PDA

View Full Version : Hint so not to loose grub screws

Aaron Rosenthal
09-18-2020, 8:32 PM
As it happens, I often need to take a plane to a remote location for a little adjustment. The latest time I needed a bevel-up block plane, and my No 5 1/4, both Veritas.
When I got them home and started using them on a project, I felt the Block plane blade quite loose, as one grub screw holding the blade alignment was missing. I guess it was from the vibration of being in my tool bag, but naturally, couldn't find it even with a magnet.
I ordered a screw from Lee Valley, which they're sending out, but I decided that, since I often have to make little adjustments away from the shop, and I don't have any "beaters", I needed to find a way to secure the screws.
Another passion is riding my big, freak'n Harley, and you know how we love to tinker withn the things, I know the value of the larger tube of blue Loctite (insert the appropriate copyright sign here).
Backed off the screws, a dab of blue on the thread, adjust, the other side, and no more worries about them coming out. Works on Jointers, planers etc.

ken hatch
09-19-2020, 2:03 AM
As it happens, I often need to take a plane to a remote location for a little adjustment. The latest time I needed a bevel-up block plane, and my No 5 1/4, both Veritas.
When I got them home and started using them on a project, I felt the Block plane blade quite loose, as one grub screw holding the blade alignment was missing. I guess it was from the vibration of being in my tool bag, but naturally, couldn't find it even with a magnet.
I ordered a screw from Lee Valley, which they're sending out, but I decided that, since I often have to make little adjustments away from the shop, and I don't have any "beaters", I needed to find a way to secure the screws.
Another passion is riding my big, freak'n Harley, and you know how we love to tinker withn the things, I know the value of the larger tube of blue Loctite (insert the appropriate copyright sign here).
Backed off the screws, a dab of blue on the thread, adjust, the other side, and no more worries about them coming out. Works on Jointers, planers etc.

Aaron,

While it might cost a bit more, as a old Iron Butt rider I suggest you could also fix the problem by buying a 'Wing or a BMW :D.

ken

Andrew Pitonyak
09-19-2020, 9:15 AM
This is a picture of Aaron before he could afford his Harley :D

I do not own that particular plane, but, if the screws should not come out, seems like a pretty good tip about the blue Loctite (don't use the red by mistake).

Lee Valley is good to work with!

Aaron Rosenthal
09-19-2020, 6:08 PM
Ken, thanks. Harley unreliability as a legacy of the AMF days is largely over. My pals BMW waited 2 months for parts after his new R1200R blew the head off during a quiet early morning ride.
I’ve had Hondas, Yamahas, a Norton, and I think the least problematic has been the 2 Harleys. We love to tinker, though.
I Loctite everything because on 2 wheels if something falls off, so can I. I also religiously use a torque wrench.

Ron Selzer
09-19-2020, 6:13 PM
Some BMW's shake also to the point the mirrors are useless. Some BMW's are extremely smooth. Have owned both
Ron

Curt Putnam
09-23-2020, 8:01 PM
Blue tape and now blue Loctite. I wonder how long before Pekovich writes about it without citing source