PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable routers R.I.P ?

Dave Sabo
09-19-2020, 10:25 PM
Heard a rumor that was confirmed , but not verified that SBD has pulled the plug on Porter Cable routers. Stock is low or out at many retailers, and some sites have removed the brand’s routers altogether.

I’ve got a query into SBD, but don’t expect to hear anything meaningful , or for months.

If anyone has any knowledge, feel free to share.

Bob Jones 5443
09-19-2020, 11:38 PM
Shame. I have three, all running beautifully. One is from the USA construction era, the other two hecho in México.

Maybe the current offerings outperform the PCs? I suppose I'd like mine more if they had effective dust collection when used hand-held, the way many recent products do. In the table it doesn't matter. I keep saying I'm going to modify my plunge router to attach a dust hose, but then I just pull it off the shelf to use it and put it back after the job. And after sucking up a mountain of chips. Someday, maybe.

This means if my routers ever kick the bucket I'll need to replace them with a contemporary unit. Could be worse, I guess. It was ever thus. Even with the Bailey-pattern planes after about 60 years. I think the real news here is Stanley Black and Decker, the parent since 2010, could not maintain the Porter Cable brand identity, and that is lamentable.

Maybe the in-stock PCs will go on deep sale?

Tom Bain
09-20-2020, 8:29 AM
If that’s true, it might be time to purchase a back-up 7518 for my router table. That is one I wouldn’t want to be without.

Jim Dwight
09-20-2020, 8:50 AM
I bought a 75182 a couple months ago, no issue with stock. I've looked a bit at the mid sized combo set and it is out of stock. But the fixed base from that set was in stock each time I looked. But I really don't need another mid sized, I have two PC 690s. But the current model mid sized has dust collection in the plunge base. I would be a little sad if they went away but there are lots of good routers.

Curt Harms
09-20-2020, 9:36 AM
Shame. I have three, all running beautifully. One is from the USA construction era, the other two hecho in México.

Maybe the current offerings outperform the PCs? I suppose I'd like mine more if they had effective dust collection when used hand-held, the way many recent products do. In the table it doesn't matter. I keep saying I'm going to modify my plunge router to attach a dust hose, but then I just pull it off the shelf to use it and put it back after the job. And after sucking up a mountain of chips. Someday, maybe.

This means if my routers ever kick the bucket I'll need to replace them with a contemporary unit. Could be worse, I guess. It was ever thus. Even with the Bailey-pattern planes after about 60 years. I think the real news here is Stanley Black and Decker, the parent since 2010, could not maintain the Porter Cable brand identity, and that is lamentable.

Maybe the in-stock PCs will go on deep sale?

My question is do they WANT to maintain the Porter Cable brand identity? I just went on Amazon and looked at Porter Cable and DeWalt routers. Porter Cable was mostly offered by 3rd party sellers and the prices were 2X or 3X what I'd expect. Plenty of DeWalt routers for reasonable prices.

mike stenson
09-20-2020, 9:55 AM
My question is do they WANT to maintain the Porter Cable brand identity?

I don't think so. They've clearly started to position it as one of their budget brands.

Osvaldo Cristo
09-20-2020, 10:24 AM
I purchased my first router in the 1980s, a made-in-Japan Hitachi plunge model - I think it was TR-12 (or similar).

My first "light router" was made-in-US model 690 also in the past millennium. It was the smallest router I found that could handle both 1/4" as well 1/2" bits. This one is yet in my workshop although as "technical reserve" as it is not used any more replaced by a small Makita and a couple of bigger Bosch. It is very well constructed and the single maintenance required was the protection rubber sleeve protecting the power cable in the router body. I couldn´t find a such sleeve from PC, I used one from DeWalt and it fitted as the OEM stuff.

I also have a made-in-US Porter Cable "heavy duty" drill, also from past century, I eventually use.

I do not know about the newer tools from them manufactured outside the US but I can state the ones I have present great quality and reliability, so I am sorry if that is true. We will lost a very good router manufacturer option.

Heard a rumor that was confirmed , but not verified that SBD has pulled the plug on Porter Cable routers. Stock is low or out at many retailers, and some sites have removed the brand’s routers altogether.

