PDA

View Full Version : Napping

Rich Riddle
09-18-2020, 12:22 PM
As age moves forward, I am becoming a big fan of afternoon naps.... Does anyone else nap?

Aaron Rosenthal
09-18-2020, 12:54 PM
I nap on Saturdays, for about 90 minutes.
Other than that, who has the time?

Lisa Starr
09-18-2020, 12:58 PM
Yep. I became a big fan of napping while I was being treated for cancer. I've kept the habit even though I'm 3 years into remission.

Bruce King
09-18-2020, 1:00 PM
Been napping my whole life, got it down to a science, power nap, 10 minutes is best unless there is a reason for longer. Set an alarm because over napping is bad.

Perry Hilbert Jr
09-18-2020, 1:17 PM
Been napping my whole life, got it down to a science, power nap, 10 minutes is best unless there is a reason for longer. Set an alarm because over napping is bad.

I was one that could never sleep when it was light out, except perhaps when very ill. Was always up by Sunrise and never slept until long after sunset. About 5 yrs ago, I started falling asleep at my desk. Just keep in mind that getting sleepy during the day is also a sign of a sleep disorder. I found myself falling asleep just sitting in a waiting room chair. Better now with little precautions and improved sleep at night. My wife would have a fit because I could fall asleep anywhere anytime we were idle even for a few minutes. I finally got help when I started getting droopy eyes just stopped at traffic lights.

glenn bradley
09-18-2020, 1:26 PM
During the dot-coms explosion we worked pretty much 24/7 so one learned to power nap and sleep in 3-4 hour shifts. If the building was tall enough I could even nod off in the elevator. Sleeping on planes was a breeze. A switch flipped when I turned 65. Suddenly I like naps ;-)

Jim Koepke
09-18-2020, 1:29 PM
Not since retiring from my last job. :eek: :D

For some reason it is difficult for me to fall back to sleep after about 6:00 in the morning. My mother was an insomniac and it seems to have been passed on to me. Since my consumption of coffee has been considerably lower over the past few years falling asleep at night has been easy. It may have been coffee consumption induced insomnia. Learning to calm the mind while awake has helped me through many a night.

Now while sitting comfortably watching a movie or TV program it isn't unusual for me to doze off.

jtk

Jim Becker
09-18-2020, 2:26 PM
I have never been able to nap all my life, even as a kid, and that continues with me as a 63 year old adult. I feel more tired afterward, likely because of the "kind" of sleep I tend to enter which is a bear to wake up from. So I don't nap. 'Can't sleep on planes, either...

lowell holmes
09-18-2020, 2:26 PM
I sometimes take a nap, but not daily.

Nathan Johnson
09-18-2020, 2:38 PM
Nope, never napper here, but then, I have a habit of not doing the things that are good for me.

* swigs coffee and takes a big drag on a cigarette *

Ken Barney
09-18-2020, 2:40 PM
Love my afternoon naps! I'm only able to get them one or two days a week and sure look forward to them.

-Ken

Frank Pratt
09-18-2020, 2:49 PM
I love taking a nap after a long Sunday run (and after a shower). About an hour is perfect.

Bill Carey
09-18-2020, 3:03 PM
LOML bought me a wonderful hammock several years ago and I was quickly seduced by the afternoon nap. Sometimes 15 minutes, sometimes all afternoon. Working from home (or the hammock) is great.

Steve Demuth
09-18-2020, 3:14 PM
As age moves forward, I am becoming a big fan of afternoon naps.... Does anyone else nap?

A good friend of mine, when he was editor of Horticulture magazine, had a small office in their facilities in Cambridge, MA. He napped after lunch every day. To get 15 minutes uninterrupted he closed his door, layed down on a mat on the floor, on his back, with his feet firmly against the inward swinging door.

I have many colleagues who are physicians. They are chronically sleep deprived. Quite a few of them have mastered the art of using administrative meetings to nap. I think they all learned to fall asleep almost instantly in med school and internship, and make good use of it in this setting. Their biggest challenge is that they develop an increased tendency to snore as they as they age. Not the best if you're pretending to be in a meeting.

My old man was a dedicated napper. Lunch at the kitchen table, followed by 15 minutes out cold in his lazy boy, and then back to the farm was his core noon routine.

Erik Loza
09-18-2020, 3:20 PM
Big fan of the siesta. I almost always take a 15-20 minute power nap after lunch. My wife says she cannot nap and is jealous.

Erik

Stan Calow
09-18-2020, 3:38 PM
I tell my non-retired friends that I sometimes miss my mid-morning nap, but never my mid-afternoon nap. They don't find it as amusing as I do.

Rod Sheridan
09-18-2020, 4:23 PM

Only at work when I'm paid for it :D

Seriously, I like a nap for an hour in the afternoon, I wake up refreshed and ready to tackle stuff again........Rod.

