PDA

View Full Version : New plane

Rob Lee
09-22-2020, 10:12 AM
...No.... not from us (yet)....but one I ordered a couple of years ago. No pics - as I don't have it yet.....but will post when it shows up.

What really makes this plane special is the story (besides being an excellent plane). It's made by Konrad Sauer, and is a 1 1/2 wide infill shoulder plane. The story is really about the infill....

Alexander Muir was three years old when he emigrated from Scotland, to Toronto Ontario in 1833. He grew up in the Toronto area, and went to Queens College in Kingston ON (now Queens University) and returned to Toronto where he was a teacher, songwriter, poet, and soldier in the The Queen's Own Rifles of Canada. He fought at the battle of Ridgeway shortly before our confederation - the first action for an all-Canadian military unit.

In 1867 - the year of confederation, he wrote "the Maple Leaf Forever", inspired by a large maple tree on his street, in front of Maple Cottage. For many years, the song was considered to be the unofficial national anthem of Canada: "O Canada" was not written until 1880, and only adopted as our official national anthem in 1980.

In July of 2013 - a windstorm took out the maple tree that was the inspiration for for Muir. https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/07/19/tree_tied_to_canadian_history_tumbles_in_toronto.h tml The wood was harvested, and used to make culturally significant objects, such as the the Speakers podium for Toronto City Council, the Gavel for the Supreme Court of Canada, and the Maple Leaf Guitars (an electric, and an acoustic) custodianship of which are awarded annually to Canadian musicians. The first custodians (2016) were Colin Cripps of Blue Rodeo (acoustic) and Paul Langlois of the Tragically Hip (electric).

So, Konrad was able to get his hands on a chunk of wood from the tree (I believe from one of the Guitarmakers ). He had the maple dyed red (of course!) - and that's what the infills of the two bookmatched shoulder planes he made are from.

Even though silver maple wood is not so prized (that's being charitable) - the finished product is spectacular - red with a white stripe running through the wedge and infill....

Hopefully - he'll post his work to his website, as I will only have one of the planes. The pair should really been seen together to appreciate the mastery involved with Konrad's work....

Can't wait for the box to arrive!

Cheers -

Rob

Howard Pollack
09-22-2020, 11:09 AM
Please keep us informed and post a picture of the plane when it arrives. I'm sure that it will be a pleasure to own/use. -Howard

Dave Anderson NH
09-22-2020, 11:11 AM
Looking forward to the pix Rob.

David Publicover
09-22-2020, 11:33 AM
That’s a great story! I’m looking forward to the pictures.

bill epstein
09-22-2020, 11:52 AM
One sure doesn't learn about the Fenian Raiders in American schools, I had to Google the battle.

lowell holmes
09-22-2020, 12:02 PM
Rob knows how to plant a seed and harvest it when the product is released.

Stephen Rosenthal
09-22-2020, 12:18 PM
I’m surprised that Joni Mitchell and Neil Young were not the initial honorary custodians of the respective Maple Leaf Guitars. But I’m a dinosaur, so what do I know.

Steve Voigt
09-22-2020, 3:25 PM
Cool story, Rob!
Konrad has already posted a bunch of pics of these planes on his Instagram feed. Just look up Sauer and Steiner on the app.

Rob Luter
09-22-2020, 4:09 PM
A nice photo essay on the planes here: http://sauerandsteiner.blogspot.com/

Jim Koepke
09-22-2020, 5:53 PM
A nice photo essay on the planes here: http://sauerandsteiner.blogspot.com/

Thanks for posting this Rob. An interesting slice of history with an amazing end.

jtk

Les Groeller
09-22-2020, 6:13 PM
I’m surprised that Joni Mitchell and Neil Young were not the initial honorary custodians of the respective Maple Leaf Guitars. But I’m a dinosaur, so what do I know.

Apologies for the following statement if it high jacks the thread but Neil Young is persona non grata in some (western) parts of the great country of Canada...😳!

Stephen Rosenthal
09-22-2020, 7:36 PM
Apologies for the following statement if it high jacks the thread but Neil Young is persona non grata in some (western) parts of the great country of Canada...😳!

Just a hunch, but I believe the Maple Leaf Guitars are awarded for musical contributions, not political stances.

Jim Matthews
09-23-2020, 8:10 AM
Even though silver maple wood is not so prized (that's being charitable) - the finished product is spectacular - red with a white stripe running through the wedge and infill....

Hopefully - he'll post his work to his website, as I will only have one of the planes. The pair should really been seen together to appreciate the mastery involved with Konrad's work....

Can't wait for the box to arrive!

