PDA

View Full Version : Oops!

Bob Yarbrough
01-01-2006, 12:37 PM
What percentage of your projects do you have at least one OH-%#@^&* on?

Seems like I run about 99%.

JayStPeter
01-01-2006, 1:03 PM
So far my record is perfect :D

Roger Everett
01-01-2006, 1:05 PM
I don't have any. At my age I've already in my past screwed up everything that could posibly be screwed up at least once.
Roger

Tyler Howell
01-01-2006, 1:07 PM
100% have ........what you said.

Rob Millard
01-01-2006, 1:16 PM
I have yet to make a piece of furniture that was perfect. Everyone had something I wish I would have done better or at the least, different. I find the longer I make furniture, the more critical I am of the finished product. The small curly maple desk I finished recently, was a case in point ( photos on this site).
Rob Millard

Jim DeLaney
01-01-2006, 1:22 PM
What percentage of your projects do you have at least one OH-%#@^&* on?

Seems like I run about 99%.

99% is too conservative for me. I'm probably at 110% or more - some of my projects have multiple OH-%#@^&*'s in them.

Ken Shoemaker
01-01-2006, 1:43 PM
Working on one right now... Oh GEZZZZZ I gott'a go!!!!:eek:

Jim Becker
01-01-2006, 3:05 PM
So far my record is perfect

Ya toja...err... me, too. :)

lou sansone
01-01-2006, 3:16 PM
I have yet to make a piece of furniture that was perfect. Everyone had something I wish I would have done better or at the least, different. I find the longer I make furniture, the more critical I am of the finished product. The small curly maple desk I finished recently, was a case in point ( photos on this site).
Rob Millard

I am in the rob camp on this one
lou

Mark Rios
01-01-2006, 3:38 PM
Everything!!! Sometimes I even modify a project to facilitate the mistake. One time I was making a cutting board and by the time I was done it turned out to be a letter opener.

:D :D :D

Don Baer
01-01-2006, 4:12 PM
Can't say that I've ever done any project perfect but I usualy can do a work around and make it look like it was planned...:D

On a side note, I was reading one of my Maloof books and he mentioned that his hard line was a mistake he made while making a chair that after he made it he thought it looked good so he started to incorporate it into his designs...Goes to show you that even a Master Woodworker can make an opps now and then.

Andy Hoyt
01-01-2006, 4:17 PM
Most of my "for compensation" projects have hundreds if not several thousand hand cut pieces. As such, these moments occur with such frightening regularity that I get really nervous when I go through a period of civilized speech. It is indeed the calm before the storm.

Steve Clardy
01-01-2006, 4:57 PM
I'm with Roger.
I've already screwed up about everything that can be.:)

I don't have any more mistakes to make:rolleyes: ;) :)

Peter Pedisich
01-01-2006, 5:12 PM
Every project I make some kind of mistake on.

My brain works like this: take my time and all's well, rush me and oops!

Pete

scott spencer
01-01-2006, 5:16 PM
100% have at least one "Ooops!" in them. ~ 95% of those are salvagable.:rolleyes:

John Bailey
01-01-2006, 6:33 PM
Jim's the only one here that's close. If you are going to add percentages for multiple screw-ups, then I think the honest number is 200-300%. You could probably just say pick your number, because, in my case, I can't count that high.

John

Chris Gregory
01-01-2006, 6:52 PM
Right now I don't even want to talk about it :(

Dave Fifield
01-01-2006, 8:11 PM
Just like most of you guys - pretty much every single one of my projects has at least one oops in it.

On the plus side, I think I've finally cured myself from pointing out all the errors and goofs to people when I show off a piece. Now, I just stand back and let them ooh and aah over how gorgeous it is and simply say "thanks" when they offer praise.

Cheers & Happy New Year all,
Dave Fifield

David Mueller
01-01-2006, 10:38 PM
That's why I live by my sig line :D:D:D:D

scott spencer
01-01-2006, 10:51 PM
Come to think of it....while I get pretty ticked off sometimes when I goof, it's overcoming those mistakes that makes this so much fun! I wonder if I'd stick with it if everything went smoothly everytime? ....:rolleyes:

There's nothing quite like the satisfaction of showing my screw ups who's boss! :D

Chris Dodge
01-01-2006, 11:59 PM
I have never made a mistake, I have only made design changes. : )

Sam Salter
01-02-2006, 1:07 AM
On purchased, massed produced furniture these "oops's" are called flaws.
On my, one-off, hand made projects it's called character!
sam :-)

John F. Gates
01-02-2006, 1:37 AM
Rob, you have got to be kidding me. Your website shows outstanding work. Some of us are still trying to figure out which side of the jointer to send the wood through first!

