PDA

View Full Version : Standing up a bandsaw

Cliff Polubinsky
10-05-2020, 5:43 PM
I'm picking up a Rikon 10-347 on Wednesday. I'll be assembling it alone and I'm considering wrapping a lift strap around the spine and using a chain hoist or a shop crane to stand it up. It's 7' tall and 500 lbs.

Does this sound safe? Any better methods to consider?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cliff

Jim Dwight
10-05-2020, 6:07 PM
Cliff,

I got a Jet jwbs14sfx in September. It was over 300 lbs shipping weight and over 270 lbs without the packaging. I borrowed my son's engine hoist but I did not use it. I put the base on mine with the saw still in the bed of my pickup. Then I slid it partially out and tilted it upright. I then walked it 20 feet or so to where I wanted it.

Congratulations on your big Rikon. It's nearly twice as heavy as my 14 inch Jet. I think it is still possible to do what I did but standing it up and then walking it around would be harder and possibly not possible. Your size would matter. I am 6'2" and about 185lbs. I would certainly have a backup plan, like an engine hoist. My son's would lift 500 lbs at maximum extension. I tried just man handling it because I wasn't totally sure how to rig it. Could probably use ratcheting straps.

Josh Robinson
10-05-2020, 6:28 PM
I had the same concerns with a Rikon 324 at only 270 pounds but it stood up so easily that I’d be tempted to try yours unless you have a really convenient way to use the hoist....

David Publicover
10-05-2020, 7:07 PM
I set up my Laguna 18bx last month. It’s around 400lbs. I had my son (6’2” 200lbs) give me a hand and I was glad I had the help and it didn’t weigh a lot more. Mine was on the garage floor on its pallet rather than in the back of a pickup so sliding it out on a ramp was not an option.
A shop crane/engine hoist rental is about $40/day around here and was the way I planned to go before he arrived to help.
Good luck and enjoy. They seem like awesome machines.

Paul F Franklin
10-05-2020, 7:38 PM
I have a small electric winch (similar to winch in a bag) that I use for this sort of thing and it does the job easily. I just make sure nothing or no one is under it while lifting. I use the same winch, with one end secured to my truck hitch, to slide things down or pull them up the exterior steps that go down to my shop.

glenn bradley
10-05-2020, 8:02 PM
In the picture it appears to have a lift ring like my 17" Grizzly. I used this to get mine on and off the mobile base.

Richard Coers
10-05-2020, 8:51 PM
Often there is a tapped boss on top for a lifting eye. Not sure if that model has one or not.

Patrick Kane
10-05-2020, 9:37 PM
I stood up my LT20 in my basement on my own. I set up blocking against the opposite wall so it didn’t slide away from me mid-lift. Keep in mind, the majority of the weight is midpoint down.

Brian Holcombe
10-05-2020, 9:38 PM
I stood mine up with a case of beer. Worked great.

Malcolm McLeod
10-05-2020, 9:51 PM

I KNEW I should have spent more time on the sales pitch for the house next to me...

You know you don't need a snow shovel here, right!?

And we're closer to the equator! You'll be taller and your spouse more beautiful!

Zac wingert
10-06-2020, 3:40 AM
I too, got concerned that the machine was too much for me to maneuver. And, I too, drank a case of beer and then it was not a big problem.

Zachary Hoyt
10-06-2020, 8:31 AM
I was able to stand up my Jet 18" saw when I got it, and to roll it on a hand truck by myself. I think I took off the table so I could fit it through the door more easily. I also took it off the lousy homemade mobile base it was on and walked it up onto a 10" high wooden foot, made from two hardwood 8x8 offcuts and two hardwood 2x4 pieces, to get it up to a more comfortable working height for me. That saw is supposed to be around 500 from what I have found online, and it was not hard to handle. You get lots of leverage to tip it because it's so much taller than it is wide.

Jim Dwight
10-06-2020, 8:42 AM
I also unloaded my sawstop pcs by myself (in addition to my Jet bandsaw). It is close to 500 lbs. I brought it home on a trailer and tilted it out of the trailer onto a home made mobile base. I walked it over to the pallet it came on and then back to the base several times to get the base how I wanted it. I was not moving it far but it wasn't bad. I had forgotten this experience when I commented on my much more recent experience with the Jet. This makes me more confident you can unload this big Rikon bandsaw yourself. But a helper and/or backup plan is still a good idea.

