PDA

View Full Version : Cordless shop vacuum on wheels

mike sato
10-04-2020, 4:52 AM
Looking to buy a cordless shop vac on wheels.

The only one I've found that is in the typical shop vac form factor is the Ridgid 9 Gallon NXT Wet Dry Vac, HD0900 (https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/9-gallon-nxt-wet-dry-vac) $119.
Since I don't have any Ridgid tools, I'll have to buy a Ridgid battery (Octane 6 ah, $149) and charger ($60). Total $328 + tax.

Anyone here using this Ridgid cordless shop vac? Is it worth $328?

Any other cordless shop vac suggestions?

Matt Day
10-04-2020, 6:30 AM
Curious why you need cordless? Portable? Hate cords lol?

mike sato
10-05-2020, 1:34 AM
Curious why you need cordless? Portable? Hate cords lol?

When I vacuum the floor, my shopvac is repeatedly being hung up by the wheels hitting the extension cord. I'm hoping to get rid of that pain with a cordless shop vacuum.

Andre Packwood
10-05-2020, 1:51 AM
When I vacuum the floor, my shopvac is repeatedly being hung up by the wheels hitting the extension cord. I'm hoping to get rid of that pain with a cordless shop vacuum.

Unfortunately Mike, the vacuum cleaner you mention is a corded model. I have their 3 gallon battery operated Cordless Wet/Dry Vac WD0319. Quite handy, but a battery hog.

Regards, André

mike sato
10-05-2020, 2:18 AM
Unfortunately Mike, the vacuum cleaner you mention is a corded model. I have their 3 gallon battery operated Cordless Wet/Dry Vac WD0319. Quite handy, but a battery hog.

Regards, André

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-9-Gal-18-Volt-Cordless-Wet-Dry-Shop-Vacuum-Tool-Only-with-Filter-Hose-and-Accessories-HD0918/308699714

Mike Henderson
10-05-2020, 12:33 PM
Do you have cordless tools now? If you do, have you checked with that manufacturer to see if they make a cordless vac?

Mike

Alan Schwabacher
10-06-2020, 10:58 AM
I apologize this isn't an answer to the question you asked, but it may address the problem you mention.

Since it is only within your shop, you might consider running 2" PVC pipe around your shop with blast gates positioned in convenient spots. This lets you leave the shopvac (and small cyclone/large dust reservoir) out of the way. A long hose or two you can connect wherever you want makes for fairly convenient access.

My shop ceilings are low enough to reach, so that's where I put mine. And several low voltage switches running to a relay allow me to switch it on or off from almost anywhere in the shop without needing to hang onto a remote. While it does take some assembly, the pipe, fittings, relay, switches, cyclone, reinforced bin and hose add up to less than a battery and charger. The hose is the most expensive part, and you probably want that anyway.

Long pipe runs are less of a problem for a shopvac with its relatively large pressure drop than for a high-flow low pressure drop DC.

Ron Selzer
10-06-2020, 11:35 AM
I apologize this isn't an answer to the question you asked, but it may address the problem you mention.

Since it is only within your shop, you might consider running 2" PVC pipe around your shop with blast gates positioned in convenient spots. This lets you leave the shopvac (and small cyclone/large dust reservoir) out of the way. A long hose or two you can connect wherever you want makes for fairly convenient access.

My shop ceilings are low enough to reach, so that's where I put mine. And several low voltage switches running to a relay allow me to switch it on or off from almost anywhere in the shop without needing to hang onto a remote. While it does take some assembly, the pipe, fittings, relay, switches, cyclone, reinforced bin and hose add up to less than a battery and charger. The hose is the most expensive part, and you probably want that anyway.

Long pipe runs are less of a problem for a shopvac with its relatively large pressure drop than for a high-flow low pressure drop DC.

This is a very good suggestion
Ron

richard poitras
10-06-2020, 11:48 AM
At $380.00 you could by a top end corded vac and just make a cord trolly for the ceiling ... just saying?

mike sato
10-06-2020, 2:53 PM
Do you have cordless tools now? If you do, have you checked with that manufacturer to see if they make a cordless vac?

Mike
My cordless tools are a 3/8" drill and an impact driver both by Bosch. Bosh sells a 2.6 gallon cordless vacuum that's in the typical shopvac form factor but unfortunately the vacuum does not have wheels and does not allow attaching the hose to use as a blower.

