PDA

View Full Version : Is Home Depot closing all California stores or just then ones near me?

Bill Dufour
10-06-2020, 11:19 PM
For several months Home Depot's website shows no stores within 50 miles of me. There are 3 in town. The local workers no nothing about a shut down. The website no longer lets me search for stores further away so it is impossible to see how far this shutdown will extend. Of course it may be their website is just so bad but I am not going to hang on the phone for hours to get someone in india who does not know either. They do not respond to emails.
Bill D

Mike Henderson
10-06-2020, 11:20 PM
The ones close to me (in Orange County) are doing a booming business. Can't imagine they would close them.

Mike

[I just did a search for Home Depot stores close to 95313 and found several within less than 50 miles.]

Bruce Page
10-06-2020, 11:29 PM
The ones close to me (in Orange County) are doing a booming business. Can't imagine they would close them.

Mike

Same here. We have 5 of them in ABQ. I was in one yesterday. It was quite busy.

glenn bradley
10-07-2020, 1:15 AM
I find plenty of them in Medesto using Google maps. A BORG website’s search engine would not be my choice for much. Half the time they can’t find items that are in their own store.

Stephen Rosenthal
10-07-2020, 1:27 AM
Plenty in the Bay Area. If your software is old it may be affecting their website’s ability to search. Try updating your software.

Curt Harms
10-07-2020, 8:34 AM
For several months Home Depot's website shows no stores within 50 miles of me. There are 3 in town. The local workers no nothing about a shut down. The website no longer lets me search for stores further away so it is impossible to see how far this shutdown will extend. Of course it may be their website is just so bad but I am not going to hang on the phone for hours to get someone in india who does not know either. They do not respond to emails.
Bill D

It may be an issue with your browser. I use Firefox with some add-ons and finding a local store involves restarting Firefox in safe mode which disables add-ons. Or use a different browser - I use Vivaldi which is Chromium based as an alternative.

Jim Becker
10-07-2020, 8:58 AM
I agree with Curt...likely something wrong with how the search is being interpreted. HD is booming...

Matt Day
10-07-2020, 9:02 AM
You could also try the phone or actually going there, rather than replying on your computer.

mike stenson
10-07-2020, 10:25 AM
You could also try the phone or actually going there, rather than replying on your computer.

If they're anything like here, you're going to have to go in. I haven't had a phone answered in a reasonable time frame since.. oh yea, February.

Matt Day
10-07-2020, 12:05 PM
If they're anything like here, you're going to have to go in. I haven't had a phone answered in a reasonable time frame since.. oh yea, February.

I had to call my local HD a couple times for curbside pickup questions and they answered every time.

mike stenson
10-07-2020, 12:16 PM
I had to call my local HD a couple times for curbside pickup questions and they answered every time.

Curbside sure. Try calling because you have a delayed delivery. Or, it could just be that the ones in Tucson suck. That's not surprising. I really miss the local mom and pop lumber yards they put out of business.

Bill Dufour
10-07-2020, 3:22 PM
I tried and it works fine on chrome, for now. I do not like the way chrome handles bookmarks so I try to not use it. I thought firefox was a major browser and should be supported but I guess not.
Bill D

mike stenson
10-07-2020, 3:29 PM
Well, it should be. Unfortunately, and this is actually my professional opinion, many 'developers' are not that. Sure, they can write code, but they never think to actually unit test (formal e2e testing? ridiculous ;) )

Brian Tymchak
10-07-2020, 4:25 PM
.... I thought firefox was a major browser and should be supported but I guess not.
Bill D

Firefox currently only accounts for 4% of the browser market.

https://gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share

When I developed/tested website content for a major insurance company, we routinely gave lower priority to supporting Firefox because the business value was essentially negative.

Jim Becker
10-07-2020, 7:16 PM
"Theoretically" there shouldn't need to be any site support for various browsers at this point HTML5, etc., should have "fixed" that issue. But the reality is that various browsers still have differences in how they interpret things. This sounds like such a glitch to me...

mike stenson
10-07-2020, 7:19 PM
"Theoretically" there shouldn't need to be any site support for various browsers at this point HTML5, etc., should have "fixed" that issue. But the reality is that various browsers still have differences in how they interpret things. This sounds like such a glitch to me...

A lot of people also write just bad code.

Jim Becker
10-07-2020, 7:20 PM
A lot of people also write just bad code.

True dat!!!!!!!!

Curt Harms
10-07-2020, 7:25 PM
Firefox currently only accounts for 4% of the browser market.

https://gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share

When I developed/tested website content for a major insurance company, we routinely gave lower priority to supporting Firefox because the business value was essentially negative.

That may be in part because Firefox's share in mobile is minuscule. However Firefox has something called user agent switching (I think that's what it's called) which can make Firefox say "Oh hi there web site. I'm Internet Explorer or Chrome or whatever"even though it's Firefox. That visit would also be logged as Chrome or Internet Explorer or whatever I'd guess. I wonder if that accounts for some of Firefox's apparent decline. Or maybe not. As far as Firefox not working with certain web sites I kinda thought Firefox has privacy guards that some web site don't want to cooperate with. "What do you mean we can't track you?" Restarting in Safe Mode has worked for me.