Jim Becker
10-06-2020, 10:00 AM

ROFLOL!!! I've know a few folks who use that method...it works very nicely.

Cliff Polubinsky
10-06-2020, 10:46 AM
The saw does have a support bolt on the top but I'd been told by a salesman at the local woodworking store (they sell Laguna but not Rikon) that he'd heard you shouldn't use it to lift the saw. That's why I was asking. But after thinking a bit I couldn't think of what else it could be used for. So I sent an email to tech support last night and they responded this morning that yes, you can use the support bolt to upright the saw.

Thanks for all the input.

Cliff

Earl McLain
10-06-2020, 2:05 PM
The saw does have a support bolt on the top but I'd been told by a salesman at the local woodworking store (they sell Laguna but not Rikon) that he'd heard you shouldn't use it to lift the saw. That's why I was asking. But after thinking a bit I couldn't think of what else it could be used for. So I sent an email to tech support last night and they responded this morning that yes, you can use the support bolt to upright the saw.

Thanks for all the input.

Cliff

If i recall correctly, the primary purpose for the support bolt is to help anchor taller machines from tipping--like band saws and drill presses. But--it's sure nice to have a safety feature that has practical function and the blessing of the manufacturer's tech folks!!
earl

Tom Trees
10-06-2020, 3:40 PM
With the table off, I'd do the same and lift it from the column.
It the table is still on, it would slam upright unless you are tall and have some weight, and chip some paint,
might want to use the provided ply for some cushion.

You machine at 225 kg minus the table, the weight will be the heaviest when about knee height, but bearing in mind the machine being quite tall with 19"
under the guides, will spread that weight so you will have more leverage to tilt it upright.
At around 45 degrees or shoulder height, the saw will be be nearly pivoting on the bottom corner weighing little.
I was quite surprised when I bought a new 200kg saw, the man just grabbed the machine up by the column,
that machine had issues and I had to get it on a trailer quick to go back.

It was as easily tilted as I had seen, and looking back now, was nice to get the chance to do,
as the next machine was a 24" saw, and was standing on a pallet so looked huge.
For a wee bloke like myself I have to jump to reach my 7 feet machine, and I'd say it looked funny when it was also on the pallet.

Its when you get close to 300kg that it becomes difficult to manhandle with beer without some planning.

Looks a like a good machine
Tom

Bill Dufour
10-06-2020, 3:50 PM
I have seen pictures of a shop built wooden handtruck to move a saw like that. It is like a handtruck but it has two outrigger wheels on the back side so it can only tip back about 45 degrees. The saw is pushed around laying back at 45 degrees so it fits under the door. The truck is strapped on so the entire saw plus handtruck is tipped upright as a unit.
Bil lD

Bernie Kopfer
10-06-2020, 5:13 PM
Well Cliff, I got 24 hours on you. My 10-347 arrived this morning after sitting around town for a week😤. Took a half hour just to get the wood crating off, but I’m working with two bum shoulders. Mine was delivered upright on a sturdy pallet,so why do you think yours will be lying down unless you have to transport it that way? The table is not attached, which is a good thing because it is a monster and must weigh 70 lbs. I was able to attach the Rikon mobility kit on the pallet and gently rolled it off on a makeshift ramp and now I can easily take it anywhere. It does come with a lift bolt which might work for tipping it upright. A beautiful piece of steel. Oh by the way the doors open together. I darn near bent the top hinge before I figured that out.

Wes Grass
10-06-2020, 5:13 PM
I had little trouble moving my 16HD by myself, and I ain't big, 5-7ish, 175 lbs at my fattest. I'd pull the table off, 85 lbs I think. Pull it over and catch it, lay the top down on the tailgate. Pick up the bottom, slide it in. Reverse, rinse and repeat.

My FB-600, not so much. Engine hoist and straps to get the table off, 170 lbs. Pull it over with tie downs and screw eyes in the ceiling to where I could attach the engine hoist.

I won't attempt lifting this back up without a hoist. A couple instances in the past where my 'helper' let go and jumped away in the middle of letting something down. Not worth the risk of getting hurt, or going to jail for strangling the bas....