Clifford McGuire
09-18-2020, 4:55 PM
I don't nap, but I'm going to bed earlier.

But I'm waking up earlier also, so it balances out. I can't remember the last time I slept past 5:30AM.

Bryan Lisowski
09-18-2020, 9:55 PM
I am a horrible sleeper, I'm also 1 that takes awhile to fall asleep so I don't nap. I will nod off on a Sunday afternoon after a week full of bad sleep. I always wake up feeling worse.

Mel Fulks
09-18-2020, 10:12 PM
I have never been able to nap all my life, even as a kid, and that continues with me as a 63 year old adult. I feel more tired afterward, likely because of the "kind" of sleep I tend to enter which is a bear to wake up from. So I don't nap. 'Can't sleep on planes, either...

I think being told to nap when you are a kid ,and not the least bit sleepy, inclines the former child to assert their adult
power to use caffein .

Bruce King
09-18-2020, 10:43 PM
Bryan, try some Melatonin, just 3mg, about an hour before bed. Works for many people but not for everyone. I worked the night shift years ago and one of the guys was making fun of Melatonin and downed 4 of them a few hours before the shift ended. He must have forgot because the next night he mentioned how well he had slept that day.

Mel Fulks
09-19-2020, 2:08 AM
When you are tired, but too "wired", to sleep try chamomile tea. Works well for many and blocks frustration dreams. I
noticed that ,then read it was the " only known cure and preventive for nightmares". When my son was born I found out
that holding him made ME fall asleep. Nature contrives some nutty pranks.

Anuj Prateek
09-19-2020, 2:32 AM

In regular routine I sleep 7 hours/night and don't nap. Weekends I sleep 8-9 hours.

On days that go very hectic - once every 3 weeks or so - I take an hour nap after work, in evening.

I have tried normal day napping but it never worked. Can't fall asleep.

Jim Becker
09-19-2020, 9:54 AM
I am a horrible sleeper, I'm also 1 that takes awhile to fall asleep so I don't nap. I will nod off on a Sunday afternoon after a week full of bad sleep. I always wake up feeling worse.

Have you worked on identifying why your regular sleep is poor? It could be any combination of physical discomforts (the bed/bedding, skeletal things, etc), a chemical imbalance or breathing issues that keep you from getting enough of "that sleep" that actually refreshes. You probably have already, but it's a good discussion to have with your physician.

I think being told to nap when you are a kid ,and not the least bit sleepy, inclines the former child to assert their adult
power to use caffein .

Perhaps, but I only have one latté in the morning and don't tend to drink other caffeinated beverages other than an occasional iced tea at lunch out or something. There were times in my life when I didn't do coffee at all...still no naps. That said, I certainly was a willful child!

Ed Aumiller
09-19-2020, 6:57 PM
Love my morning nap of 1 hour.... no other nap...

Rob Luter
09-20-2020, 7:48 AM
Earlier this year I worked from home for about 6 weeks. Every day after lunch I took a 30 minute snooze. It was awesome.

Andy Haney
09-20-2020, 3:03 PM
I have a T-shirt with a message that "nap time is my happy hour".:D

Ken Fitzgerald
09-20-2020, 3:09 PM
In my 40's if working in town, I'd come home for lunch, take a 10 minute power nap and go back for another 12 hours. Then in my late 50's that ability went to the way side. Try as I might, I can't nap anymore.

Rich Riddle
09-21-2020, 1:08 PM
I just awoke from a nap, about 45 minutes..........aahhhh.

Bill McNiel
09-21-2020, 2:43 PM
I have a rule that is conveyed to all friends, family and clients, "Don't try to contact me between noon and 2 PM", I eat lunch and nap for approximately 30 minutes. This is my time to recharge for the balance of the day. I am a big fan of naps and have been for years.

I typically go to bed at 10 PM, fall asleep around 11 PM and wake up around 5:30 - 6:oo.

Doug Dawson
09-21-2020, 6:12 PM

Ever since I retired I can nap for three or four hours at a time, totally at random. I try to avoid driving or operating machinery when this happens. Knock on wood.

Erik Loza
09-22-2020, 11:25 AM
This thread is bring back all sorts of memories. In my former life as a manager with Petco, I was on a team who went around and set up stores in Northern California during the dot-com boom. After the building was cleared for occupancy, we would go in there, set up the steel, do the merchandising, etc. 10-12 hour days standing on a concrete floor. I remember arranging 40 lb. bags of dog food into mattress for post-lunch cat naps. We all had our little tricks. There was usually some spare room that was the catch-all for supplies or whatever. Unlike the general store lighting, which was all controlled via network from corporate, these small rooms had their own on/off switch for lighting, which meant you could make them dark. Those were favorite places. Someone would just disappear for half an hour and everyone sort of knew they were taking a power nap. Fun times.

Erik