PDA

View Full Version : Buyers remorse?

Peter Pedisich
12-31-2005, 11:52 PM
Hi,

Thanks to all for your input on my previous Jigsaw/drill questions.

I recently was trying to decide between a Bosch 1591 and the Festool Trion, after getting good advice here and from freinds I purchased the Bosch. The Festool was more compact and just felt better in my hands than the Bosch but the Bosch was still much more ergonomic than my old jigsaw (B&D4200 Quantam 3.5a, made in England), plus the Bosch had a blower which I wanted and better blade visibility with the anti-chip insert. Most of this is just "stuff on paper" so I took it to some 2x wood clamped to my MFT and yes it made an almost 90 degree cut (close enough for me!) in the 1-1/2" height and yes I only cut about 18" of wood but what struck me right away was the noise and vibration. You see I was expecting it to sound and feel like the $100 difference in cost from my B&D, but my old wavy B&D is quieter and smoother on any speed. Hard to believe and even harder to admit after parting with my hard earned cash.

But I've got it in perspective, it sure cuts better than the B&D so I should be thankful I can afford and enjoy a top quality tool and I get to spend the Holidays with my 2-1/2 year old son. Not all are so fortunate.

But as for the noise/vibration, could it be due to the much greater power of the Bosch? 6.4 amps versus 3.5? I'm going to use it more in the coming weeks on some pine and maple and see how it performs.

Pete

John Miliunas
01-01-2006, 12:23 AM
Congrats on your new "almost" purchase!!!:D ("Almost"????) Yeah, that's right! You may know you have it but, the rest of us REQUIRE pics for the real proof!!!:D Anyhow, hope you enjoy it!:) :cool:

Peter Pedisich
01-01-2006, 12:26 AM
Photos coming in the morning!

Steve Clardy
01-01-2006, 12:50 AM
Hmmm. Mnes quiet, vibration free.

But. The less teeth on the blade, makes it more agressive.
What blade are you running?

David Fried
01-01-2006, 12:53 AM
Congrats! See if you can get pictures of the noise :confused: :confused:

Dave Fried

Kirk (KC) Constable
01-01-2006, 1:03 AM
I finally broke down and bought a Bosch after years of putting it off because I really only 'need' one every now and again. I'm pretty disappointed in it...lots of vibration and 'grabby' no matter what I do with it. That said, it DOES make a 90 degree cut...

KC

Wes Bischel
01-01-2006, 2:20 AM
Pete,

Just a thought, there are a few settings for the orbital action. If you have it set for the agressive mode it will be harsh. I've got the lower end version 1584 and it will run smooth on finer cuts.

FWIW,
Wes

Jim Fancher
01-01-2006, 3:46 AM
My 1591 is due to show up on 1/6/06. It's replacing a Craftsman scrolling jigsaw that I'm not really sure where it came from. It sort of showed up in my garage a decade ago and never left. Lucky me. :rolleyes:

Kirk (KC) Constable
01-01-2006, 4:19 AM
It's grabby on all settings...and using good (Bosch) blades.

Jim Marshall
01-01-2006, 4:29 AM
I have had two Bosch jigsaws and I have loved them. I do get some viberation from them but it is by far the best one I have used. I have had a couple of the down shear blades that really did some viberating because I wasn't holding the saw down tight enough, other than that I haven't had any problems with them.

Mark Singer
01-01-2006, 4:32 AM
I have had the Bosch for many years and it is a great machine with total control....their sanders and routers are also great!

Kirk (KC) Constable
01-01-2006, 6:23 AM
I have had two Bosch jigsaws and I have loved them. I do get some viberation from them but it is by far the best one I have used. I have had a couple of the down shear blades that really did some viberating because I wasn't holding the saw down tight enough, other than that I haven't had any problems with them.

II've gotta lean on mine so hard it makes me tired trying to keep it under control. Must be doing something wrong. I think I'm using Bosch Aggressor (?) blades...

Bob Noles
01-01-2006, 7:41 AM
Peter,

I am really surprised. I have had nothing but great results with mine for nearly a year now. Very quiet and smooth.

Chris Barton
01-01-2006, 7:46 AM
I have the Bosch too and it is a great jig saw but, it is extremely loud. I never forget to wear hearing protection with the Bosch...

Bill Grumbine
01-01-2006, 8:16 AM
I have had the Bosch for many years and it is a great machine with total control....their sanders and routers are also great!

Hi Mark

I think that might be part of the problem. I was reading through Pete's post and the rest of the thread, and thinking about how much better my Bosch jigsaw worked, and still works, over the very cheap Black and Decker that I used to own. But then it hit me, I bought that saw almost 20 years ago! :eek: It is old fashioned by today's standards - I have to use a screwdriver to change the blade, and an Allen wrench to change the shoe (which almost never happens), but it is as smooth as smooth can be for a jigsaw, in any of the orbiting modes or speeds at which I set it. I have some pretty aggressive blades for it too, ones that will allow it to cut almost as fast as a homeowner circular saw, and it does just fine. I think that things may have changed in the past 20 years. I also think I am getting to be crotchety.;)

Bill

James Ayars
01-01-2006, 8:54 AM
I've got the Bosch 1590 and I think it's A+. Compared to my B&D piece of junk it is pure heaven. I would fire both of them up today to see which is louder, but I don't like to even look at the B&D anymore.

Also, I wear ear plugs when I'm running anything, even cordless drills, so even if it's louder it wouldn't bother me.
James

JayStPeter
01-01-2006, 8:54 AM
My Bosch is a world different from the late '80s B&D it replaced. Much smoother and no tendency to grab. The B&D ruined a fair number of pieces and was destroyed in the aftermath of one of them. I've never had the slightest inclination to throw the Bosch or beat it with a framing hammer.:cool:

Jay

Peter Pedisich
01-01-2006, 12:53 PM
Ok, John, here are pics - it really exists!

Wes - I did try the different orbital settings, pretty aggressive!

Steve, I just tried out the sample wood blade that came with the saw.

As you can see in the photo, nice square cut and plenty powerful.

I'll get used to the noise, my Bosch handheld planer is loud as can be but cuts clean!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Pete

John Miliunas
01-01-2006, 1:55 PM
Looks to be a very capable unit, Pete and no, you should NOT have any remorse!:) Appears to cut well and that would be it's main objective, if I'm not mistaken. As for the noise, I guess maybe that's why we call these things "power" tools! :D Don't get me wrong; I really enjoy a number of my Neander tools but, you'll take me electron burners away over my dead body!:D :cool:

Richard Wolf
01-01-2006, 2:25 PM
Nice looking saw Peter. I think a selection of saw blades may help, even when you think you are not making sharpe turns, those standard blades can start to vibrate the tool. You also look like you have a course blade on it.

Richard

Frank Chaffee
01-01-2006, 4:26 PM
Peter,
Beautiful saw.

Very nice cuts through 3” thick wood, too.

The radius of those arcs is very tight. I suspect that the back of the blade is running along the side of the kerf and causing some of the vibration you experienced.

Once when I had lots of tons of 11 and 14ga. (~ 1/8” and ~ 1/16” thick) steel to cut 22” radius arcs in, I learned to grind the trailing edge of the blade so I could precisely follow the scribed line [Edit: Insert; “without so much resistance from behind”].

Frank