by giving these to former and future fathers-in-law. Are they both doctors?

Just one and he's my former. Not a doctor, head of the National Fisheries Program for the USDA Forest Service and a nice guy :D.

David Fried
01-01-2006, 6:38 PM
I want to make one of those, how do u make it, does it really work? or did u find the peices urself, or is it a kit, plz tell me cause that seems COOLIO-DADDIO:cool:

Richard,

Having never made one, I purchased the bushings, blank, and reed/holder from Hut Products. You certainly could provide your own blank, there's nothing magic about it, but since it was a gift I wanted something nicer than I had around. :D There is a book, "Turning Custom Duck and Game Calls", that shows, among other things, how to turn your own mandrel. I'm going to give it a try. Give it a try!!!

Dave Fried

Corey Hallagan
01-01-2006, 8:08 PM
David, that is very kewl! Eventually I would like to make a call for my son who is a hunter when I get more experience. He isn't a duck hunter though, what other calls does the book address or any retailers?

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
01-01-2006, 8:19 PM
That's a nice call David.

Ernie

Dick Parr
01-01-2006, 8:22 PM
Very nice David. That's a great looking first you have there, nice job.

David Fried
01-01-2006, 8:33 PM
David, that is very kewl! Eventually I would like to make a call for my son who is a hunter when I get more experience. He isn't a duck hunter though, what other calls does the book address or any retailers?

Corey
By using different reed you can make: Coyote Howler,Cottontail,Squirrel,Jack Rabbit,Speckled Belly Goose, or Canada Goose Calls. The Deer Grunt Call is a little different.

I'm trying the Canada Goose next.

The book also has a chapter on Turkey calls, the round kind with the slate. (Harry Thornton had a thread on these). There are probably others available - since I don't hunt I really don't know much. Hope that helps.

Dave Fried

Corey Hallagan
01-01-2006, 8:36 PM
He is definitely a Deer and Turkey hunter. It would be more of a keepsake than anything, he is pretty much a natural turkey caller with his mouth and nothing else. Pretty amazing.... I think!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2006, 8:56 PM
Beautiful call David. Well done.

Curt Fuller
01-01-2006, 10:04 PM
Nice duck call. Duck calls are what got me into turning originally. In my experience, the metal reeds (both single and double) that you can order from Hut or Craft Supplies are better than the plastic. They just sound duckier. No end to the combinations of woods that look good. Add a brass ring too.

John Hart
01-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Very Classy!!! Seems like that would be a nice piece to just have laying around even if you didn't hunt. Nice work! The finish seems finished from here! ;) :)

David Fried
01-01-2006, 11:01 PM
In my experience, the metal reeds (both single and double) that you can order from Hut or Craft Supplies are better than the plastic. They just sound duckier. No end to the combinations of woods that look good. Add a brass ring too.

Curt,

Thanks for the complement and the advice because what I lack is experience. My hunting was limited to shiny objects (toasters, bottles, etc.). I saw the metal reeds and wondered about them. Actually, I wasn't even sure if the tone board was metal or the reed. Thanks for clarifying that. I'll give them a try. He seems to prefer the single reed to the double and both of them seem to feel the brass ring denotes a superior call. OK - now I know what to order!

Very Classy!!! Seems like that would be a nice piece to just have laying around even if you didn't hunt. Nice work! The finish seems finished from here! ;) :)

John,

Since it will be used in salt marshes I'm not confident. I assured him if looks poor after this season I would take it back to the shop and make it better. I think the boat soup is the way to go.

Thanks again.

Dave Fried

Keel McDonald
01-02-2006, 7:19 AM
Nice turning David. I especially like the wood choice. Anything that is one-of-a-kind is always nice.

Martin Shupe
01-02-2006, 11:54 AM
Although I have not been duck hunting in a few years, I sure do like this thread. I used to go duck and goose hunting quite a bit, but I've been busy, and we've had warm winters in TX the last few years.

I need to turn some duck and goose calls myself.