PDA

View Full Version : i am a finely tuned tool

Richard Stewart
01-01-2006, 3:53 PM
I would like yu guys to see something i did, not exactly sure how, but i did, my dad says its too much of a waste of money to buy a chatter tool (or w/e theyre callled) so i just forgot about it untill this came up. I was makeing a box, and and the top, i made a chatter :eek: dont ask me how, but if you know how, then plz tell me cause it was exciting to see that i could do that http://img316.imageshack.us/img316/1130/woodwork0236kn.th.jpg (http://img316.imageshack.us/my.php?image=woodwork0236kn.jpg)-----click on the pic to make it BIG AND CLEAR

Steve Clardy
01-01-2006, 5:03 PM
That's in end grain, and maybe had a dull tool.

Jim Becker
01-01-2006, 5:57 PM
Richard, the effect is "Right", but you need to use the techinque on end-grain with the right tooling for best results. The secret to the "tool" is that it needs to be flexible, yet strong, so it will vibrate as it catches in the grain of the wood. You don't have to buy something...you can make one using a small scrap of spring steel and a shop-turned handle. Just look at pictures of the tools in online stores to figure out what you need to do. And making your own tools for special effects can be fun, too.

Ernie Nyvall
01-01-2006, 7:32 PM
Richard, what tool were you using when this happened? I've had a similar mark on the end of a piece when I had my parting tool at a bad angle... for what I was doing anyway. There was also a nick in the wood which was causing the tool to have sort of a bobbing motion as it cut. A chatter can happen too on the end of a piece that is a bit long where it creates a vibration. Just about any tool will create a chatter look in this case, but it's the wood vibrating and not the tool.

Hope this helps.

Ernie

John Hart
01-02-2006, 7:03 AM
Tool Making can be very rewarding Richard. Just be careful. Working with metal can be dangerous....Lot's of sharp things that will make you leak! ;)

Jim Dunn
01-02-2006, 9:49 AM
I thought that chatter was "wrong". I guess it's like knurling on a handle?

Jim

Carole Valentine
01-02-2006, 11:07 AM
I thought that chatter was "wrong". I guess it's like knurling on a handle?

Jim
Chatter is not a good thing unless you are using the so-named tool intended to produce decorative effects. It usually means you are doing something wrong, have a dull tool or the piece needs support (a bowl or spindle steady, or sometimes just your hand) among other possibilities. At the first sign of chatter, the first thing I do is reassess the way I am making the cut and the tool I am using. If that doesn't fix it, I head to the grinder. If the piece is being turned very thin, I think about adding some support.

Blake McCully
01-02-2006, 3:36 PM
I dont ask me how, but if you know how, then plz tell me cause it was exciting to see that i could do that
Richard,
The first time I did something like that was when I was using my 3/8" spindle gouge that I have ground like a irish grind. I was doing a shearing cut, you know, with the flutes nearly perendicular to the wood, but my tool rest was too far away. Tried it a couple of other time on purpose and that's what did it. Sorta like a chatter tool, but unfortunately I've not been able to control it as well as with a chatter tool.

Ron Ainge
01-03-2006, 5:10 PM
Richard
I will not try to figure out how you got the chatter marks on your project but I will tell you that making a chatter tool is not real hard. The first one that I made was made out of an old saber saw blade. I ground off all of the teeth and then ronded one end of the blade with a slight angle on the rounded edge. I then bent the last quarter of and inch of the blade to about a 20 degree angle. I then used vise grips to hold the blade when I tested it to see if it would work. It worked so well that I made a handle to put it in. I made the handle so that I could adjust the length of the blade and I am still using one like the first one now. I hope this helps you but if not email me with any questions.