PDA

View Full Version : Router table top ?

Angelo Schembari
02-20-2003, 7:40 AM
I finally got around to building a router table. The top is made of MDF w/laminate on both sides. What would be the best way to attach it to the cabinet? I'm worried that screws will pull out of the MDF. Thanks.

Ted Shrader
02-20-2003, 8:20 AM
Angelo -

When attaching the top to the base, screws will work unless you plan to pick the whole table up by its top. Most all of the forces experienced by the screws will be perpendicular to the threads. Therefore screws will hold.

You could use L brackets to hold the top down or directly through the frame of the base. Just depends on how your base is designed.

In the future if a screw works loose, you can always driill it out, glue in a piece of wood (dowel) and re-insert the screw.

Good Luck,
Ted

RJ Schuff
02-20-2003, 8:28 AM
I think that the table top with router mounted would have enough heft to it that just glueing cleats to the bottom of the table top would be sufficient to keep it in place. Just place the cleats inside the perimeter of the frame.

RJ

Dennis Peacock
02-20-2003, 9:24 AM
I agree with RJ......I simply used a poly glue and put some triangle shaped scraps to the underside of my table top and also screwed them to the top and then used screws to fasten the cabinet and top together........worked really well.....has survived 8 years of use and abuse as well as moving 450 miles from Al to AR.

Let us know how you decide...

Dennis - :D

Angelo Schembari
02-20-2003, 9:46 AM
Originally posted by Dennis Peacock
I agree with RJ......I simply used a poly glue and put some triangle shaped scraps to the underside of my table top and also screwed them to the top and then used screws to fasten the cabinet and top together........worked really well.....has survived 8 years of use and abuse as well as moving 450 miles from Al to AR.

Let us know how you decide...

Dennis - :D

Dennis, I think I'm going to use the traingle approach, but how did you screw the cabinet and top together?

Angelo

Tim
02-20-2003, 10:50 AM
In the updated design for Norm's router table that aired last month, he used cleats only as RJ suggested. He used NO attachment between the top and cabinet. As long as the cleats fit well, it won't slide around at all. As long as the overhang isn't too great, the weight of the router should hold it down fine. And just lift off the top if you want to replace/refinish it or get inside the cabinet to modify it. Seemed like a reasonable idea to me. I bought the New Yankee plans (taped the show) and hope to build Norm's new table sometime this year.

Good luck!

Dennis McDonaugh
02-20-2003, 11:18 AM
I used table top mounting hardware--you those little tabs that insert into a small dado in the side of the cabinet.

Rik Rickerson
02-20-2003, 3:26 PM
I simply used lag bolts. The 2" thick top has enough weight to keep it from moving around.

Rik

David Rose
02-20-2003, 5:00 PM
I built the Router Magic table and cabinet. Cleats are run along the outside edge of the cabinet. I screwed and glued mine to the bottom of the backer board and into the MDF. At the rear of the cleats, holes are drilled across and through the cabinet. With bolts through the holes, the top hinges up in the front. Bill shows latches, but I didn't use any and nothing moves. I did use a lid support to hold it up when open.

David