View Full Version : Williams and Hussey W-7 bearings

Jack Wilson
10-08-2020, 9:43 PM
This info may be helpful to some so I think I'll pass it along.. There are 3 bearings inside the gear case, you can order them from W&H, (who has just been purchased by the Original Saw Company, 10/1/2020). Or you can out source them yourself. There are (2) P-125 bearings and (1) P-126 bearing.

P-125 is a 1601ZZ bearing
P-126 is a 1602ZZ bearing

I don't know more yet about any of the gears, but I hope this helps someone out there to purchase at a fair price and a quick turnaround.

Bill Dufour
10-08-2020, 11:14 PM
why zz and not sealed?
Bil lD

Bruce Wrenn
10-09-2020, 9:26 PM
why zz and not sealed?
Bil lD

If they are contained INSIDE the gear case, then do they run in a oil bath of gear oil? If so, then you don't want them sealed.

Bill Dufour
10-09-2020, 11:03 PM
If they are contained INSIDE the gear case, then do they run in a oil bath of gear oil? If so, then you don't want them sealed.

If they are inside I would think they would be open not zz? I have heard of pulling the seals off one side of a bearing so oil could get in from the gearbox and the seal stops it from leaking outside. I obviously have no idea where these bearings are, but still good to know the numbers in the future for other readers . Thanks.
Bill D

Tony Shea
10-10-2020, 11:14 AM
I would def think zz would be fine without removing the shield on one side. Oil will def find a way inside passing the shield over time. I certainly don't think a sealed bearing is necessary in this application and may not last as long due to the increase in friction.

Bruce Wrenn
10-10-2020, 7:29 PM
OT to this thread, but over at NC Woodworker, a poster picked up a WH from a thrift store for $95. OUCH!

Mel Fulks
10-11-2020, 1:01 AM
OT to this thread, but over at NC Woodworker, a poster picked up a WH from a thrift store for $95. OUCH!

I posted this before , but I worked for a guy who had one of those and I refused to use it. He was using just one knife
and a chunk of steel for a balance. The machine would go for walks while it was working. I told him he should just open
door and let it walk out. And I always called it the "vegematic ".

Jack Wilson
10-11-2020, 8:05 PM
If they are contained INSIDE the gear case, then do they run in a oil bath of gear oil? If so, then you don't want them sealed. This is a good point. The one I removed was just Z, but it was so beat up that I thought the seal was just beat to hell. AND, it's not been able to hold oil since I got it, so I have a new gasket on the way. You think I should remove a seal? I don't use it but once a year for a few board feet. Right now I need to run 10 BF of 6" crown to match a project I'm working on for a client with an OLD house.

David Kumm
10-12-2020, 4:11 PM
Shields and seals are different. Z is a shield which is metal and non contact so oil will penetrate easily and grease will also to a lesser extent. They run cooler and have less friction than a contact seal which is usually designated R or RS. Oil will penetrate some but generally grease will not go in or come out. Dave

Jack Wilson
10-12-2020, 9:58 PM
I'll be using gear oil, so I should be good then. Thank you!