I’ve got a query into SBD, but don’t expect to hear anything meaningful , or for months.

If anyone has any knowledge, feel free to share.

Jim Becker
09-20-2020, 11:32 AM
Having so many brand names for similar products has got to be a real juggling act for SBD at this point...'kinda like what General Motors has faced over the years. If it is true that they are taking down the PC brand, it's likely because they have too much on the plate to financially justify keeping it around. And given they took on Craftsman...

Here are all their brands currently...PC is still listed

https://www.stanleyblackanddecker.com/our-businesses/our-brands

Doug Dawson
09-20-2020, 11:41 AM
If that’s true, it might be time to purchase a back-up 7518 for my router table. That is one I wouldn’t want to be without.

Right now it's selling for $680 on amazon (and on the PC web site,) so it's probably time to look at other brands, maybe the bigger Makita motor.

Jim Becker
09-20-2020, 12:06 PM
Right now it's selling for $680 on amazon (and on the PC web site,) so it's probably time to look at other brands, maybe the bigger Makita motor.

I believe that Milwaukee has a "direct replacement" router motor relative to fit in lifts, etc., if it's still in their line.

Dave Sabo
09-20-2020, 12:08 PM
Having so many brand names for similar products has got to be a real juggling act for SBD at this point...'kinda like what General Motors has faced over the years. If it is true that they are taking down the PC brand, it's likely because they have too much on the plate to financially justify keeping it around. And given they took on Craftsman...

Here are all their brands currently...PC is still listed

https://www.stanleyblackanddecker.com/our-businesses/our-brands

I didn't hear the brand was going away, only the routers. And based on the corp. propaganda this would seem correct. If you try an buy one on their website's links to vendors , ALL are unavailable.

Jim Becker
09-20-2020, 12:11 PM
Makes sense. Dave. Sorry if I misinterpreted.

glenn bradley
09-20-2020, 12:18 PM
IIRC the PC 7518 motor diameter is 4.2" and the Milwaukee 5625 is 4.14". Some laminate, plastic or brass sheet, even foil tape, as a shim and you would be good if it comes to that. My lifts are made for the 5625's so they drop right in. This is why I get that you might want the same motor (I have spare 5625's) so I would be quick like a bunny on the used sites before the prices shoot up for these 'vintage' or 'hard to get' units. Good luck.

Mitchell Garnett
09-20-2020, 12:25 PM
2020 is the gift that keeps on giving. My PC routers range from late 1940 to early 90s. If I was 20 years younger I'd figure out a contingency plan but at 71, I think I can live with whatever happens. FWIW, my have a Bosch Colt that has been a fine product and a Ridgid 18v router that seems okay but it hasn't had a major workout (and likely never will).

Dick Mahany
09-20-2020, 12:50 PM
IIRC the PC 7518 motor diameter is 4.2" and the Milwaukee 5625 is 4.14". Some laminate, plastic or brass sheet, even foil tape, as a shim and you would be good if it comes to that. My lifts are made for the 5625's so they drop right in. This is why I get that you might want the same motor (I have spare 5625's) so I would be quick like a bunny on the used sites before the prices shoot up for these 'vintage' or 'hard to get' units. Good luck.

The Milwaukee and PC diameters are different as posted above. Below is one of the first PRLV2 router lifts (re-branded for Woodcraft as "Pinnacle" ) and I had to use plastic shim stock on the PC7518 mount for my Milwaukee 5625 motor. About a year after that, Woodpeckers introduced the slightly smaller diameter mount for the Milwaukee as an option.

Bob Jones 5443
09-20-2020, 1:05 PM
There’s a vote in favor of an adjustable lift, like the JessEm/Incra.

Clifford McGuire
09-20-2020, 3:24 PM
I wonder how many 690's (and various permutations) have been sold over the years?

It's been a remarkable run.

Alex Zeller
09-20-2020, 4:52 PM
It's kind of like Bosch. When they went to their newer MRC23 line of routers they took themselves out of the router lift market. Moving the trigger to the grip has it's advantages but the contact strip on the side of the router head wasn't thought out.

