PDA

View Full Version : Sawstop router plate on the 52” saw

Jack Frederick
10-08-2020, 7:55 PM
This is a nice bit of kit. It was certainly packaged well from SS. I removed the side composite top On the 52” and mounted the router plate to the Rt side of the CI. While SS instructions are excellent they do not cover this configuration, nor do they support it with drawings. For $150 bucks for the 32” fence rails I chose to cut down my 52” angle rails and I cut the fence bar down to 32” as well. Legs are supplied but I do not think I will need them as it is very stable as it sits without them. I always seemed to catch the support legs on the 52” so no love lost for the legs. I will keep an eye on the top for line up, but I don’t think it will go anywhere. I’m very pleased with the look of it and space saving was one of the drivers for this. My Norm router table will go to a friend.
Remaining will be fabrication of the metal dust box to encompass the 7539. Unfortunately my AL Pro Plate currently on the 7539 is to small for the SS opening. I have the shown Woodcraft plate but will look for another PP of correct size. Any suggestions on other router plates would be appreciated. I will incorporate a crank handle for my router lift. Should get on that tomorrow.

Jim Becker
10-08-2020, 8:29 PM
Seems like a very nice product. It's similar in design to the older BenchDog cast iron setup I use for my "poor man's shaper" on my slider including how the fence is handled.

Andy D Jones
10-10-2020, 3:20 PM
The Benchdog is almost identical, except the Benchdog fence can be mounted either inboard or outboard of the router bit (there are two sets of slots in the BD table.) Very good quality unit, as it appears is true of the SS unit as well.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Jim Becker
10-10-2020, 4:13 PM
When I stopped to see Brian Holcomb yesterday about something, I noticed he has essentially the same cast iron router top. I think he said it had been Jet branded, but I could be wrong about that.

Jack Frederick
10-13-2020, 11:18 PM
I finished the DC box and my lift mechanism. The box is angle iron. Sheet metal with a 3/4 or so plywood base. Plexiglass front with simple access to pull the router release lever and a socket to turn bolt for raising or lowering bits. I used a piece of hope to ride against the router top. Pretty smooth Lift action and done with material on hand. Time will tell the tale, but it has been a good project

Jim Becker
10-14-2020, 10:45 AM
REALLY nice work, Jack! Be sure to have some small air openings at the bottom of the front door/window so that the air sweeps debris back toward the collection port. A few small slots or holes will do the trick and it really does make a difference. A small hole in the sides just above the bottom in the two back corners will do the same for those areas.

Jack Frederick
10-14-2020, 3:45 PM
Thanks, Jim. Good points all. It is difficult to see in the second photo given the plexiglass cover is clean but here are three 1 1/4" holes at the bottom as well as the one on the back left corner I had to cut when I dropped the router into place and realized that I had forgotten a spot for the router power cord to get out. Also I did not do a tight fit on the side sheet metal top and bottom anticipating some air sweep there. I will run it as is and check to see where dust builds up and modify as needed. I'm going to set up the DC but got drafted onto the honey-do list today.

Jim Becker
10-14-2020, 5:13 PM
'Glad you accommodated that and yes I didn't see the holes. The four 1.25" holes may be too large, however...calculate the average opening area up top with the router plate as well as any pickup on the fence and subtract that from the area of your (presumably) 4" dust port. What's left is the maximum area of the "sweep" holes you want to have in the box. You want most of the air movement coming from up top where the chips and dust are being produced; down below is merely to provide air flow that directs debris away from the corners so it doesn't accumulate. You can easily make little partial inserts/covers to fine tune this for best dust collection performance. The "ideal" is, again, clearing up top combined with nothing staying in the box.

Jack Frederick
10-14-2020, 7:14 PM
Ah, an experiment. I will try it in an assortment of configurations. In addition to how the dust moves I am also looking at protecting the router. the 7539 has a large flat base with large slots for ventilation which I may try to build a shield for to help shed the debris.