PDA

View Full Version : Jet Spindle sander

Greg Jurrens
01-01-2006, 12:43 AM
Does anybody know how to get a sanding sleeve over the rubber spindle easily. I have tried putting the rubber in the freezer for a few hours but it doesn't seem to help much. Any help would be much appreciated.

Jay T. Marlin
01-01-2006, 12:46 AM
Did you loosen the nut that clamps the washer down on the rubber drum?

Greg Jurrens
01-01-2006, 1:02 AM
Yes I have taken the nut and washer off and have also slid out the steel spindle.

Keith Weber
01-01-2006, 4:39 AM
Greg,

I don't have one of those, so my guess is purely hypothetical. When you try to push something not rigid like a rubber drum through a sanding sleeve, the act of pushing would theoretically expand the rubber if it was somewhat tight. This would work against the intended outcome. If I were you, I would try to pull it through the sleeve with a shopvac. Just try not to suck it right through and down the hose. If you try it and it works, let me know.

Keith

Keith Outten
01-01-2006, 9:44 AM
Greg,

I own the Jet Spindle sander and mine is a snap to change the paper. I suspect that you have some kind of mechanical problem. When I loosen the nut the sandpaper slides right off without effort. Maybe the rubber drum on your sander is out of spec or there is some kind of contaminate on the surface that is sticking the paper to the rubber surface. I would carefully cut the old paper off of the drum and inspect the rubber surface. Then while you have it in your hand try sliding a new sanding drum over the rubber sleave to check the fit.

Gene Boomer
01-01-2006, 9:50 AM
I've had same problem with my State spindle sander. I try to gently turn the sleeve as I push it down on the rubber which generally works. If I get one that is really stubborn, I put baby powder on the rubber sleeve which has also worked for me. Good luck.

Mark Singer
01-01-2006, 9:56 AM
I have the Jet....I can't remember a problem. Sometimes a little babby powder will help. Are the replacement sleeves Jet , klingspoor, other?

Greg Jurrens
01-02-2006, 4:18 PM
I'll try some baby powder to see if that helps. As for the brand of the sleeves I think that they are "other". What brand of sleeves are you using?

tod evans
01-02-2006, 4:23 PM
try simply rolling the rubber on a solid surface with heavy hand pressure, this works on 99% of the sleaved sanders i`ve used......02 tod