I could make a bottom with casters to solve the wheels problem. But being able to connect the hose for blowing is an absolute must have for me. I use the blower so much to blow sawdust out of my power tools and to clean our carport. I don't have a shop so have to work in our carport. My table saw and jointer are on wheels so I roll them out of their storage cabinets to do work in the carport. At the end of a day of work, I blow the sawdust on the floor out of the carport on to the concrete walkway up to the hollow tile wall. Then I just sweep up the sawdust along the wall and dump it into the trash.

I don't know what the Bosh designers were thinking when they made a shop vacuum that can only suck but not blow. Or maybe the designers wanted to be able to attach the hose for a blower but the marketing department nixed it so they could sell Bosh cordless blowers. Either way, they lost me as a buyer of their shop vacuum.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Ron Selzer
10-06-2020, 3:02 PM
OK with this additional information I now understand what you want a lot better.
Sorry don't have any answers for you. I have never had a shop where I could blow it all out like you and some others on here do. Sounds like a lot easier to keep clean.
Would like to know what you end up with
Ron

mike sato
10-06-2020, 3:06 PM

Thank you for your suggestion.

Unfortunately it won't work for me since I use my shopvac all around the house, not only in our carport shop. For example when I do house repairs I often need a shop vacuum to suck up sawdust or wood chips, or to blow those items out of crevices. This happens anywhere in or out of the house.

Keep it warm.

mike sato
10-06-2020, 3:16 PM
At $380.00 you could by a top end corded vac and just make a cord trolly for the ceiling ... just saying?

Hi Richard. As previously mentioned in another post, I use my shopvac all around the house, not only in our carport shop. For example when I do house repairs I often need a shop vacuum to suck up sawdust or wood chips, or to blow those items out of crevices. This happens anywhere in or out of the house.

Another example is when I did plumbing work. The main water line from the city comes up from the ground at the exterior of our house. I had to do some soldering but the main water valve was leaking so water kept coming up that pipe. That made it impossible to solder the union coupling I needed. My work around was to get a smaller diameter copper tubing and duct tape it to my shopvac's hose. I stuck that tubing into the water line coming up from the ground and turned on the vacuum. I was then able to solder the union coupling to the main water line. In other words I use my shop vacuum all around the house for various jobs.

Thanks for taking the time to make your suggestion. I appreciate it.

Rick Potter
10-07-2020, 1:58 AM
Sounds like what you need is a battery powered leaf blower. Easy to find in whatever brand battery you might have.

My 10 year old 18V Makita is what I use in my shop, as well as blowing off my porch area.

Alan Lightstone
10-07-2020, 8:38 AM
Get McGyver with a 12V battery and an inverter?

Alan Schwabacher
10-07-2020, 10:53 AM
Milwaukee makes an 18V shopvac with a blower port. Their tools tend to get good reviews, but I have no experience with this one. Since Bosch doesn't fit the bill, you might choose on the basis of which battery platform looks like it could best add to your current capabilities.

Ron Selzer
10-07-2020, 11:03 AM
Milwaukee has the largest selection of battery tools and a great reputation. I made the decision to go/stay with DeWalt by buying into the 20 volt line. Have the 14.4 and 18 now. Bought 20 for shop and 12 volt for wife in house. Thought a long time before doing this. Almost went Milwaukee 18 and 12 volt. Now wish I would have gone to Milwaukee due to more choices.
Good luck
Ron

Frank Pratt
10-07-2020, 11:28 AM
Milwaukee makes an 18V shopvac with a blower port. Their tools tend to get good reviews, but I have no experience with this one. Since Bosch doesn't fit the bill, you might choose on the basis of which battery platform looks like it could best add to your current capabilities.

I have the M18 "toolbox" vac, and it is a great little vacuum, for what it is. But let's face it folks, most shop vac duties require lots of suction & volume, which most any cordless vacuum is not going to provide. A cordless that even approaches a decent corded vac is going to cost $$$$

Bob Landel
10-07-2020, 12:20 PM
I have a DeWalt cordless 18 volt vacuum. Battery doesn't last long and will not accept lithium battery. It has hepa filter. I added my own wheeled caddy. I would buy it again

Bob Landel
10-07-2020, 12:21 PM
Get Dewalt and add caddy wheels yourself

mike sato
10-07-2020, 5:16 PM
Sounds like what you need is a battery powered leaf blower. Easy to find in whatever brand battery you might have.
My 10 year old 18V Makita is what I use in my shop, as well as blowing off my porch area.

