PDA

View Full Version : Guess That Estimate!

Kev Williams
10-01-2020, 1:13 AM
This is the wife's 2013 Mustang GT Convertible....

27k miles, a blast to drive, nice lookin' car!

--but it has few boo-boo's..
Got these scratches up front here,

--the deck lid trim panel, the paint's going weird (I've seen others like this, factory thing I guess?)

and as you probably noticed in pic 2, the lower valance on the right side is off,
dumass me drove it over a curb at the grocery store a few weeks ago, and driving OFF the curb
just peeled it off. It's a bit scratched underneath, not much worse than the other side, otherwise
it's fine, just need it put back on...

That's it for the damage.

So the other day I stopped in at 'a place', won't name it or even describe it, but it IS a place that could fix it. I asked them what it would cost me...

Guess That Estimate!

No prizes, just for informational and amusement purposes. I'm just curious what ya'll think that would set me back... :)

Mel Fulks
10-01-2020, 1:27 AM
Two hundred is all I would I would pay, I mean ....how many rolls of duct tape could it take? My official answer is $600
US. Hoping I'm high ..... But betting I'm too low! Good luck to you!

Doug Garson
10-01-2020, 1:38 AM
I'll guess that the "place" is a dealership and they wouldn't touch that job for less than $2000. :mad:

Doug Dawson
10-01-2020, 1:57 AM
This is the wife's 2013 Mustang GT Convertible....

27k miles, a blast to drive, nice lookin' car!

--but it has few boo-boo's..
Got these scratches up front here,

--the deck lid trim panel, the paint's going weird (I've seen others like this, factory thing I guess?)

and as you probably noticed in pic 2, the lower valance on the right side is off,
dumass me drove it over a curb at the grocery store a few weeks ago, and driving OFF the curb
just peeled it off. It's a bit scratched underneath, not much worse than the other side, otherwise
it's fine, just need it put back on...

That's it for the damage.

So the other day I stopped in at 'a place', won't name it or even describe it, but it IS a place that could fix it. I asked them what it would cost me...

Guess That Estimate!

No prizes, just for informational and amusement purposes. I'm just curious what ya'll think that would set me back... :)

Looks like about 3k to do it right.

Jim Matthews
10-01-2020, 6:34 AM
$1500 plus any shorn brackets.

Steve Wurster
10-01-2020, 7:18 AM
I'd wager you got a decent estimate of $8,000. Seriously.

Lee Schierer
10-01-2020, 7:25 AM
My guess is $3997. Never take a car to the dealership for body work.

Bob Turkovich
10-01-2020, 7:45 AM
Is this like the Price is Right where you need to be the closest but not over? If that's the case, $3996.:p

George Bokros
10-01-2020, 8:00 AM
Fender (including blending on to the hood) $1,200 and taillight panel paint $350, rocker trim reinstall $300, Total including supplies and tax $1900.

Glen warner
10-01-2020, 9:44 AM
My guess is $3950. Don't know much about them

Christopher Herzog
10-01-2020, 10:16 AM
I'm going 3k. They will crush the labor and want to paint everything.

mike stenson
10-01-2020, 10:40 AM
The valances on quite a few cars are just held on by clips. I've seen a lot come off just hitting cones doing autocross. I can't recall if a mustang was in that group or not.

Kev Williams
10-01-2020, 2:19 PM
Yes on the valance just held on by clips- new ones cost $20, and that's for BOTH sides...

No, it wasn't a dealer. A local body shop.

As to the trunk lid, there's an entire aftermarket of covers, inserts, overlays, whatever they call them JUST for that center section of the lid. I can get a matching black for $70..

As to the damage up front, there's several ways to fix it, but Chris hits the nail pretty dead center with this:

I'm going 3k. They will crush the labor and want to paint everything.

Here's the itemized and summary pages of the estimate:

Oy...

One of the grit-my-teeth issues is that the estimator INSISTED that the valance/rocker panel be replaced. Told me it MUST be broken. I told him other than a few added scratches that aren't visible it's no different, no broken clip mounts, holes, nothing. And- he said the charge to replace it also included removing it... ummm...http://www.engraver1.com/gifs/thinking.gif But then, I'm under no obligation ;)

Bob Turkovich
10-01-2020, 3:32 PM
Am I reading this right??? This was 100% covered by insurance?????:eek:

OMG are we getting screwed in Michigan!

Kev Williams
10-01-2020, 3:51 PM
Oh HELL no... that's a big typo, probably just by default. I specifically told them this would be out of pocket...

Doug Garson
10-01-2020, 4:32 PM
Am I reading this right??? This was 100% covered by insurance?????:eek:

OMG are we getting screwed in Michigan!
What's the state have to do with it? Up here in BC, liability insurance is purchased from the government run insurance company but I choose to buy my collision and comprehensive (which this would be covered by) from a private company and I can choose zero deductible coverage if I'm willing to pay the higher premium (which I'm not). Even if I bought that coverage from the government, I could choose the deductible level I was willing to pay for.

Bob Turkovich
10-01-2020, 9:11 PM
What's the state have to do with it?

In the US, coverage options/costs can vary from state to state. Michigan is infamous for having high rates due to its no-fault coverage (which recently changed - supposedly for the better). Zero deduction plans have been always been available but they would never cover the deck opening trim panel defect.

Tom M King
10-02-2020, 6:55 PM
Every grit size from 120 up to 3k in 2-2/4" rolls of sandpaper, a set of Durablock sanding blocks, Bondo, or maybe just air dry glazing putty, new variable speed buffer of your brand choice, 3M Perfect-It pads, and sauce for the buffer, Iwata LPH80 spray gun, 3m PPS system, Quart of Duplicolor, or fancier paint, and clearcoat, masking paper and tape, and a few hours work, and you will still keep over half the estimate in your pocket-maybe even 2/3's, and have the best of the best equipment for doing this work left over.

It's not hard work, and I'm sure you can do it. You'll have enough stuff left over to do many more similar jobs. I expect you already have a compressor.

google: how to use guide coat and you will pick up enough tips to know how to prepare a surface for painting.

edited to add: This one has some tips on blending into existing paint that should be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGWVIS7vSE4