PDA

View Full Version : Makita 2040 planer bearings installation

Dennis Droege
10-03-2020, 3:42 PM
I've got an old Makita 2040 planer that has served me well. It's a trifle underpowered, but I've run a mile of lumber through it over time and I like the finish it leaves.

The reason for this entry is that I thought I needed to replace the bearings at each end of the spool that holds the blades, and as I look at the machine, I cannot figure out how to do this. All I find on YT are videos of replacing the rollers. Has anyone any experience with this machine?

I know, there's a factory manual, but it doesn't go into high echelon repairs. Any help would be certainly appreciated.

Bruce King
10-03-2020, 4:09 PM
I found this, looks like motor comes off first then keep taking parts off that are in line with the arbor. Hopefully you won’t need any special bearing pullers.
https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/manufacturer/makita/planer/2040/assembly-3

Dennis Droege
10-03-2020, 4:18 PM
Thank you. You've also supplied me with another parts source.

Bill Dufour
10-04-2020, 12:49 AM
buy RS bearings not ZZ regardless of what was on there. They may be different sizes on each end so pull both before ordering both.
Bil lD

Bruce King
10-04-2020, 10:05 AM
RS has rubber seal on one side and open on other side.
2RS is sealed on both sides.

Bill Dufour
10-04-2020, 11:48 AM
RS has rubber seal on one side and open on other side.
2RS is sealed on both sides.

Different makers use different nomenclature for the sealed on both sides. RR, 2RS etc. NTN uses LLU and LLB
Bill D

Dennis Droege
10-11-2020, 1:21 PM
Thanks, Bill and Bruce. I got the thing apart and discovered that the noise I thought was coming from the spool bearings was in fact coming from the infeed mechanism. Cleanup and a little oil quieted it down.

Bruce King
10-11-2020, 1:34 PM
Good deal!
My Delta planer started screaming like bad bearings and it ended up being a loose 22mm reverse threaded nut on the motor shaft. Forgot to put on loctite and had to fix it again a year later.