PDA

View Full Version : new year, new member

Tom Zachman
01-01-2006, 1:11 PM
Stumbled upon this forum while searching for information about Corian. One of those "things I found on the way to looking for OTHER things". Spent all day yesterday installing crown molding in the front hall, including a trip to Lowes to buy a coping saw and some wood rasps. Words of advice to others attempting this chore for the first time...buy a very high quality caulk...lots and lots of it. ha ha. Oh well, it's up on the wall. If I can figure out how to post pics, I'll do that.

So, what led me here in the first place. I need a piece of corian cut to a specific size that I want to stick on the wall behind our cooktop to use as a backsplash, of sorts. Anyone know where I one can buy small quantities of Corian? I've heard it's relatively easy to work with. I'll leave that for future posts, after I've done more searching.

Happy new year, all.
tz

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-01-2006, 1:42 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Tom. While I've used a lot of Corian, the biggest piece I started with was 2" X 2". Maybe someone else will be able to help you.

Bruce

Tyler Howell
01-01-2006, 2:20 PM
Welcome TZ,
I can relate. Doing crown molding today. It's all oiled oak so calk won't cut it today.
Maybe one of the lazer heads can help you. I know it's cut and polish it with a router. If you drag it into a cabinet shop they'll do it in their spare time.

Mike Forsman
01-01-2006, 2:40 PM
Tom,

Welcome to SMC. A really great group of folks and a great place for information.

Crown molding can be a pain to install. I can't help you with the Corian issue since I have never used it.

Keith Outten
01-01-2006, 3:17 PM
Tom,

Officially you can't purchase Corian unless you are a certified installer. Basically it means you have been trained to install Corian counter tops. I hit this wall when trying to purchase Corian for commercial signs and they wouldn't take my money because I wasn't a certified installer.

In all fairness DuPont has a warrenty that is based on their products being fabricated and installed in accordance with their specifications. This is why they are so protective concerning who purchases their products.

You need a small amount, how small is small?

Ken Salisbury
01-01-2006, 5:02 PM
Go to a local Corian installer in your area. They all accumulate large amounts of scrap. You should be able to get a piece for little or no cost.

John Bailey
01-01-2006, 6:36 PM
Tom,

Welcome to the "Creek." As you can see, you've already got a lot of good advice. That's par for the course here. Welcome, and do learn how to post pictures. We like 'em.

John

Richard Wolf
01-01-2006, 8:19 PM
Tom, welcome. Try this source for the corian;
http://stonewood.safeshopper.com/

Richard

tod evans
01-02-2006, 7:44 AM
welcome tom

Tom Zachman
01-02-2006, 4:18 PM
Wow. This forum gets a lot of action. I can see I'm going to have to be diligent about checking in or I'll miss something. Thanks for all the welcomes, and for the Corian advice.

I need a piece 12 x 30 to use as a backsplash for a cooktop. Someone asked..I need black. I'll keep looking in the mean time.

As for the coping...well..I put a coat of paint on it today so it would be easier to see where it needs filling and caulking..the paint makes it easier to see the imperfections. Wow. I guess I'll be able to make it look OK, but I don't think I'll be trying this again for awhile.

thanks again...tz

David Wilson
01-02-2006, 4:30 PM
Tom
Welcome aboard. If you want to keep up on what is going on at SMC there is an easy way.
Make sure you are logged on to the sight and click on new posts. When you are done reading the posts which interest you go back to the top,click on quick links, And click the mark forums read button. The next time you visit and go to new massages you will see only new activity since your last visit.
Also remember that we like pics.

Jim Hager
01-02-2006, 4:36 PM
Welcome to you. Be sure to check in often, we are always up to something interesting.

Roger Bailey
01-02-2006, 4:55 PM
Hello Tom, enjoy the forum I know I do.

Tom Zachman
01-02-2006, 5:07 PM
Thanks for the tip, David. Yeah, pictures are great. I'm a big fan of digital photography. I have to admit my woodworking skills are fairly basic, but I'm a pretty fair stained glass artist. I'm attaching (hopefully) a pic of a window I recently completed for our powderroom. And to keep it ON TOPIC, I'll point out that the glass was installed with a nice little cherry strip frame which I knocked off on my 35 year old 9" contractors saw that I bought used, 25 years ago, for $150.

I see that the big challenge to linking pics to a post is to get the size right. I've spent the last hour messing around with THAt since I got a new computer a few months back and neglected to re-load Photoshop...sheesh.

Jim Becker
01-02-2006, 5:17 PM
Tom, sizing your pics for about 640-700 pixels wide (landscape shots) works well for most browsers and helps keep the file size reasonable without over-compressing.

Tom Zachman
01-02-2006, 5:36 PM
OK..try it again. Stained glass I did last year for corner kitchen cupboard. Seems like if I get the file small enough to fall within the size limits, then the quality is crap. Is there a way to make the file smaller but still have decent quality? I realize cropping would help, first off...well, anyway, this is what I do best...pics of the crown molding to follow soon...wow it looks worse in pics than it does in person....

Tom Zachman
01-02-2006, 5:42 PM
OK this is it..it will look better after it's caulked and painted and the walls are painted...it's HARD to do, that's all I can say. I'm glad I tried it, but I doubt that I'll try it again soon.

Dennis Peacock
01-02-2006, 5:46 PM
Welcome to SMC Tom..!!!!!

Glad to have ya around.

Jay Knoll
01-02-2006, 5:46 PM
Tom

Great job, I can relate! I did that in a former house we owned, My wife said that I "sweared it up".

Have you thought about black granite for your backsplash? Unless you are specifically trying to match some countertops with corian. We put a granite backsplash in our kitchen, you should be able to get a local granite place to cut it to size and polish the edge. Our installer put it up with Liquid Nails.

Just noticed your location, I was raised in Irondequoit NY -- not too far from Webster.

Welcome to the Creek

Jay

Tom Zachman
01-02-2006, 5:58 PM
Black granite is an excellent idea. No, the counter tops are beige fieldstone Corian, but the cooktop is black, so I thought the black backsplash would be a nice touch. I'll have to check out a price on granite. Thanks for the idea.
tz

Steve Stube
01-03-2006, 1:43 AM
Tom, Welcome to SMC !

Richard Wolf, thanks for the Corian link. I've been getting scraps from a local installer (reasonable I think) but the adheasive is $40. a tube and I only use a very small amount of it and the rest is waste. The link gives me some useful options at more affordable prices.

Corey Hallagan
01-03-2006, 8:47 AM
Welcome to the Creek Tom, great place, great people!

Corey

Rich Torino
01-03-2006, 9:31 AM
Tom,
Welcome to the Creek. This is with out a doubt one of the best woodworking forums around. The members will go way out of their way to help you if they can....

Rich

Jason Tuinstra
01-03-2006, 10:27 AM
Tom, welcome! Good to have you here.

Ron Fritz
01-03-2006, 4:45 PM
Tom; welcome to the Creek. This is a great forum with lots of helpful and talented people. Hey, we're almost neighbors; I live in the Honeoye Falls, Lima area.

Craig Feuerzeig
01-03-2006, 5:17 PM
:eek: All Corian scratches show up white.

Matt Crew
01-03-2006, 6:48 PM
Welcome to the Creek.
If its information your looking for, you came to the right place.
There are more quality craftsmen here than you could shake a stick at.
I'm not one of them, but there are alot of them.

Ken Dolph
01-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Corian scratches appear white but are actually microfractures. If you do not want to sand and buff them out you can apply Turtlewax 2001 Protectant. Let it soak in for a few hours and clean off. It will even help when Corian turns white from heat (also microfractures).

I hope this helps