I have a gas powered leaf blower that works great for yard work. Want a cordless shop vac but it might as well blow too for what I do.
Thanks.

mike sato
10-07-2020, 5:40 PM
Thanks for the Dewalt and Milwaukee cordless vacuum suggestions. Not sure I want a rectangular, small capacity cordless vacuum without wheels but I will research both vacuums. I can of course build a wheel caddy if needed, though that would add time and cost to the purchase.

Since I will need to buy battery (batteries) and charger for a brand other than Bosch, I'm open to any brand as long as the cordless vacuum will meet my wish list. I've also decided to buy a cordless 7-1/4" circular saw to fit the battery that I end up with. Been thinking about replacing my corded Rockwell circular saw for some time now, though I love that circular saw's perpendicular height adjustment. Would be nice to be cord free for a change.

Need to mention that the cordless vacuum having an internal bag that I can just remove and trash is also a must.

I might need to wait for black Friday to try to catch a sale.

Thanks.

Dave Sabo
10-07-2020, 7:24 PM
This should fit the bill:

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XCV13PT

cord -or - cordless and there's a bluetooth module to remotely turn on compatible makita tools

.....and circular + plunge saws galore:

https://www.makitatools.com/products/tools/cordless#c:circular-saws&f:18v

mike sato
10-08-2020, 1:40 AM
This should fit the bill:

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XCV13PT

cord -or - cordless and there's a bluetooth module to remotely turn on compatible makita tools

.....and circular + plunge saws galore:

https://www.makitatools.com/products/tools/cordless#c:circular-saws&f:18v

Oh, $789 at Home Depot with 2 batteries and a charger. .... Gulp.
Needs 2 batteries to run, 2.1 gallons. I don't need Hepa filter capability. 3 year warranty.

The Ridgid is $119 vacuum only at Home Depot. With one 6ah battery and a charger added the total is $328.
Only needs one battery to run and is 9 gallons. Lifetime warranty.
Winner so far and more in line with my budget.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Zac wingert
10-08-2020, 5:22 AM
You may want to consider adding a cyclone of some sort with it, on wheels too.

Jim Matthews
10-08-2020, 7:05 AM
https://www.averagepersongardening.com/best-cordless-leaf-blowers/

These pickup everything.

Garrad Miller
10-08-2020, 8:35 AM
Milwaukee backpack vacuum works well. Metabo hpt has a cordless extractor that gives you the option of corded or cordless.

lowell holmes
10-08-2020, 11:24 AM
The leaf blower is a good suggestion. I have one and I have cleared the saw dust out of my garage shop with it. I also use it on leaves in the fall.

John Stankus
10-08-2020, 11:28 AM
Hi Richard. As previously mentioned in another post, I use my shopvac all around the house, not only in our carport shop. For example when I do house repairs I often need a shop vacuum to suck up sawdust or wood chips, or to blow those items out of crevices. This happens anywhere in or out of the house.

Another example is when I did plumbing work. The main water line from the city comes up from the ground at the exterior of our house. I had to do some soldering but the main water valve was leaking so water kept coming up that pipe. That made it impossible to solder the union coupling I needed. My work around was to get a smaller diameter copper tubing and duct tape it to my shopvac's hose. I stuck that tubing into the water line coming up from the ground and turned on the vacuum. I was then able to solder the union coupling to the main water line. In other words I use my shop vacuum all around the house for various jobs.

Thanks for taking the time to make your suggestion. I appreciate it.

Do a cord trolley for an extension cord, and just plug in the shop vac when you need it. Still leaves it available to do other work and keeps the cord out of the way.

If you are just looking to justify buying a new toy, ignore my comment. :)

Brad Shipton
10-08-2020, 12:00 PM
Not sure if you have all your machines plumbed to a DC system. If you do, I ran a 30' long 3" hose that hangs inches below the ceiling. It is looped over typical bent brackets you buy at a hardware store. I can easily pull down whatever length I need from the ceiling hangers and vac up the floor. When done, the hose is stiff enough that I can clip it over the brackets easily. It works quite well with my 5hp DC.

Dave Sabo
10-09-2020, 7:09 PM
Oh, $789 at Home Depot with 2 batteries and a charger. .... Gulp.
Needs 2 batteries to run, 2.1 gallons. I don't need Hepa filter capability. 3 year warranty.