Nice work. John

Tom Drake
01-02-2006, 5:49 AM
100% have at least one "Ooops!" in them. ~ 95% of those are salvagable.:rolleyes:

Me too. Most of mine are salvageable.

Michael Adelong
01-02-2006, 6:10 AM
Make this a "sticky" thread.

I'll bet a lot of folks give up woodworking prematurely because they think they screw up too much.

I thought all of my screw ups would prevent anything as beautiful as some of the stuff you guys make from coming out of my shop.

Now that I see ya'll are just a bunch of screw ups, I feel like I fit right in... :p

Happy New Year!
Michael

Jeff Borges
01-05-2006, 1:04 AM
amateur woodworkers make mistakes and learn how to fix them along the way...then they become pro's...and know how to fix it ....AGAIN...

and by the way, I haven't made a mistake since the last time....:p

Vaughn McMillan
01-05-2006, 1:42 AM
My comments pretty much mirror what Scott Spencer has said...I think I have at least one "oops" per project, but I derive a certain portion of my enjoyment from overcoming my own mistakes. In a few rare cases, the mistakes (or more exactly, the handling of them) has become one of the better features of the piece.

I'll just be glad when I can get the mistake percentage below 100%. ;)

- Vaughn

Michael Charles
01-05-2006, 1:47 AM
I am perfect.... 100% of the time I have at least one "opps" in every project I do. :eek:

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
01-05-2006, 4:45 AM
I have never made a mistake, I have only made design changes. : )

Chris has got it right, IMHO, this is the way to think about it, how can they be "Mistakes" when the work is an "(insert your name here) Original".

Now if you are following a plan, OK I could see that, but then again, that might be why I NEVER build anything to "plan" :D

Cheers!

Robert Mickley
01-05-2006, 8:21 AM
100% without a doubt, most of the time its something simnple, sometimes it requires making a whole new piece, sometimes you almost have to start over.

Like the freestanding pool cue rack sitting on the saw right now, not enough back angle, the cue sticks don't quite want to stand in it

Dick Bringhurst
01-05-2006, 8:59 AM
Does "OH shucks" count? If so 100 per cent

Jeff Sudmeier
01-05-2006, 9:15 AM
100% enough said... about 50% where it is hidden but I can find it, about 50% where I can hide it so I redo it :)

Bob Oehler
01-05-2006, 11:36 AM
I never have any OH &%*% and never will ( I hope since that would mean blood flowed :( )

I do have an approximatly 99.9%
In Process Modification
rate though :cool:

And just when you think you got it made the 2 most important parts do not line up and or fit together so we go into
P.P.P.A.
Post Primary Production Adjustments

And when your finish does not come out as planed you have a
C.B.F.E.
Character Building Finish Enhancement

Thake care
Bob Oehler

Roger Fitzsimonds
01-05-2006, 1:50 PM
I go along with Dave Fifield, If it were up to me they would be never ending projects. The longer I look at them the more problems I see. I believe the art of the craft is to correct a oops with out detection.

Roger

Travis Porter
01-05-2006, 2:50 PM
All of my mistakes are covered as design intent. 100 percent

Frank Pellow
01-05-2006, 3:06 PM
I am in the rob camp on this one
lou
Me too! I certainly make at leat one mistake on every project. My guess is that I average about three mistakes per project.

Norman Hitt
01-05-2006, 5:51 PM
Just read my Signature Line,..............annnnnnd.......well, you get the idea.;) Of course, I'm now at an age that I can blame it on those durned "Trifocals".:rolleyes:

roy knapp
01-05-2006, 6:10 PM
It was not a OOPS or a mistake it was a ECN (engineering change):rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

john mclane
01-05-2006, 8:27 PM
I want to know if OH-%#@^&* means a banged thumb or fingernail or that ding that "was in the wood before I touched it!!"

for me, in either case it is at least 100% or more if you do count the muliple times.

I am really glad to see there are other out there like that becasue when I took a intermediate course at the local Woodcraft store I sure felt like I was the only one that made mistakes.

It is a hobby I keep repeating.

Mike Whitman
01-05-2006, 9:28 PM
heh, not that I ever do anything without a 'change order'... I think my oops factor is better than most of you. I'm closer to 101% :)
In the same vein as this thread.. You folks ever hear of the 6 P's ?
A friend in the contracting business relayed it to me about 10 yrs ago, and I never forgot it, even though I don't necessarily live it...

Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

:D

(that would make a nice sig, eh ?)