I'm sure on paper this move makes sense but it doesn't take in account the people who like to stick with a brand they had good luck with. My first (and still have) PC tool was a ROS. It's basically a 4 1/2" grinder with a random orbital head on it. I've had it for at least 3 decades and it's sanded everything from body filler to wood. The only issue I've had is that the foam pad rotted away. It was easy to find a replacement. If I needed to buy a router for a lift it would be at the top of my list. Clearly no longer the case. But routers are one of those things that seam to multiply in my shop. My luck with DeWalt has been mixed so I most likely would look at Milwaukee as my next choice.

John Stankus
09-20-2020, 5:03 PM

Doesn't this assume that all the routers in the line will go away? I would think the ones that hit a specific market space might be rebranded. I know that some of the Dewalt routers were recolored Elu's. It seems the 7518 might be one that gets moved over to another brand. And aren't some of there tool models sold in both P-C and Dewalt livery?

John

Dave Sabo
09-20-2020, 5:09 PM
The 7518/9 would seem to fill a hole in the DeWalt lineup. So maybe.

The only yellow and grey/black tools I can think are remotely similar are the palm router.

Patrick Curry
09-20-2020, 6:20 PM
A reputable retailer I bought a lift from about a month ago told me the same when I was asking about larger routers. They carried PC and this guy seemed to be in the know on things.

Tom Bain
09-20-2020, 9:12 PM
Doesn't this assume that all the routers in the line will go away? I would think the ones that hit a specific market space might be rebranded. I know that some of the Dewalt routers were recolored Elu's. It seems the 7518 might be one that gets moved over to another brand. And aren't some of there tool models sold in both P-C and Dewalt livery?

John

I certainly hope so. Dewalt was smart enough to realize the Elu was a great plunge router and became the DW621, which is my favorite/go-to plunge. Hopefully, they get it with the 7518, as well.

Curt Harms
09-21-2020, 10:12 AM
Porter-Cable's 89X routers haven't been as popular as their 690 line. I have a fixed/plunge base 89X and it feels kind of awkward and top heavy. The dust collecting handle helps but it's still pretty tall. Then they had a router with significant switch/variable speed issues - 7529 or something like that? So their recent routers have not been best of breed. Plus Black & Decker bought Porter-Cable, Porter-Cable didn't buy DeWalt. Sometimes it seems like that matters as to which name survives.

Warren Lake
09-21-2020, 10:45 AM
have three 75182 and one plunge one and two laminate trimmers. Three 75182 got used hard for many years and they still work well. My original cheap router had the on and off switch in the handle which I liked better but the 75182's got left on for hours as they were used rather than on and off. No complaints. I taped all the speed adjusters in place, those ones were all run at the highest RPM.

Marc Fenneuff
09-21-2020, 11:12 AM
Porter-Cable's 89X routers haven't been as popular as their 690 line. I have a fixed/plunge base 89X and it feels kind of awkward and top heavy. The dust collecting handle helps but it's still pretty tall. Then they had a router with significant switch/variable speed issues - 7529 or something like that? So their recent routers have not been best of breed. Plus Black & Decker bought Porter-Cable, Porter-Cable didn't buy DeWalt. Sometimes it seems like that matters as to which name survives.

The late-model 7518s have had the variable-speed switch issue. It may have been fixed by now but the endless negative recent reviews of the 7518 made me pass on it for my router table. I went with the Bosch 1617.

I have a PC 890 that I bought about 10 years ago and have been pretty happy with it. It's still my go-to handheld router if I can't use my little palm router for a task.

Curt Harms
09-22-2020, 7:32 AM
The late-model 7518s have had the variable-speed switch issue. It may have been fixed by now but the endless negative recent reviews of the 7518 made me pass on it for my router table. I went with the Bosch 1617.

I have a PC 890 that I bought about 10 years ago and have been pretty happy with it. It's still my go-to handheld router if I can't use my little palm router for a task.

I'm happy with the 89X as well but if I were using it on a dovetail jig or something like that I think it'd be tipsy/top heavy. The squattier routers would be better there. OTOH I haven't heard of any variable speed issues with the 89X routers.

Dave Cav
09-22-2020, 4:24 PM
For years the PC 690 was my go to medium router. I still have at least three of them, two set up for my dovetail jig and one old D handle model. When they got hard to find I tried a DW 616 and I've been very happy with it. Same form factor, easier to adjust, and so far durable and problem free.

