PDA

View Full Version : An older Delta scroll saw ok?

dennis thompson
09-30-2020, 11:21 AM
There is an older Delta scroll saw on Craigslist.
Is this a decent saw, I don't have a model #?
Is $75 a reasonable price?
Thanks

Stephen Rosenthal
09-30-2020, 11:51 AM
Dennis,

Photos or a link to ad would help. I have a Delta 1200 from the late 30s in perfect condition, good old American iron. One caveat: it’s quite different from modern iterations (Hegner, Dewalt, Excalibur, etc.) of the scroll saw, so it really depends on what you intend to use it for. It’s a good price if the saw is in good shape.

Mike Henderson
09-30-2020, 12:19 PM
The old scroll saws had a powered "arm" at the bottom of the blade. At the top, there was a spring attached to the blade clamp. The bottom "arm" pulled the blade down and the spring pulled it back up. The Delta 1200 that Stephen mentioned above is that kind of saw. Note that most of those older scroll saws do not have a speed control - they have step pulleys to change the speed and that only gives you maybe four speeds. I think some of them only had step adjustments for blade tension, also, rather than continuous tension adjustment like newer design saws.

I don't have any personal experience with that type of saw but other scroll saw users tell me that they experienced higher blade breakage on those setups than on modern two arm scroll saws. Note that no one makes scroll saws in that design any more.

One thing about those old saws is that they are very cheap on the used market. Personally, I'd look for a more modern scroll saw. I checked Craigslist yesterday and there were quite a number of scroll saws for sale at fairly low prices. A scroll saw is not a tool that many woodworkers purchase so they're hard to sell on the used market - and therefore the prices are fairly low.

I just sold an older 18" Hegner (a very good name) scroll saw for $375 and was happy to get that. New, it's about $1,400.

Mike

Richard Coers
09-30-2020, 1:43 PM
Okay for what? There is absolutely no comparison between the way old/cheap machines work in comparison to newer styles. Blades changes are tool less on new styles, blade tension is much higher, and almost no vibration on new style machines. Both will cut, but the new styles are high quality and a pleasure to use. With what you provided, I'd have to say it is not okay.

Bill Dufour
09-30-2020, 1:51 PM
One advantage of the old style is you can remove the upper arm and have infinite depth of cut. Just attach the spring to the ceiling or a tree branch.
Bill D

Dave Cav
09-30-2020, 2:37 PM
What Richard said. I had a very nice 24" Delta from the late 30s which I had tuned up and used occasionally. Then an RBI Hawk showed up on CL at a price too good to pass up. I eventually gave the Delta away.

Thomas Wilson
09-30-2020, 2:37 PM
I have the Delta 40-560 16” inch. It is parallelogram design. It is good for small pieces. I have no idea about prices.

Christopher Herzog
09-30-2020, 3:12 PM
We had an old mom and pop tool shop. Leonard always loved the old stuff but would warn you. If they ever break down parts are an issue. I will usually take my chances for a made in the USA. Something that should be considered in the price.

Mike Henderson
09-30-2020, 4:14 PM
One advantage of the old style is you can remove the upper arm and have infinite depth of cut. Just attach the spring to the ceiling or a tree branch.
Bill D

But you'd need an infinitely long saw blade. Do they make those?:)

Mike

Stephen Rosenthal
09-30-2020, 4:47 PM
Note that most of those older scroll saws do not have a speed control - they have step pulleys to change the speed and that only gives you maybe four speeds. I think some of them only had step adjustments for blade tension, also, rather than continuous tension adjustment like newer design saws.

I don't have any personal experience with that type of saw but other scroll saw users tell me that they experienced higher blade breakage on those setups than on modern two arm scroll saws. Note that no one makes scroll saws in that design any more.

Mike

As Mike noted, my saw has a step pulley allowing me 4 speed adjustments. I also have an aftermarket foot pedal for speed control. I’ve never had an issue with blade breakage, but I don’t use the ultra thin blades that are used in marquetry.

As I mentioned, it really depends on what you intend to use it for. The older saws are perfectly fine for general use (cutting curves, removing dovetail waste, etc.); for marquetry I’d opt for a more current one.

Btw, if it’s a Delta, Rockwell or Powermatic with the original retirement lamp, the lamp alone is worth at least $75. Add another $50-75 if it’s on an original stand.

Bill Space
09-30-2020, 4:57 PM
As Mike noted, my saw has a step pulley allowing me 4 speed adjustments. I also have an aftermarket foot pedal for speed control. I’ve never had an issue with blade breakage, but I don’t use the ultra thin blades that are used in marquetry.

As I mentioned, it really depends on what you intend to use it for. The older saws are perfectly fine for general use (cutting curves, removing dovetail waste, etc.); for marquetry I’d opt for a more current one.

Btw, if it’s a Delta, Rockwell or Powermatic with the original retirement lamp, the lamp alone is worth at least $75. Add another $50-75 if it’s on an original stand.

Thanks for the value information. I have a 24" Delta with the original light and original stand that I bought cause I always wanted one, but never use it so I am thinking of getting rid of it and saving the space. So if I advertise it for $100 and take $80 perhaps I will get rid of it easily...

