PDA

View Full Version : Block Plane Rehab..

steven c newman
10-08-2020, 1:10 PM
Just something to do, took maybe an hour....hey, I was bored...:rolleyes:

Found this "thing" tucked away in a box....just needed a blade, is all, right?
Maybe..
I have seen worse..
Not too hateful?
Hmm..I could be wrong? Trouble spots after a tear down..
Cap iron should be called Blunt Instrument, Threaded objects were a tad rusty, no eccentric lever. Iron is a spare ( Stanley Rule & Level logo)
Once the sliding part was removed..casting marks?
Did not intend to repaint anything. Just clean things up, sharpen the spare iron, and see IF it can be made to work...like a block plane...

This MIGHT be a Stanley (yellow label seems to have a clipped corner logo) No. 9-1/2....Hmm..
Stay tuned...the rehab has begun..
:D

steven c newman
10-08-2020, 1:23 PM
Ok, once I got started, it was a bit hard to stop...got the parts all cleaned up...
Still had to flatten the old iron ( came from a Yard Sale Stanley No. 3..) sharpen the edge to 2000 grit....shine the rest of the iron....
That "Blunt Object" of a cap iron was next....paint was flaking off, removed that. Front edge was way too thick....grind into a better edge, almost chipbreaker style. cap is basically "pot metal"...

Left a bit of the yellow label. Lateral lever needed re-bent...might have landed on it once? Bend it out a bit, to get it of the adjuster wheel. Oiled the threads up, made sure the sliding mouth moved easy enough..
Sole seems to be flat enough..for a block plane
Set up a test track....took some fussing to set it up...
1 hour's work. Now what will I do for the rest of the day..
Seems to be a decent enough plane....will check the spares box...and see about a more correct iron...sometime.

steven c newman
10-09-2020, 9:46 AM
Amazing...who'd a-thunk that simply removing that 1/8" high "wall" on the front of the cap....would lead to shavings flying up and out of a block plane....instead of just folding up like an accordion's bellows.

At the end of that test strip, they were flying off, and onto the floor...before I could even grab them...actually had to slow down, just to grab a couple....was kind of hard to stop....was a lot of fun.

The iron in the plane right now, has a logo called the J trademark....was used up to 1909...It was sitting in a Stanley No. 3c that I had bought for $2..as it was missing it's own iron and chipbreaker.

Was at a "Meet & Greet" a couple years ago....was given a plastic tub of stuff...
That someone thought I could clean up and use....
Yeah...the whole "kit & kibootle"......Finally down to this last block plane....at least the price was right...not counting that $2 iron..