PDA

View Full Version : Looking for replacement Porter Cable 7518 router motor

scott vroom
10-05-2020, 2:14 PM
The speed control on my PC 7518 has been broken for some time and only works on one speed (it feels like high but I'm not certain). From what I've read this is a common issue with that motor; mine is about 10 years old and I have no desire to repair unless it's a quick and relatively inexpensive fix.

Any recommendations on a high quality, multi-speed 3+ HP router table motor that will fit my JessEm router lift?

Thank you.

Richard Coers
10-05-2020, 2:44 PM
Never seen it done, but might be time to look at a Chinese CNC spindle with a VFD controller. Looks like you can get a new board for your motor from Porter Cable yet. Under $150, but you have to know if you type 1 or 2

Frank Pratt
10-05-2020, 2:45 PM
An aftermarket variable speed controller might be the ticket. I think Rockler sells one. If you want to replace the whole thing, then I can recommend the Milwaukee 5625. It is a gem; powerful & smooth. It is slightly smaller than the PC router, so you'l need a shim to make it fit the lift, which JessEm should be able to sell you. I couldn't get one for my lift because the manufacturer (Excalibur) went out of business. I just ordered a piece of .032" x 2" x 12" brass shim stock from Amazon & it worked perfectly. It was just a few dollars.

Andy D Jones
10-05-2020, 3:46 PM
If the router is currently stuck on its highest speed, an after-market speed control should work fine. But if it is stuck on less than highest speed, the two controls may not work well together, resulting in the speed slowly oscillating up and down.

Depending on which Jessem lift you have, it may be adjustable to fit various routers (e.g. Mast-R-Lift-II or -II-R). I believe some other Jessem lifts require additional adapters to fit various routers.

The remote speed/on/off router motor available from Jessem seems like it would be very convenient, especially if you have, or plan to use, a dust enclosure surrounding the router under the table.

Although I cannot personally vouch for the big Milwaukee router, I have it's littler brother (2.25HP) and like it very well. I've used it in its fixed base, its plunge base, and in the router lift (Incra version of the Jessem Mast-R-Lift-II-R).

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Phil Gaudio
10-05-2020, 5:28 PM
I've had a similar problem with my 7518. You may want to try removing the switch and blowing/vacuuming out the switch as is could be as simple as some sawdust mucking up the works. Zero cost and probably less than 30 minutes shop time: I think its worth trying.

The speed control on my PC 7518 has been broken for some time and only works on one speed (it feels like high but I'm not certain). From what I've read this is a common issue with that motor; mine is about 10 years old and I have no desire to repair unless it's a quick and relatively inexpensive fix.

Any recommendations on a high quality, multi-speed 3+ HP router table motor that will fit my JessEm router lift?

Thank you.

jamil mehdi
10-05-2020, 7:37 PM
The Milwaukee 5625 is the best option for replacement. With that said, have you tried adjusting the motor speed after the router has started? The 7518 starts off at full RPM and slows down after that. It's a switch problem, not a motor problem

glenn bradley
10-05-2020, 9:03 PM
The speed control has been a black eye for the 7518 since the 2000's and it is a shame they never fixed the problem. The 518 debuted in 1985 and has been a staple for many ever since. Someone was mentioning "all the speed control problems" with the Milwaukee 5625 in another thread somewhere when the 5625 was offered by another member as an alternative for the table. This struck me as odd so I went on a search. I couldn't really find much on it although reports on the 7518's were plentiful.

At any rate the two locomotives for the table have been the 7518 and the 5625 for some time and I think it is a shame if the 7528 goes out of production, control problems or not; its a beast. I can say I have run a couple of 5625's, one since the mid 2000's. They have been seriously worked but, never abused. All they ever do is work. I have replaced bearings on other routers and cannot believe my primary table router still spins like day one. The price keeps going up on the 5625 but, I don't think it ever caught up to the 7518. I've mentioned in other threads that if one of my 5625's burst into flames I would order another one before the smoke cleared.

Bruce Wrenn
10-05-2020, 9:31 PM
On your 7518, check out the capacitors in the control board. If I remember correct, they are 33uf capacitors. Google "Problems with speed control for PC 7518." Your answer should be found there.

scott vroom
10-06-2020, 2:51 PM
Thanks all for sharing your thoughts. I've decided to give the 7518 to my son and if he can fix the speed controller it's his to keep.

I called JessEm and they also recommended the Milwaukee 5625...they told me one of their MasterLift II mounting options is sized for the 5625 so that sealed the deal. I ordered the 5625 this morning.

Thanks again!

Scott

Jim Becker
10-06-2020, 4:04 PM
That's a good router...it's more or less taken the PC's space in the CNC industry for that size router motor when cost lower than a spindle is desired. It should do what you want it to do!