BTW, the smaller DWP611trim router is great, too. I use it all the time.

Dave Lehnert
09-22-2020, 5:19 PM
Years ago when looking for a router I had a hard time trying to decide between the PC vs DeWalt kit.
PC because it was the standard in routers back then. DeWalt because that is what I wanted.
I picked the DeWalt and like it a lot. Never regretted buying it.
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW618B3-Horsepower-Plunge-Fixed/dp/B0000CCXU3/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=dewalt+router&qid=1600809264&sr=8-6

Mike Kees
09-22-2020, 6:34 PM
It seems that Emglo compressors are the only brand that has survived the Dewalt/Black and Decker onslaught. They came back rebranded as "jenny" but same great stuff. It makes me sad that in this day and age it has become normal to use a corporate takeover of your biggest competitors to gain market share. Whatever happened to just making a better product ? I own at least 4 PC 690 routers and really like them. Tough ,durable, and strong motors with a low center of gravity, what's not to like?

Mike Henderson
09-22-2020, 10:00 PM
It seems that Emglo compressors are the only brand that has survived the Dewalt/Black and Decker onslaught. They came back rebranded as "jenny" but same great stuff. It makes me sad that in this day and age it has become normal to use a corporate takeover of your biggest competitors to gain market share. Whatever happened to just making a better product ? I own at least 4 PC 690 routers and really like them. Tough ,durable, and strong motors with a low center of gravity, what's not to like?

The thing I didn't like about the 690 routers that I used was no soft start. You had to make sure you had a good hold on them when you switched them on.

I think perhaps later 690's had soft start but I'm not sure.

Mike

Joe Jensen
09-22-2020, 10:45 PM
SBD has a long history of buying tool brands with high quality and a strong brand once they start to struggle financially. SBD quickly puts the premium brand on cheaply built tools. In the case of Porter Cable for example they keep some of the old tools around and try to cost reduce them but the real tragedy is how the slap the premium brand of crap catching buyers who are unaware. Some call this brand raping. It's amazing what has happened with tool prices in real dollars. Here are a couple examples. I started my tool buying addiction early. I saved and saved and bought a made in the USA high quality 1" stroke Craftsman jig saw in 1972. On sale half off it was like $79, 1972 dollars. According an inflation tool on the webs, 100 dollars in 1972 are equivalent to 626.11 dollars in 2020. So that $79 in 1972 is $494 today. A couple of years later I bought a 1/2" Black and Decker drill. They had three grades. this was the top grade and I paid like $90 for it. I've only replaced the cord, once, and it's still a great drill 45 years later. I also bought a Stanley router for similar money. Made in china has enabled us to get a lot more for our money but we have to be careful as much is super cheaply made.

mike stenson
09-22-2020, 11:15 PM
Yep, people expect cheaper and cheaper cost tools. So that's what they get. People complain heavily when you start talking equivalently priced items.

Curt Harms
09-23-2020, 7:05 AM

I have not a clue about quality or longevity but it is possible to buy replacement router motors that should fit lifts intended for PC7518 router motors. Here is one source:

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/u-turn-lift.html#router_motor_anchor

middle of the page.

John Conklin
09-23-2020, 6:35 PM
I work at a national woodworking retailer (not a big box) and we have been told that there will be no more PC routers. The reason we've been told, take it or leave it, is that their supply of motors and possibly other electronic components has fizzled. Who knows. I saw some paperwork saying that their replacement for PC will be Dewalt.

Dave Sabo
09-24-2020, 9:39 PM
I work at a national woodworking retailer (not a big box) and we have been told that there will be no more PC routers. The reason we've been told, take it or leave it, is that their supply of motors and possibly other electronic components has fizzled. Who knows. I saw some paperwork saying that their replacement for PC will be Dewalt.

Sounds like a well crafted corporate message that, between the lines, says "get lost".

How is it SBD can get motors and electronics for DeWalt routers but not PC ? They are pretty similar and I bet most manufacturers if asked, would love to increase they're output by 25,50,100% to an existing customer. The sales rep would practically be foaming at the mouth. Heck, the PC electronics weren't all that reliable to begin with.

