PDA

View Full Version : An Old Newbie

Gordon Achterhof
12-31-2005, 10:44 PM
Guess I might as well check in as a new member. Have been lurking for many months. Have not done much turning but was introduced to a lathe in '48 but it didn't take. Did a little better about 7 years ago when I got a Jet to go along with the other tools that I had collected. Other than making bearing drivers out of old oak for my neighbor, all I have to my credit are two things that look like a vase of some sort. But last month I got the itch and got a mini Jet and have made some pens. Now I am waiting for a DVD by a gentleman from this forum and when it arrives, maybe an old dog can learn some new tricks.

Cheers
Gordon

Mark Singer
12-31-2005, 10:49 PM
I will give you a quick welcome! Cause all the old Buds are patting each other on the back...a lot a nice guys here and very little . if any , fertilizer

John Hart
12-31-2005, 10:55 PM
Hot Dog Gordon! Never too late to get back in the saddle! Welcome!!:) :)

Von Bickley
12-31-2005, 11:06 PM
Gordon,
Welcome to the Creek...

Always good to get new members, especially those from the wonderful state of South Carolina.

Bernie Weishapl
12-31-2005, 11:08 PM
Welcome Gordon. Come on in. Lots of knowledge and lots of nice folks. Like Mark said little if any fertilizer.

Ernie Nyvall
12-31-2005, 11:12 PM
I will give you a quick welcome! Cause all the old Buds are patting each other on the back...a lot a nice guys here and very little . if any , fertilizer

Hey... was that a shot??? It was a mighty slick one if it was. :D

Welcome Gordon and enjoy yorself.

Ernie

Dick Parr
12-31-2005, 11:16 PM
Welcome to the Creek Gordon:)

John Miliunas
01-01-2006, 1:04 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Gordon! Load of super information and even better cast of characters!!!:) Come often, stay long and, seeing as to how nobody else mentioned it, we Love pics!!! :) :cool:

Bob Noles
01-01-2006, 7:26 AM
Welcome to the vortex Gordon.

Be afraid.... be very afraid..... there are some weird folks that hang out in the Turner's forum.

Have fun but be careful :D

Keith Burns
01-01-2006, 8:33 AM
Welcome Grodon ! You won't find a better place to make new friends:) :)

Gordon Achterhof
01-01-2006, 8:57 AM
Thanks everyone for the welcome. Haven't hardly figured out how to use a computer and ya'll want pics. Sometime in the future maybe and with a lot of help. Destroyed a small egg cup???? yesterday with no damage to me but the cup is toast. The lathe and chuck came out OK but I think that I will attack something a little softer than a piece of oak that has been on the shop floor for many years. Can you say like rock?

Now need to go turn on the heat (39) in the shop and wait for the temp to come up so I can destroy something else.

Cheers
Gordon

Andy Hoyt
01-01-2006, 9:29 AM
Gordon the Destroyer! I like that.

Welcome to the creek. Okay, so the intervals have been a bit extreme, but you can still say that you've been turning for 57 years. And that's impressive in any book. There are numerous threads in the Support Department that can guide you through the photo thing.

Mark Cothren
01-01-2006, 9:30 AM
Welcome Gordon!

John Bailey
01-01-2006, 9:43 AM
Welcome Gordon. I don't turn, but I always check the turner's forum because these folks are out of their minds and it's fun to see what their up to. You'll enjoy the "Creek" and you'll be up and turning in no time if you heed the advice you'll get here. Mind you, think about the advice first, cause the turners might get a bit playful with you.

Again, welcome and enjoy.

John

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2006, 10:54 AM
Welcome to the Creek Gordon! Like John I'm not a turner but I always check the turner forum. I beg to differ with John ....these turners aren't out of their minds......I'm beginning to think it's turning the exotics that affects them......or maybe their putting oregano on their brownies again....:eek: :D

Again.....Welcome!

Dennis Peacock
01-01-2006, 11:32 AM
Welcome to the Creek Gordon.!!!!!!!! That lathe adiction can get pretty bad.!!!;)

Hey, we don't care about how old you are. After all, take a look and Ken Fitzgerald, Bob Noles, and Andy Hoyt!!!:p :p :D

Mike Forsman
01-01-2006, 4:20 PM
Welcome to the SMC. Great place to learn.

Jim Becker
01-01-2006, 6:00 PM
Knock off the "old" part... ;)

And welcome to SMC and "the addiction"!!