Cheers -

Rob

We're "dyeing" to see it in action.

Derek Cohen
09-23-2020, 8:50 AM
We're "dyeing" to see it in action.

<groan> :D

Rob, perhaps we may see some red handles appearing on Veritas Planes to commemorate Canada Day?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jeff Ranck
09-23-2020, 9:22 AM
That is a great story and I can't wait to see the planes.

Jeff Ranck
09-23-2020, 9:26 AM
Just read the article and the planes are beautiful!

Aaron Rosenthal
09-23-2020, 4:37 PM
So, Rob, now that you have a spectacular infill plane on the way for your collection (I obviously spend too much money there...) when can we expect the new line of Veritas infill smoothers?

Rob Lee
09-25-2020, 10:52 AM
So, Rob, now that you have a spectacular infill plane on the way for your collection (I obviously spend too much money there...) when can we expect the new line of Veritas infill smoothers?

Hi Aaron,

We’ve designed infills already, but I don’t think we’ll ever make them...they really rely on a craftsperson to fit and assemble. It is likely that we’ll do something with wooden planes though....maybe hollows and rounds, snipes bills, and a few others.

The next planes coming are the return of the NX60, and a bevel-up #1 (Christmas).

We have a lot of exciting new items coming, or close. Staffing and capacity are still a challenge though, as we structure to keep our staff safe during the pandemic.

Cheers,

Rob

Andrew Pitonyak
09-25-2020, 2:10 PM
perhaps we may see some red handles appearing on Veritas Planes to commemorate Canada Day?

Will any of those handles be shaped like a hockey stick?

Curt Putnam
09-25-2020, 9:52 PM
Hi Aaron,

We’ve designed infills already, but I don’t think we’ll ever make them...they really rely on a craftsperson to fit and assemble. It is likely that we’ll do something with wooden planes though....maybe hollows and rounds, snipes bills, and a few others.

The next planes coming are the return of the NX60, and a bevel-up #1 (Christmas).

We have a lot of exciting new items coming, or close. Staffing and capacity are still a challenge though, as we structure to keep our staff safe during the pandemic.

Cheers,

Rob

OK! The thought of H & Rs from Veritas/LV has my mouth watering. Torrified maple?

john zulu
09-28-2020, 11:16 AM
Hi Aaron,

Cheers,

Rob

Oh no...... I waited and waited. Only have DX 60. Now a newer plane #1....... How to explain christmas presents........

Rob Lee
09-28-2020, 11:26 AM
Oh no...... I waited and waited. Only have DX 60. Now a newer plane #1....... How to explain christmas presents........
John -

That's easy..... just think of the money we're all saving by not travelling. Why - my insurance company just sent me a rebate check on auto insurance in recognition of reduced driving during the pandemic.....a whopping $13!

Cheers -

Rob

Will Blick
09-29-2020, 4:13 PM
Rob, awesome looking planes... I am curious of your opinion when you use them...
or will they just sit on your shelf? ;)
I can fully understand why you stay with your machined metal planes...
they do the job so well, and yet remain cost competitive.
The mastery of wood is one thing...
but the mastery of wood and metal together is soooo artistic....
I have seen the two combined in furniture as well, and its just as striking...

Dave Beauchesne
09-29-2020, 4:20 PM
I have seen the planes Rob mentioned on Konrad's Instagram feed; his mastery is to die for. As a Canadian, a wonderful and fitting way to pay tribute to an iconic piece of Canadian history.
I wondered where they would end up - Now I know where at least one will reside. Fitting, for another Canadian icon, Lee Valley.

Dave B

Rob Lee
10-02-2020, 5:03 PM
Rob, awesome looking planes... I am curious of your opinion when you use them...
or will they just sit on your shelf? ;)
I can fully understand why you stay with your machined metal planes...
they do the job so well, and yet remain cost competitive.
The mastery of wood is one thing...
but the mastery of wood and metal together is soooo artistic....
I have seen the two combined in furniture as well, and its just as striking...

Hi Will,

Yes, I’ll use it. I’ve decided that each grandchild will inherit one of Konrad’s planes when I’m gone. So far, I have three planes ( and 2.77 grandchildren :D ), so I’m a bit ahead. Konrad’s planes take longer than kids, so the order’s in for the next one already.....(plane, that is...).

Really, they are functional works of art.

Cheers,

Rob

Jim Matthews
10-02-2020, 5:20 PM
Konrad’s planes take longer than kids, so the order’s in for the next one already.....(plane, that is...).
Rob

While most anyone can make a kid, it seems many think they're exceptionally clever for having done so.