Cliff Polubinsky
10-06-2020, 5:59 PM
Bernie,

It's going to have to travel 2 hours in the back of my Ridgeline so I'll have Woodcraft load it laying down on it's back. Wouldn't want to try driving it back standing up. Indiana drivers aren't always the best and I'd hate to have to slam on the brakes with a 7' tall 500 lb crate in the bed. I bought a shop crane to lift it out of the truck then I'll lay it down on a pair of furniture dollies to roll back to the shop. I read that the table is 130 lbs so I'll use the crane for that as well. I'll be assembling it alone and my back has been giving me fits lately so I'm planning for as little lifting as possible.

May your saw be all you hope it would be.

Cliff

Jim Becker
10-06-2020, 7:14 PM
If it's in the truck bed on it's spine, set it upright as you slide it off the back with some help. No need for a crane, etc....just a couple of helpers and that case of adult beverages that Brian mentioned. I brought my MM16 home from a show that way and it was easy to carefully slide it down off the tailgate.

Jim Dwight
10-06-2020, 7:27 PM
The table should be separate on a new machine. Mine was. It was fairly heavy but I didn't think it was too bad. Side tables on the PCS were worse. That eyebolt on the top would be a good place for a winch or engine hoist. If you want to go the two wheeler route a refrigerator dolly would be better than others. You can strap the tool to the dolly. U haul has them for rent. They are made for this type of weight.

Cliff Polubinsky
10-06-2020, 8:49 PM
Jim,

The shop is about 90 feet behind the house. It will be easier to roll it horizontally on furniture dollies than trying to move it down vertically. And since there's only two of us, I'm 69 with a wonky back at the moment and my friend is 72, it seems prudent to use the crane. If I could back the truck up to the shop door I'd probably do as you suggest.

Cliff

Ron Selzer
10-06-2020, 8:50 PM
Bernie,

It's going to have to travel 2 hours in the back of my Ridgeline so I'll have Woodcraft load it laying down on it's back. Wouldn't want to try driving it back standing up. Indiana drivers aren't always the best and I'd hate to have to slam on the brakes with a 7' tall 500 lb crate in the bed. I bought a shop crane to lift it out of the truck then I'll lay it down on a pair of furniture dollies to roll back to the shop. I read that the table is 130 lbs so I'll use the crane for that as well. I'll be assembling it alone and my back has been giving me fits lately so I'm planning for as little lifting as possible.

May your saw be all you hope it would be.

Cliff

Sounds like a good plan, slow, steady, lots of thinking and planing.
Good luck
Ron

Jim Becker
10-07-2020, 8:48 AM
Jim,

The shop is about 90 feet behind the house. It will be easier to roll it horizontally on furniture dollies than trying to move it down vertically. And since there's only two of us, I'm 69 with a wonky back at the moment and my friend is 72, it seems prudent to use the crane. If I could back the truck up to the shop door I'd probably do as you suggest.

Cliff

Bummer you can't get the vehicle to the shop, so I agree with your approach. But once it's there, if you can get one or two more folks, you may find standing it up isn't all that bad.

Erik Loza
10-07-2020, 10:18 AM
I had little trouble moving my 16HD by myself... My FB-600, not so much...

During my Italian days, I could handle a 16" bandsaw by myself pretty easily but the 20" machines were impossible. Engine hoist with a yellow strap was my preferred method.

Erik

Tom Bender
10-16-2020, 4:49 PM
If you are going to lift with an eyebolt look up the capacities of eyebolts first. Good ones have 1/4 strength when pulled from the side. Less good ones have less capacity.

Michael J Evans
10-16-2020, 10:12 PM
I would think a heavy duty ratchet strap would be adequate. Just the other day in the shop we lifted a 780# machine with a ratchet strap and forklift.

Cliff Polubinsky
10-17-2020, 11:28 AM
If you are going to lift with an eyebolt look up the capacities of eyebolts first. Good ones have 1/4 strength when pulled from the side. Less good ones have less capacity.

This eyebolt is the support bolt that came with the saw. I checked with tech support and they said that the saw could be lifted upright with it. By the way I brought the saw home last Wednesday. Used a shop crane to stand it up with no problem.

glenn bradley
10-17-2020, 11:35 AM
This eyebolt is the support bolt that came with the saw. I checked with tech support and they said that the saw could be lifted upright with it. By the way I brought the saw home last Wednesday. Used a shop crane to stand it up with no problem.

Glad that worked out. As mentioned, I used the built in bolt on mine without issue.