Wish they'd just fess up and say they don't sell enough to warrant the hassle of keeping the SKU's.

Clifford McGuire
09-25-2020, 8:04 AM
My 30 year 690 is on it's last legs. Any suggestions for a good quality replacement.

Curt Harms
09-25-2020, 8:24 AM
Sounds like a well crafted corporate message that, between the lines, says "get lost".

How is it SBD can get motors and electronics for DeWalt routers but not PC ? They are pretty similar and I bet most manufacturers if asked, would love to increase they're output by 25,50,100% to an existing customer. The sales rep would practically be foaming at the mouth. Heck, the PC electronics weren't all that reliable to begin with.

Wish they'd just fess up and say they don't sell enough to warrant the hassle of keeping the SKU's.

When you own both brands it's easy enough to make sure one brand doesn't sell as well as the other. Just check the pricing on the compact routers from Porter Cable and DeWalt. DeWalt is cheaper - or it was last time I checked - and the DeWalt has variable speed and a light. The Porter Cable has neither yet cost more. Same company owns both brands. Hmmm .....

Andy D Jones
09-25-2020, 1:38 PM

When one line's electronics are older than another, component obsolescence can force an expensive re-design in the older line, while not yet affecting the newer line.

This decision was likely baked in when SBD bought PC. One or the other of its brands was likely to stop selling overlapping products sooner or later.

A competing brand is usually purchased to eliminate a competitor (when legal), and/or access/control a competing technology or a different market (users or price range), with no intention of maintaining both brands indefinitely, unless both brands still provide/service unique markets.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Bruce Wrenn
09-25-2020, 9:30 PM
My 30 year 690 is on it's last legs. Any suggestions for a good quality replacement.

If the armature or field windings aren't trashed, rebuild it. I own (10+) versions of the 690, plus a 630. New bearings and brushes and they will out last me.

Simon Dupay
09-26-2020, 2:02 PM
Very disappointing, But not unexpected as they've already discontinued their line of belt sanders

Warren Lake
09-26-2020, 2:20 PM
then its simple make the quality of stuff to what it was. Ive got 40 years on the Rockwell 3 x 21 and it was used when I bought it. At times I worked that thing so hard you could cook on it. It still works fine, the on and off switch was replaced once with a heavy duty one and it could use a new power cord. Then it became Porter Cable of some fashion.

I lucked out on the four routers, they were worked hard and still fine, they were always used full speed and hogged tons of material over the years. they were left running for hours as I was the human CNC machine going from one to another pre set up for different functions. There are some super bright guys here sure some of them would understand the speed stuff as soon as they looked at it.

Robert LaPlaca
09-26-2020, 4:20 PM

The Dewalt 618 is a pretty nice powerful and smooth running fixed base router, nice substitute for a PC 690 and I have 2 PC 690’s. Only issue with the 618 is the depth ring isn’t as precise or smooth as the one on the PC’s

Dave Sabo
09-26-2020, 4:31 PM
The Dewalt 618 is a pretty nice powerful and smooth running fixed base router, nice substitute for a PC 690 and I have 2 PC 690’s. Only issue with the 618 is the depth ring isn’t as precise or smooth as the one on the PC’s

couple of things:

the 690 equivalent in the DeWalt lineup is the DW616. DW618 = PC890.

can’t comment on the 690, but the DeWalt adjustment rings are more precise than the the 890’s adjustment wheel. It is coarse thread and has a good amt. of slop. I prefer the interface to the big ring , but it is nowhere near as precise.

Frankly, I’ve only used two routers easy to adjust and which I trusted the adjustment mechanism to be precise, accurate, and hold its setting. The old Bosch b1450 and Festools 2200. I’ve used a triton a time or two but felt its adjuster was a bit cheap feeling.

Robert LaPlaca
09-26-2020, 4:53 PM
Dave, I was commenting about the Dewalt 618 only because I own two of them and also own two PC 690’s, so feel confident that I can compare and contrast the two. Never owned a PC890 or a DW616, so cannot comment.

One PC690 I have is a later model 690LRVS model that has soft start, multiple speeds..

Ken Fitzgerald
09-26-2020, 7:17 PM
It's interesting as HD still is offering PC routers for sale online.