All it takes is a few cold nights without hockey.

9 months after each All-star break, like clockwork...

Rob Lee
10-02-2020, 5:34 PM
While most anyone can make a kid, it seems many think they're exceptionally clever for having done so.

All it takes is a few cold nights without hockey.

9 months after each All-star break, like clockwork...

As far as I know, no one’s ever made a plane by accident either.....

mike stenson
10-02-2020, 5:37 PM
As far as I know, no one’s ever made a plane by accident either.....

We prefer "surprise plane" oh wait...

Mike Allen1010
10-02-2020, 7:36 PM
Hi Aaron,

Cheers,

Rob

Rob, I too am eagerly waiting with credit card in and for your hollows and rounds. It will be a tremendous experience to use a molding plane with a modern steel blade well fitted to the body – can't wait!

What it's worth, I put in my vote for a panel raising plane – maybe something with the curved blade profile? For me, frame and panel construction is a staple of my hand tool projects and being able to create raised panels, with unique curved profile with a hand plane would be awesome. I try couple shop built models with a zero success – tough to shape the blade to match his sole profile – too much grinding for me. Would love to see what you and your wizards could do.

Cheers, Mike

Neil Gaskin
10-06-2020, 9:12 PM
I’m very glad to here you are bringing back the nx60. I have the dx and it’s turned into my go to block plane. It just fits the hand perfectly.

I probably have at least a dozen block planes not sure how I’m going to justify another but I guess I’ll go with I want it?

lowell holmes
10-08-2020, 9:35 AM
Rob,
Quit teasing us and post a picture at least.

Will Blick
10-08-2020, 11:55 AM
Rob, I know this is not a wish list thread....
but my wish is, you make a MUCH longer edge iron plane.
While I love the 3 I own,

1) they are too small for average hands, you easily to get your hands cut on a wood corner when END grain planing
2) They are not long enough to get a good reference when EDGE grain planing a board 4"+...

I would double the width of the plane, and IMO, it would be much more useful for END grain.

A 2nd request, 4x longer you and you can do some EDGE work. and this plane would be highly useful and a new LV innovation in hand planes. This edge plane would be an inverse of your wonder shooting plane.

Rob Lee
10-09-2020, 11:16 AM
Rob,
Quit teasing us and post a picture at least.

Hi Lowell,

Will do sometime next week....working from the cottage as much as possible before we have to close it up. Still working remotely, so have not been in the shop for awhile....that will change pretty soon!

Cheers,

Rob

Rob Lee
10-09-2020, 11:22 AM
Hi Will,

An interesting take....I have seen longer wood edge trimming planes, but not cast ones.

Most manufacturers have historically offered fences of various types for this function (as we have). Weight has got to be an issue here...

I certainly think it’s worth a look....

Cheers,

Rob

Thomas Wilson
10-09-2020, 12:23 PM
Hi Lowell,

Will do sometime next week....working from the cottage as much as possible before we have to close it up. Still working remotely, so have not been in the shop for awhile....that will change pretty soon!

Cheers,

Rob

Makes me wonder why you don’t specialize in fishing gear too.

Rob Lee
10-09-2020, 12:38 PM
Makes me wonder why you don’t specialize in fishing gear too.

Well.....I have been known to do a bit of trolling.....;)

Thomas Wilson
10-09-2020, 1:18 PM
Ha! You have a spectacular view.

Jim Matthews
10-09-2020, 2:02 PM

Okay, now that we're hooked...

J. Greg Jones
10-09-2020, 6:01 PM
Will do sometime next week....working from the cottage as much as possible before we have to close it up...
Spectacular view Robin! It would be hard to leave that... until it is cold!

Will Blick
10-16-2020, 3:15 AM
> Most manufacturers have historically offered fences of various types for this function (as we have). Weight has got to be an issue here...

Rob, I own every plane fence you make. They are good for angles, if you are VERY CAREFUL. For the commonplace 90 deg, nothing beats grabbing a fixed metal plane that is always reliable. No fussing trying to get a fence to a perfect 90 on both ends and it not slipping a tiny bit during planning. (sorry, but that is the reality of using them)

Considering how light weight your edge plans are, putting 3 of them together, would still be very light weight. Since its only for edges of standard size boards, 1 inch or less it can prob. use the same blades you currently use. Count me in for a left n right version if you make them. The ones you make now are only really useful for end grain, as they have such limited length. This length of reference is not useful for a 2- 4ft board. 20" plane length would be an ideal target IMO!
I would love to come out of my power jointer, and make one swipe with this long edge plane to clean it up... DONE. It would get a LOT of use for me, and prob. many others.