The Ridgid is $119 vacuum only at Home Depot. With one 6ah battery and a charger added the total is $328.
Only needs one battery to run and is 9 gallons. Lifetime warranty.
Winner so far and more in line with my budget.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Well.........you had a pretty extensive and specific list of needs and wants. I assumed (wrongly) you knew you were going to have to pony up.

Sure $700+ is a princely sum, but 3-$400 of that is batteries and charger. Factor in the tool activation trigger, variable speed , the cleaning accessories and adapters, plus HEPA rating and it’s not outrageous. But, if you won’t be adding anything else in the Makita lineup then that 400$ is dead weight. The 120v operation is a unique feature too, but you’ve said that is a drawback for you.

re: only needs one battery. Im sure you understand how battery works; so realize One battery isn’t a plus in the case of a power hungry tool like a vacuum. Especially when weight isn’t a concern.

Brad - your system doesn’t really make sense. Either you don’t really have 5hp “dust collector” or you’re starving the impeller of air with 3” pipe / hose and are cooking your motor. Now a 5hp craftsman shop vac could run on a 3” hose.

Zachary Hoyt
10-09-2020, 8:17 PM
I have a Ridgid 14 gallon vac for general use around the shop, and the one thing that is frustrating about it is that it doesn't like to roll over its own cord. I've been thinking about getting some 4" or so casters and putting them on in place of the little ones it came with, but I haven't actually done it yet. Another factor I've noticed is that if I fail to empty it for a while it gets worse, but soon after being emptied it bounces over the cord much more easily.

Frank Pratt
10-10-2020, 12:41 AM
Brad - your system doesn’t really make sense. Either you don’t really have 5hp “dust collector” or you’re starving the impeller of air with 3” pipe / hose and are cooking your motor. Now a 5hp craftsman shop vac could run on a 3” hose.

Starving a dust collector does not harm the motor in any way. In fact, it will run cooler.

Mike Henderson
10-10-2020, 11:47 AM
Starving a dust collector does not harm the motor in any way. In fact, it will run cooler.

Frank's correct. Just to add the reasons why:

The fan motor is loaded by moving the air. Air has mass and it takes power to move it. When the motor is not moving air it requires less power.

Most of the motors driving dust collection devices are induction motors. The speed of an induction motor varies with the load. The heavier the load on the motor, the greater the slip between the rotor and the rotating magnetic field, which means the motor is rotating slower. When you block up the intake on a dust collector you'll notice that the fan runs faster, which indicates that the slip decreases, which, in turn, indicates that the motor is not as heavily loaded - and therefore takes less power.

Now, looking at cooling the motor. The air used to cool the motor is not coming from the air moved by the dust collection fan. There's a separate fan that blows air over or through the motor to cool it.
So when you block up the intake to the dust collection, the motor speeds up because it it less loaded - which means it it using less power and generating less heat - and the cooling fan for the motor is now moving faster, blowing more cooling air over (or through) the motor.

So blocking up the intake to a dust collection device will not burn up the motor.

Mike

Andrew Joiner
10-10-2020, 5:02 PM
I've had a Ridgid 12v cordless drill for years. Not only do I love the drill, I love the lifetime warranty. I've used the warranty AND it covers batteries too.

I would only buy Ridgid cordless stuff now as long as they keep the warranty. I have many expensive cordless tools gathering dust because the batteries are shot. New batteries cost almost as much as a new Ridgid tool with a battery and lifetime warranty.

Tom Bender
10-17-2020, 12:05 PM
We bought the Ryobi 18 volt vacuum for all around use. We have hardwood floors so not much need for it on floors. It will go about 10 minutes on a big battery. (we have two) Good for the car, a rug, project cleanup etc. It sucks but does not blow.

mike sato
10-29-2020, 7:28 PM
Just wanted to share that I picked up the Ridgid 9gal cordless vac with one 6ah Ridgid Octane battery. Without measuring equipment, by feel the suction and blowing power using a 1-1/4" hose is the same as my corded 10gal ShopVac that uses a 1-1/4" hose.

The Ridgid vac comes with a 1-7/8" hose and using it, the blowing power straight from the hose is weaker than my corded ShopVac because of the larger diameter hose, but using the supplied "car nozzle", the blowing power is the same or a bit stronger then my corded ShopVac using its 1-1/4" hose.

It will be nice to blow and vacuum our carport after I use my table saw and jointer, without having to drag a power cord and have the wheels hang up on the cord. Wouldn't recommend a cordless vac for permanent power tool dust collection but for cleaning up by dragging the vac around, or for portable dust colledtion, it's a winner.