I have 2 PC routers, a 2 1/2 HP plunge router and a 3 1/4HP mounted on a Woodpecker lift in my router table. I also have a little Makita trim router which I beginning to enjoy using. I can't get most of the parts for the 2 1/2 HP router any more even at erplacementparts.

Curt Harms
09-27-2020, 8:59 AM
It's interesting as HD still is offering PC routers for sale online.

I have 2 PC routers, a 2 1/2 HP plunge router and a 3 1/4HP mounted on a Woodpecker lift in my router table. I also have a little Makita trim router which I beginning to enjoy using. I can't get most of the parts for the 2 1/2 HP router any more even at erplacementparts.

Can't get parts for the 890 when it just became known they were discontinued? Maybe there's something to the rumor that new parts are unavailable from the manufacturer. There's Elaire for replacement collets, brushes and bearings are pretty generic. Other parts though could be a problem.

Brian Behrens
09-27-2020, 10:50 AM
Good riddance. The electronics in the new 7518 are garbage and the warranty is not worth the paper it's written on. After mine died like most of the others, it took 5 months to get a resolution under warranty. PC said they couldn't fix it and I wound up getting a refund. This was after battling them to even accept the under 1 yr old router for repair under the 3 year warranty. After they had it for repair for 2 months, I had to launch my own investigation as to what the status was. I really think they just threw it in the trash and had no intention of contacting me. God help you if you ever have to contact PC for warranty help.

It was literally the worst customer service I've ever experienced from any company. Having been through this, I will move away from Dewalt also.

Dave Sabo
09-27-2020, 2:25 PM
Dave, I was commenting about the Dewalt 618 only because I own two of them and also own two PC 690’s, so feel confident that I can compare and contrast the two. Never owned a PC890 or a DW616, so cannot comment.

One PC690 I have is a later model 690LRVS model that has soft start, multiple speeds..

That’s fine , but but they are different h.p. / wattages as well as size and weight. 616 vs 690 is a better, more useful comparison. Otherwise , we could go round and round with all kinds of comparisons from all our collections that would only be relevant to us.

Can't get parts for the 890 when it just became known they were discontinued? Maybe there's something to the rumor that new parts are unavailable from the manufacturer.

ereplacement has lots of 890 parts in stock.

Mike Kees
09-28-2020, 10:59 PM
PC tools were awesome stuff before they were bought out and cheapened down. I do not remember ever having to spend money on a PC tool for repair except for the cheap plastic toggle switch on the later 690's. As a carpenter reliability and repair costs of various brands are important to keep track of. Just this summer I got my hands on a used Makita 9924 belt sander . Needed a new knob for the tracking control , it only cost $ 2.30. At the other end of the spectrum the most expensive parts I have needed were on Bosch tools. Wish I had figured out that Makita replacement parts were so cheap years ago. Probably would have way more Makita and less Dewalt stuff now.

wayne booker
12-27-2023, 12:15 AM
My 890 is still running fine in my router table, and I've recently become a convert to the Bosch 1617 and I really like it. So sad to see such a venerable brand just stop making the one thing that they were so well known for. Seems like when a company's fortunes rises with a successful product, the corporate leeches come along and buy it up when it's valuable, then set about cutting costs to squeeze out every dollar they can out of it and in the process kill the thing that made the company great. Then they just sell it off as a commodity to someone else who thinks they can do the same, but by then it's too late, the product sucks by then and customers are already moving along to other brands. Corporate greed is what killed it.

Edward Weber
12-27-2023, 12:08 PM
I know this is an old thread but now a few years on, I wonder if discontinuing the router line has hurt them financially.

I still try to avoid most things spld under the Stanley-Black & Decker umbrella.
No confidence at all that "X tool" will be there tomorrow, judging by what they did to the router line.

Bruce Wrenn
12-27-2023, 4:20 PM
I know this is an old thread but now a few years on, I wonder if discontinuing the router line has hurt them financially.

I still try to avoid most things spld under the Stanley-Black & Decker umbrella.
No confidence at all that "X tool" will be there tomorrow, judging by what they did to the router line.It wasn't just the PC line,but the Delta line also.. Most everything new I see branded Delta in JUNK. IMHO!