PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Recents

Thomas Wilson80
09-21-2020, 10:19 AM
This vase is from a neighbor’s black walnut tree that recently came down in a storm. It is 8x5” and finished with Watco Danish oil. Not sure I love the very top piece of the lid (though it looks more prominent in the photo). It is for a friend who loves the ampersand symbol for some reason, so I tried burning on the underside of the lid - didn’t turn out as clean as I’d hoped, but that’s okay.

This little box is 3x2” and made from unknown type of wood from my scrap box. Finished with beeswax.

Comments and critiques are welcome,
Thanks, Tom

Dave Mount
09-21-2020, 4:43 PM
Nice work!

I'm a huge fan of including the sapwood of walnut in turnings. Pic below is a green rough-out of a vase shape made possible on a relatively small diameter walnut blank by a lump on one side of the log, a grown over limb. I'll have to look for a picture of the finished turning. Point is that I like the contrast and organic shape created by the sapwood. One of those cases where I "cut away everything that didn't look like a bowl" and ended up with a shape I don't usually turn, but ended up liking.

My how time flies. . .my lathe turned yellow quite a few years ago. . .

Best,

Dave

David Walser
09-22-2020, 2:22 AM
Tom -- I really like both turnings and would have been proud to have turned them. The heartwood of the black walnut vase is very dark. From the picture, it appears that the wood burning produced little in the way of contrast. I wonder if the ampersand would 'pop' more if you were to fill it with a contrasting color using Rub-N-Buff or something similar.

Thomas Wilson80
09-22-2020, 1:56 PM
Thanks for the comments.

David, I wasn't familiar with Rub-N-Buff but after checking it out will definitely have to try it! I think that could greatly enhance the detail.

Thanks,
Tom