PDA

View Full Version : buying jointer knives

John Harris
01-01-2006, 2:49 PM
Where do you guys buy jointer knives?

Rob Johnson
01-01-2006, 2:51 PM
Which jointer are you needing them for? Amazon.com carries Freud knives if you know your dimensions for a pretty good price... I can get at times a set of 3 Freud knives for my old Delta DJ-15 for $25 give or take...

Richard Wolf
01-01-2006, 2:53 PM
I've been happy with;
www.infinitytools.com

Richard

Dev Emch
01-01-2006, 3:11 PM
That is easy! I just bought a new set of three knives for my Porter 300 last thursday. I get my cutlery from Charles G. Schmidt in Montvale, New Jersey. They have knives for every jointer ever made plus some. I call them up, place the order for my 1961 20 in Porter 300 jointer and UPS picks up the order the next day. For popular small jointers, they most likely have them on the shelf.

Also, they use a newer flavor of HSS called T1. T1 is outstanding and outperforms the older alloys like M2 and other older HSS versions. You can also get solid carbide and carbide tip. For larger jointers of say 12 in and more, its not a good idea to use solid carbide knives!

You can reach them at 1-800-724-6438. Note that these guys supply to industry. So all you get a nice receptionist on the phone. No fancy pants marketing or sales specials. Just solid, no nonsense products that they stand behind. So if your a hobbyist, just phone em up and place your order. If you want free coffee, old donuts and a fancy store environment, then you need to go to woodcraft or rockler but I doubt they stock T1.

Corvin Alstot
01-01-2006, 7:11 PM
I get my cutlery from Charles G. Schmidt in Montvale, New Jersey. You can
reach them at 1-800-724-6438. Just solid, no nonsense products that they stand behind.. .
If you want free coffee, old donuts and a fancy store environment,
then you need to go to woodcraft or rockler but I doubt they stock T1.http://www.cggschmidt.com/
Dev/ I noticed they sell table saw blades as well. It looks like they have
their own brand. Have you tried tried them? I can pass on donuts for good products.
I make my coffee at home.

Dev Emch
01-01-2006, 7:41 PM
http://www.cggschmidt.com/
their own brand. Have you tried tried them? I can pass on donuts for good products.

I go back long before they had circs so I am still using my original forrest blade investment. But their blades to look pretty good. Note that they do not make everything they sell so these blades are most likely OEM purchased from someone else who puts the schmidt name on them. Forrest made the blades I have.

I have used the T1 knives and am very happy with them. Much better quality than the knives that were on them. T1 post dates the orig. knives in my oliver machines so using T1 is actually an upgrade becase T1 is better than the HSS of the time. And T1 is most likely superior to the knives that come on import machines.

I also use quite a bit of their corrugated knife solutions for shaper work. I have their innovator head for cutting raised panels and its outstanding. I wish the head had a bit more shear angle on the knives for end grain cuts. But their massive hook angle does compensate for this in some wird way. And you can get an innovator to cuts dozens of raised panel profiles. Not limited to just one profile.

Then I use the larger corrugated gib heads. They have a nice inventory of prefab shapes for baseboards, relief, pickwicks, chair rails, round overs, etc. etc. etc. You just buy a new set of knives and load em up in the heads. They also grind custom knives using the same material.

They also do a great job on sharpening the helical edge profile of my oliver 125 tenoner heads which is something few folks can still do right.

But right now, I need to find a new 10 inch saw blade. This one is attached to the 5th aft motor in my tenoner and its held in with three bolts. No arbor hole persay. So right now, I am inclined to first check with forrest on this blade. It would be nice to get a forrest blade optimized for cross cuts with no hole in the middle. Just the three bolt holes. We will see if they can do this.

They also handle stuff for tersa and some terminus heads if you need to go that route.

John Harris
01-01-2006, 8:54 PM
Thanks, all!

Dev, I found my part number and I'm going to get the t1's first thing in the morning. Thanks.

Dave Mcintire
01-01-2006, 8:57 PM
Best deal I found was also Amazon

Russ Massery
01-01-2006, 10:03 PM
This where I get my planer & jointer knives from.There prices are hard to beat and there T-1.http://www.globaltooling.bizhosting.com/

Dominick Giarraputo
01-02-2006, 12:41 AM
While we're on the planer knife subject.... I have a Ryobi JP155 6-1/8" JP that they no longer sell replacement blades ( or any replacement parts ) for. Does anyone know where I might get blades for it?

Thanks!

scott spencer
01-02-2006, 9:02 AM
Hartville Tool. I think they were Infinity and they offer a Woodnet 15% discount.

John Harris
01-02-2006, 10:07 AM
Dominick, after going on the sites that everyone has recommended I found that you really don't even need to know your make and model, just the size of your current knives...assuming that they fit properly.

John Harris
01-02-2006, 10:17 AM
I was heading for Dev's recommendation for Schmidt's at $32 for the 3 pack. Global had the same T1 size for $17, so I went with them.

Now I'm off to build a solid stand, wait for the knives, and I'm in business!

John Hemenway
01-02-2006, 11:17 AM
So do the knives from these companies (Inifinty, GlobalT, Schmidt) come sharp and ready to use?

Russ Massery
01-02-2006, 11:34 AM
I can say the ones from global tooling are sharper then any I got from other sources.The ones I just put in the jointer cut so smooth a freind thought I had sanded it already.;)

tod evans
01-02-2006, 11:42 AM
http://www.cggschmidt.com/

corvin, i run the 8"dado from schmidt and am happy with the unit....02 tod