Stephen Rosenthal
09-30-2020, 6:52 PM
Thanks for the value information. I have a 24" Delta with the original light and original stand that I bought cause I always wanted one, but never use it so I am thinking of getting rid of it and saving the space. So if I advertise it for $100 and take $80 perhaps I will get rid of it easily...

That would be a steal.

John K Jordan
09-30-2020, 8:46 PM
There is an older Delta scroll saw on Craigslist.
Is this a decent saw, I don't have a model #?
Is $75 a reasonable price?
Thanks

I had an older Delta scroll saw with a stand, actually still have it in the barn loft. I think I paid $25 for it at a yard sale and it was barely worth it - I made a number of things with it but the vibration was horrible due to the way it moved the arm. It also had not been taken care of. I have an Excalibur now and there is no comparison but the price is correspondingly high.

But the Delta may be worth having if you are patient and don't plan to use it a lot it will certainly cut wood, especially thin wood. If you hope to use it a lot, my suggestion is save up for a better saw if possible.

JKJ

Stephen Rosenthal
09-30-2020, 9:12 PM
I had an older Delta scroll saw with a stand, actually still have it in the barn loft. I think I paid $25 for it at a yard sale and it was barely worth it - I made a number of things with it but the vibration was horrible due to the way it moved the arm. It also had not been taken care of. I have an Excalibur now and there is no comparison but the price is correspondingly high.

JKJ

That’s not the 1200 or the other older industrial type Deltas from the ‘30s-‘50s. First the arm is stationary - only the blade moves, from the bottom as Mike noted. They are solid cast iron weighing 100+ pounds. My saw is precisely tuned and can pass the nickel test. With the correct blade it cuts 4/4 hardwood. I guess the only way to evaluate the saw the OP inquired about is with a photo and model #.

Bill Dufour
09-30-2020, 10:20 PM
But you'd need an infinitely long saw blade. Do they make those?:)

Mike

I said depth of cut, not thickness. So you just need a rope long enough to reach the ceiling minus the spring length.
Bill D

Mike Henderson
10-01-2020, 12:06 AM
I said depth of cut, not thickness. So you just need a rope long enough to reach the ceiling minus the spring length.
Bill D

Well if you're talking about the length of the cut, you don't need to attach the spring to the ceiling. It's only when you want to cut thicker wood than can fit under the upper arm that you'd need to remove the upper arm. And then you'd need a longer blade.

Depth of cut, to me, is the thickness of the wood you're going to cut, and that's the only reason for removing the upper arm.

Mike

Bill Dufour
10-01-2020, 12:54 AM
What I meant is if you want to cut a hole in the middle of a 4x8 sheet of plywood the arm may get in the way. Of course you still have to drill a small clearance hole to thread the blade in to start the cut. Same idea is used for selling drill presses with no table. They are designed to hang from the ceiling over a customer supplied table or just a big workpiece.
Bil lD

Mike Henderson
10-01-2020, 1:56 PM
What I meant is if you want to cut a hole in the middle of a 4x8 sheet of plywood the arm may get in the way. Of course you still have to drill a small clearance hole to thread the blade in to start the cut. Same idea is used for selling drill presses with no table. They are designed to hang from the ceiling over a customer supplied table or just a big workpiece.
Bil lD

I don't want to beat this to death, but if you're cutting plywood, wouldn't a jig saw be a better tool?

Mike

[For marquetry, there was a rig for cutting the center of large projects. I think the American School of French Marquetry in San Diego has one. I don't know a lot of the details but it consists of attaching something to the ceiling to drive a cutting blade. They're focused on hand operation so I don't know how the saw is moved.]

dennis thompson
10-02-2020, 7:31 AM
So I bought the Delta scroll saw, it's an SS 350 LS model and ,so far, seems to work ok except for the blower. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks

Mike Henderson
10-02-2020, 3:46 PM
So I bought the Delta scroll saw, it's an SS 350 LS model and ,so far, seems to work ok except for the blower. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks

That's really not an old scroll saw - that one is fairly modern. However, taking a look at it on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/SS350LS-Shopmaster-Deluxe-16-Inch-Benchtop/dp/B0001VNRGC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8), it doesn't get the best reviews.

Mike

Ron Citerone
10-02-2020, 3:58 PM
I had them when I first started teaching Middle School Industrial Arts. They served a purpose but I would not want one with what is out there now. Unless you want it for nostalgia, walk away! My 2 pennies.

Bill Dufour
10-02-2020, 5:29 PM
I do not think portable jigsaws had been invented yet when those spring scroll saws were being made. You are correct it is a tool that has been replaced by better designs.
Bill D

On edit; 1947 power jigsaw invented. The spring ones were old fashioned by world war two or so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jigsaw_(tool)

dennis thompson
10-02-2020, 8:20 PM
That's really not an old scroll saw - that one is fairly modern. However, taking a look at it on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/SS350LS-Shopmaster-Deluxe-16-Inch-Benchtop/dp/B0001VNRGC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8), it doesn't get the best reviews.

Mike

Well I used it some today and it seems ok so far. It accepts and holds pinless blades, that was mainly what I was looking for. I know Delta parts aren't available so that's a concern. I only paid $70 for it, if it dies it won't be the first $70 I wasted on tools☺. I put the Ridgid on Craigslist for $75, I don't expect people to be beating down my doors for it.